Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Will you be purchasing TES V: Skyrim?

Will you be purchasing Skyrim?

• Yes; in fact I have it pre-ordered

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I will pick it up at release

• Yes, I'll eventually buy it, but no rush

• No, I have no interest in it at all

• No, but I will be sailing the Seven Seas to pillage its booty yargh!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

tarkin

Augur
Wasteland 2
Only 40% of Codex population are BROs. That's sad.

circ

Arcane
KEEP ON SUCKING THAT MEDIOCRE COCK OH CODEX.

11.11.11 and have not played Skyrim, have not bothered to check reviews, haven't even copied it through the internuts.

I must be missing out on something. I wish I had missed out on DS3 too, why, the codex said it wasn't that fucking bad.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah, those losers. If you're going to play a mediocre action game at least make sure it's developed by Obsidian or CD Projekt first.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Excidium said:
Yeah, those losers. If you're going to play a mediocre action game at least make sure it's developed by Obsidian or CD Projekt first.
:lol: :lol:

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
(even though it's even more dumbed down and terrible).

Sorry Skyway but this is the evolution of cinematic gaming and immersion in it. Go and play your 80's excel games.

:troll:

waywardOne

Arcane
I watched a friend's kid play this tonight while getting drunk (me, not the kid). Bethesda will join EA in my sig.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I always give a try to all new games, I dont let past experiences dictate my opinion. Too bad lately (almost ten years) I always kept being disappointed.

Coyote

Arcane
Jaesun said:
124 138 BRO's. :salute:

We are the 42 percent!

DkeDk.png

thesoup

Arcane
Judging from topics and discussions, I'd say Skyrim is quite the bestseller on 'dex. The poll is a lie.

Rhalle

Magister
Out of the Barrow finally. Took quite a bit to tweak the settings, getting good FPS and eliminating the mouse float. And I'm still not happy with the outdoor lighting and shadows. The tree shadows are particularly horrible; they look like 8-bit graphics, even on ultra. And there's some weird slowdown indoors sometimes. And the UI is utter shit, of course.

Hardest difficulty is pretty tough. Just stumbled across a bandit chief and got wrecked.

Looks like a pretty good adventure-game sandbox so far.

:smug:

:rpgcodex:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
There's something p. wrong with this game, I get the same FPS regardless of AA configuration.

Also my FPS is way too low near intense light sources. I suspect it's all the goddamn bloom, and the shadows seem to be VERY demanding, even though they look like shit.

Gord

Arcane
Excidium said:
There's something p. wrong with this game, I get the same FPS regardless of AA configuration.

Also my FPS is way too low near intense light sources. I suspect it's all the goddamn bloom, and the shadows seem to be VERY demanding, even though they look like shit.

Well, I had a look at the Bethesda forums, seems Skyrim renders the shadows on the CPU instead of the GPU, which makes them rather slow. Apparently consoles are better of that way, but it's most retarded on the PC.

Fucking half-assed console ports...

Rhalle

Magister
Excidium said:

Yeah. There's something going on with the bloom and the lighting/shadows.

Edit:

Apparently it renders shadows on the CPU for the tardboxes.

The big deal is that Skyrim is CPU dependent; and while it isn't even coded to use more than 2 threads, it still offloads shadows from the GPU to the CPU.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sky ... 074-9.html

Bethshit fail.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Obllvion had the same problems with flickering torches eating up too much CPU power.
If it hasn't already been made a No Flicker mod will probably be made. Should be extremely easy and quick to make.

And turn off Bloom. It just makes the game look more gay anyway.

Absolutely not.

I struggle to understand the mentality of bitching about a game and then spending time or money pirating/buying the game and playing it - just to point out how bad it is OF COURSE :roll: .

It makes me wonder whether some of the newer posters even understand what makes folks here hate certain games - they join in bitching because everyone does, and sheepishly crawl back a year later to admit that they actually liked AP or Arkham Asylum, because they never understood the criticisms they were making of them to start with.

But fuck no. Why the fuck would I waste my time on this shit.

It isn't like there aren't better choices in the 'mediocre AAA market'. I've still got another run or two of FO:NV and some of the DLC yet to do, Arkham City, hell, another run of Risn, Dragon Knight Saga (Divine Divinity 2), another couple of runs of MotB (finished it, but only on one build, so plenty more to explore). Haven't played TW2 yet. And I've probably got another run of DX:HR left in me. And that's on top of my annual playthrough of DX original, plus runthroughs of FO, ToEE, BG2, Torment (not a great replay game, but it's time for me to do another run), JA2, and the odd bit of casual fun at TF2.

So yes, I can understand that there might not be any 'good' crpgs out recently or in the near future. But there's a fuckload better than Skyrim that's available. By the time I finish my current crop, Risen 2 will be out, and isn't even without leaving time for me to replay the classics (except DX orignial - that get yearly playthrough even if it means ignoring my child as he picks up the car keys and drives out onto the street unable to touch the brake with his legs, while I complete the France level).

So....Skyrim? Is it people here who are genuinely bucking the hivemind hatred of modern Bethesda? If so, some SERIOUS respect from me to you, even though I disagree with you wholeheartedly, I openly acknowledge that you have gigantic balls. But if it is hivemind crew just buying it 'so they can criticise it, of course' (yes, and I drink beer solely for the taste of it too), then you can go, well, fuck it, I'm too confused to think of an appropriate response:)

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
octavius said:
And turn off Bloom. It just makes the game look more gay anyway.
Thing is, you can't.

The .ini has a line to turn off HDR but it doesn't change anything in-game.

circ

Arcane
Ok Codex, I went by a buddy's place and played Shitrim for oh, about an hour. Walked to Riversomething and that was enough for me. First thing to fix was the FOV, although, it was still shit. Some hours later and I'm still a little lightheaded. UI was ass. What's wrong with a paper doll and a square or something? Must be fun to find an item when you have hundreds at some point. And the mouse, holy shit. What is this? Someone somewhere cried that you shouldn't blame gametesters at Bethesda because they're HARD WORKING MOTHERFUCKERS. Well, who the fuck are you supposed to blame for a mouse that moves even worse than AP?

So. Max settings, and you think this honestly looks good? Seriously? What kind of shit games have you been playing if you think this looks good? I think I was more impressed by MM 7 or something over 10 years ago. This is the same thing, with more detail, and A FUCK OF A LOT MORE GRAPHICAL GLITCHES. Holy shit I have not seen so much clipping in a single game before in my entire life. The textures are just laughable and the varying quality, oh man. And wait, wait, who said the faces were improved? Could have fooled me. It looks like Oblivion with a little more humanoid features here and there. Kids look just as downs syndrome-like as before. Anti aliasing? What's that Bethesda, something you put in your soda pop? And what the hell, are these shadows? Whaat? Graphically, I honestly have no idea what the fuck you people are talking about. Fucking DA2 has better textures, just less detail in the scenery.

Voices and music seemed fine. But, how are these guys supposedly talking with a nordic/swede accent as someone mentioned? Sounds like hollywood slavic to me.

Combat uh. I dunno? I ran up to imperials, clicked and they died. At some point I was sneaking, and they died just the same. Then I apparently did a finishing move a few times. Wow, this is exciting.

Then there's the amazing atmosphere. Ok what the fuck are you people talking about? It's exactly the same as Oblivion.

Ok so in closing. Did I suddenly get drawn into it despite a shitload of shortcomings? No. I don't want to walk from village to village doing shit in something that plays and looks this shitty? Why would I? People seriously paid 60 bucks for this?? No fucking way.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
If Skyrim DLC has Immortal in it then that is a pretty fucking huge incline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom