Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Will you be purchasing TES V: Skyrim?

Will you be purchasing Skyrim?

• Yes; in fact I have it pre-ordered

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I will pick it up at release

• Yes, I'll eventually buy it, but no rush

• No, I have no interest in it at all

• No, but I will be sailing the Seven Seas to pillage its booty yargh!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
iluvatar said:
It has a great modding community, which will in time make the game better than pretty much all other recent RPGs.

No amount of modding can ever fix a shitty engine honey. See Fallout: New Vegas.

Stinger

Arcane
It is, but the AI is still awful, the PipBoy UI is still cluttered as hell, the game engine is still unstable even with all the mods there are so far.

Finally, modding can't fix up the issues with the quest compass (which some quests do tend to rely on).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Multi-headed Cow said:
Fallout New Vegas is the best RPG in years, Jaesun. :rpgcodex:

It actually would be the second best Fallout game, if it were in the Fallout 2 or FOnline engine....

iluvatar

Novice
Jaesun said:
No amount of modding can ever fix a shitty engine honey. See Fallout: New Vegas.
The engine isn't that bad. It certainly won't stop modders from making a decent game out of Skyrim.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
iluvatar said:
Jaesun said:
The engine isn't that bad. It certainly won't stop modders from making a decent game out of Skyrim.

How exactly do mods make the game better? With implementing animu characters? Animated sex? Overpowered weaponry?

I've yet to see lots of actual content mods which make any gamebryo game better.

Stinger

Arcane
Project Nevada makes the game much less bullet spongy. Also there's some more UI tweaks by hotkeying grenades and stuff

And Puce Moose's dlc tweaks help to make them less combat centric.

Still doesn't fix a lot of the major issues, but I'd consider them pretty significant.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Jaesun said:
Multi-headed Cow said:
Fallout New Vegas is the best RPG in years, Jaesun. :rpgcodex:

It actually would be the second best Fallout game, if it were in the Fallout 2 or FOnline engine....

lolno

Isometric gaming is terrible brah

I agree it would be better if it was on a more competent engine.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Stinger said:
Project Nevada makes the game much less bullet spongy. Also there's some more UI tweaks by hotkeying grenades and stuff

And Puce Moose's dlc tweaks help to make them less combat centric.

Still doesn't fix a lot of the major issues, but I'd consider them pretty significant.

So they make the game even more FPS-centric, not interested. I want to play a cRPG, not a shooter with stats.

lolno

Isometric gaming is terrible brah

Who's shitty alt is this?

iluvatar

Novice
Surf Solar said:
iluvatar said:
Jaesun said:

How exactly do mods make the game better? With implementing animu characters? Animated sex? Overpowered weaponry?

Changes to character development / levelling, realism mods, getting rid of any shitty hand-holding features, etc.

Of course, the typical TES fan isn't interested in such gameplay improvements, which is why all the popular mods tend to be things like enhanced boobs, weapon and armor sets, new races, etc.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
iluvatar said:
Surf Solar said:
iluvatar said:
Jaesun said:

Changes to character development / levelling, realism mods, getting rid of any shitty hand-holding features, etc.

Of course, the typical TES fan isn't interested in such gameplay improvements, which is why all the popular mods tend to be things like enhanced boobs, weapon and armor sets, new races, etc.

No matter how many realism mods, gameplay improvements and what not you install, the game stays a first person shooter with tacked on stats at its core.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Sadly, Yes on the preorder front.

I was doing everything in my power to steer clear of this thing. Knowing full well how retarded elements of the game and design will be. But, what can I say? I'm weak.

That, and I love me some fucking Vikings.

I will also be herpin' and derpin' on my SexBawx. Big Ass HD flat screen, chillin with a vodka or six. Hittin' bros with an axe and feeling underwhelmed the whole time.

funkadelik

Arcane
Not gonna lie bros, I pre-ordered. I don't think it will be an RPG, but god damn I am always lured in by nordic settings. If only we could get a new Rune that stayed true to the original.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
GOTY (lulz) DLC version, maybe depending on what the Kodex Konsensus is.

funkadelik

Arcane
HanoverF said:
GOTY (lulz) DLC version, maybe depending on what the Kodex Konsensus is.

The 6Gb hard drive space is making me worry that there will be 10 or so DLCs before we get the full game.

iluvatar

Novice
Surf Solar said:
iluvatar said:

No matter how many realism mods, gameplay improvements and what not you install, the game stays a first person shooter with tacked on stats at its core.
It's an open world action-RPG. If you don't like open world action-RPGs to begin with, no amount of modding will change that. :/

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Yes, how dare I expected a game just like the original games from a new title with the same name...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
iluvatar said:
Surf Solar said:
iluvatar said:

It's an open world action-RPG. If you don't like open world action-RPGs to begin with, no amount of modding will change that. :/

Could you enlighten us on what cRPG's you have played there iluvatar?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Meh. Unless I hear from good sources that it is a decent game I am in no rush to get it.

iluvatar

Novice
Surf Solar said:
Yes, how dare I expected a game just like the original games from a new title with the same name...
The series has always had a heavy emphasis on first-person action. Arena and Daggerfall were dungeon crawlers for the most part.

Really, the main thing Daggerfall did better than recent TES games is character creation / development. Which is one of the things mods can fix.

Could you enlighten us on what cRPG's you have played there iluvatar?
I don't really recognise 'cRPG' as a genre... but i'll list some of the better RPGs i've played on a computer.

Arena
Daggerfall
Morrowind
Oblivion
Arcanum
Baldur's Gate (only the first)
Might & Magic VII
Gothic I & II
Betrayal at Krondor
Ambermoon
Arx Fatalis
Mount & Blade: Warband

Games which are more action games with RPG elements:

Deus Ex
System Shock 2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom