Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Will you be purchasing TES V: Skyrim?

Will you be purchasing Skyrim?

• Yes; in fact I have it pre-ordered

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I will pick it up at release

• Yes, I'll eventually buy it, but no rush

• No, I have no interest in it at all

• No, but I will be sailing the Seven Seas to pillage its booty yargh!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Captain Shrek said:
Mastermind said:
Also, judging by the argonian ability, everybody has basic health regeneration. Let the butthurt begin. :smug:

Why is this idiot happy about the regen? Or am I answering my own question?

I have more and more trouble being able to follow the erratic thought patterns of drooling imbeciles, so kindly explain to me how you deducted that I'm happy about health regeneration. I thought it was pretty clear that I was merely enjoying the butthurt it would cause. I don't give a fuck about health regeneration one way or another.

Captain Shrek

Crispy said:
Yeah how did Bretons get fucked? 75% magic resist at the start of the game for a full minute? That almost sounds overpowered.

heh. In morrowind I could make a breton character wear a hairshirt of someone with 50% resist magicka and that would give the char a 100% resistance as they have NATURAL 50% resist magica. 100%. And that was in the first half hour of the game.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Crispy said:
Yeah how did Bretons get fucked? 75% magic resist at the start of the game for a full minute? That almost sounds overpowered.

Because they used to have 50% permanent magic resist and huge physical damage resistance for a full minute. Not to mention a magicka bonus.

Foamhead

Educated
I was going to vote...but I didn't see a "Yes, and I'm gonna slap my penis around with the box"option.

Oh well.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
That still doesn't sound like a buttfucking to me. It sounds more like a slightly less derped-down game.

Yes, you can use the phrase 'derped-down' in the future if you'd like.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Finally, they stopped giving Altmer shitty downsides. Now they are mediocre instead of dying to magic in one shot.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
DragoFireheart said:
Finally, they stopped giving Altmer shitty downsides. Now they are mediocre instead of dying to magic in one shot.

altmer were one of the more powerful races in oblivion and the most powerful one in morrowind.

DragoFireheart

Mastermind said:
DragoFireheart said:

altmer were one of the more powerful races in oblivion and the most powerful one in morrowind.

Eh, in Oblivion they were decent so I agree there but in Morrowind they are ass because Alchemy/Enchant are better than casting spells, making their racial abilities kinda worthless. Had you replaced Morrowind with Daggerfall I would have agreed with you.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
DragoFireheart said:
Mastermind said:
DragoFireheart said:

Eh, in Oblivion they were decent so I agree there but in Morrowind they are ass because Alchemy/Enchant are better than casting spells, making their racial abilities kinda worthless. Had you replaced Morrowind with Daggerfall I would have agreed with you.

Most morrowind racial abilities are worthless. I still use magicka for casting some utility spells that aren't worth enchanting though, so I like the extra reserves.

DragoFireheart

Even in that case, mass creation of potions is a very easy work around. Casting spells in Morrowind was a waste of time outside of utility spells like Mark/Recall, Levitate, etc.

Mastermind said:
Crispy said:

Because they used to have 50% permanent magic resist and huge physical damage resistance for a full minute. Not to mention a magicka bonus.

They still have the best bonuses. Someone at Beth has a huge hardon for bretons.

I see they didn't like Argonian immunity to poison and disease, or Dunmer's absurd resistance to fire. That's a shame, these things made them feel more unique. Joke character Bosmer got shafted* as always, no surprises there. Khajiit get "15 damage" with their hands, which I guess will be useless after a couple of hours. The one bonus that would work better as percentage (thus being useful through the game), and they make it a fixed value :/ . Altmer lost the disadvantages that made them somewhat interesting compared to Bretons, whoop-de-do.

The Imperial Luck ability sounds funny in theory, but it just affects gold coins and not valuables in general. That translates to finding 120 coins in a barrel instead of 100, which would be cool if the dead bandit next to it wasn't carrying $300 worth in equipment.

On the plus side, the Orc's berserk doesn't suck massive redguard dick now.

* lol like an arrow shaft geddit because theyre archers rofl

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Actually it looks p. overpowered, inflict twice as much damage and take only half as much for 1 minute?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Clockwork Knight said:
They still have the best bonuses. Someone at Beth has a huge hardon for bretons.

I dunno, I'll probably go with a high elf if I'm playing a mage.

The Imperial Luck ability sounds funny in theory, but it just affects gold coins and not valuables in general. That translates to finding 120 coins in a barrel instead of 100, which would be cool if the dead bandit next to it wasn't carrying $300 worth in equipment.

From what that retard playing in the 3 hour video (of which the last half an hour or so is just him trying to pick a lock and failing) said, money's pretty scarce.

^Well, that's into the early game. As soon as he starts to encounter enemies with moderately decent equipment (say, steel), the economy will go outta whack as always.

Excidium said:
Actually it looks p. overpowered, inflict twice as much damage and take only half as much for 1 minute?

Yeah, but they lost their constant 25% magic resistance.

Erzherzog

Magister
Excidium said:

It used to drain agility to fuck all, meaning all that strength and health but you did quickly because you had no stamina and couldn't hit shit.

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
11/11/11 will be a very annoying day indeed. Then the next four years as all my friends laud Skyrim as the best thing ever. They will tell me that it has the best story telling, combat, dialogue, and mechanics ever to be seen in a video game.

I feel like lighting things on fire. I feel as though there is no more hope for the cRPG genre in this modern age.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
In Morrowind, Berserk sucked since it drained Agility to 0, meaning being unable to hit shit and being knocked down even after getting hit by a throwing star.

Though Adrenaline Rush was pretty broken. It made the Redguard able to beat anything at level 1.

Captain Shrek said:
Crispy said:

heh. In morrowind I could make a breton character wear a hairshirt of someone with 50% resist magicka and that would give the char a 100% resistance as they have NATURAL 50% resist magica. 100%. And that was in the first half hour of the game.
But in Morrowind the Breton's resistance to magicka was useless since it only applied to effects like paralysis and not elemental damage. While in Oblivion it meant complete immunity to elemental damage (which was still useless considering how easy it was to make characters with 100% reflect magic or absorb magic).

Anyway, kiinda ironic they removed the Nord's frost immunity/resistance for Skyrim.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
abnaxus said:
Anyway, kiinda ironic they removed the Nord's frost immunity/resistance for Skyrim.
They did? Pretty sure I read they had some sort of cold/frost resistance.

+10 Two-Handed, +5 Smithing, Block, One-Handed, Light Armor, Speech

Battle Cry : Target flees for 30 seconds.

Resist Frost: Your Nord blood gives you 50% resistance to frost.

DraQ

Arcane
abnaxus said:
In Morrowind, Berserk sucked since it drained Agility to 0, meaning being unable to hit shit and being knocked down even after getting hit by a throwing star.
Fortify attack has far more effect on to-hit calculations than agility does. You were prone to knockdown due to drain agility (I guess they just wanted to make you easy to hit and for some reason didn't code anti-sanctuary of any kind - should've went with drain all armour skills 100), but once you started hitting someone you never stopped.

But in Morrowind the Breton's resistance to magicka was useless since it only applied to effects like paralysis and not elemental damage. While in Oblivion it meant complete immunity to elemental damage

1. It specifically didn't affect paralysis and silence, since those were all-or-nothing spells that could only be repelled with random chance based on willpower (and in case of the former, resist paralysis).

2. It was hardly useless, considering that all the nasty stuff, like damage attribute, absorb health, drain health or blind (including infamous BoBS) was non-elemental and that all interesting custom offensive spells that could be reflected back at you contained at least one non-elemental component.

3. It was far more balanced than Oblivion's "hurr durr resist magic does everything elemental resists combined do plus much much more".

Ivory Samoan

Liturgist
Just finished Oblivion this afternoon.. figured I better get that wrapped up so i'm set for Friday...

Oh and yes, buying/stoked/keen as for Skyrim.

Xbawx version to boot.

:yeah:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom