Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[WIP] Thirst, a Dragon Age mod focused on C&C

Shadenuat

Arcane
Did some starter quests, enjoying more detailed environments, new items and new dialogue. So far the only strange stuff happened to me is that I did't get Aneza/brigands dialogue upon exiting sewers. Had to talk with them by clicking on them.
Also, where are rats near entrance to sewers, and in sewers? Where are rats?! You hate Matt, Sea? HUH?!

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Did some starter quests, enjoying more detailed environments, new items and new dialogue. So far the only strange stuff happened to me is that I did't get Aneza/brigands dialogue upon exiting sewers. Had to talk with them by clicking on them.
Also, where are rats near entrance to sewers, and in sewers? Where are rats?! You hate Matt, Sea? HUH?!
Rats are gone. Fuck rats, at least giant spiders are scary and not quite as cliched. Plus I gave them special colours and patterns, you like the shinies don't you?

Not sure about the bug with the thugs not talking to you. Did you get the intro cutscene to the slums as well as the conversation with Aneza? I inspected my script and didn't see any obvious problems.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Did you get the intro cutscene to the slums as well as the conversation with Aneza?
Did't happen for me.

There's door you can unlock with rogue in main hall of The Pit which leads into black dimension of warp.

Where are the mages you have to find for templars? Does it have something to do with a brazer in the council square?

edit: found it. I helped Vivien to kill templars, but now I can't help demon kill Vivien because she's immortal after that fight.
Also the script for templars fires every time I enter collective now, so I can see invisible templars talking to, once again, mages gathered to kill them.
Also when I re-entered that location a lock on a door to Vivien's room respawned.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
There's door you can unlock with rogue in main hall of The Pit which leads into black dimension of warp.
Thanks. I changed the door to a plot-critical indestructible one because sometimes in the fights the door would be destroyed (cosmetic issue) but I guess I forgot to make it impossible to open. Fixed.

edit: found it. I helped Vivien to kill templars, but now I can't help demon kill Vivien because she's immortal after that fight.
Interesting, but how did you even get that far? The demon and his phylactery are supposed to go inactive when the Templar assault begins. I assume you got the dialogue scene on returning to the sanctum with the Templars, so that should have triggered.

In the meantime I added some extra scripting that make sure Xeknar is a) following the player and b) not dead when Vivian dies, to avoid his quest updating and anything weird happening.

Disabling the demon's quest if you help the mages against the Templars is weird, so I might change that. Just means I have to think about the ending slides and some late-game stuff harder.

Also the script for templars fires every time I enter collective now, so I can see invisible templars talking to, once again, mages gathered to kill them.
Should be fixed. Added some extra checks to make sure the event only fires once.

Also when I re-entered that location a lock on a door to Vivien's room respawned.
Side-effect of above problem. The issue with the demon you mentioned might be as well.

If you're up for more testing, please try dropping https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10680698/toolsetexport.7z into the following directory:

My Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\addins\Thirst\module\override\toolsetexport

Shadenuat

Arcane
Hm I did't get the dialogue with Virgil in dragon's chamber this time, worked as intended?

Shadenuat

Arcane
No bugs to report aside from those, although you might want to check on Justine again, I think she did't walk to archives door after helping me with cemetery door. Doooors.
Add a line of dialogue to tranquil lady to finish her quest when she thanks you for killing templars, so player won't have to talk to her twice. Also adding an option to ask Virgil and Mildrar about Collective's location would be logical.
I like Virgil trolling the party.
I found Arcanum reference awkward and richest dude out there being buffoon who casually throws notes and keys to top notch security system around strange.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I found Arcanum reference awkward and richest dude out there being buffoon who casually throws notes and keys to top notch security system around strange.
Fair enough.

I'm kinda curious how you feel about the new content and other changes, especially since you had the before-and-after look at things. Does it suck? Better than other stuff? Fun? Tedious?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Well the novelty value is low for me, but even so, fights are still fun, locations look even better and have more stuff to do than ever, dialogue, particularly companion banters is good, narrative flows light and I could't find anything to nitpick in it, the finale and slides give a good feeling. Aside from Bates silliness and bugs in Collective, I don't know what more can you add, mod seems polished to perfection.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Daw, thanks. And I appreciate your time spent very much, your help was invaluable to me. :love:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
All bugs reported by Shadenaut have been fixed. If anyone else wants to provide feedback or report issues, please feel free to. I'll be putting this up as final on the Nexus fairly shortly otherwise.

I'm really excited about this. :love:
I was about to start this up but didn't want to distract myself from a NWN2 play-through. I don't need anything good to distract me from that abysmal OC. Maybe I should wait until I finish DA:O....

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I might buy DA:O just to play this mod. ;)
I won't get mad if you pirate it, trust me. Not that I in any way endorse such unscrupulous behavior, but there's no need for you to spend money on my account.

I do not know.

Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about a specific toolkit. I was talking about the setting and BioWare's universe.

Anyway, I know what you mean about not doing a mod for New Vegas. Back in the days I've made a mod myself: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/41573/

It's a silly addition but I had a lot of fun doing it and observing it in action; and at the end, it's probably all that matters :P . Probably kind of fun people have when creating some buildings in Minecraft. Not that I would be able to figure out how to create a quest mod in this clusterfuck of an engine (the only dialogues I "reverse engineered" and copypasted the dialogue boxes).

I never managed to successfully optimize it either. I guess I broke the GameBryo. All kinds of anomalies were reported and New Vegas mutated into a completely unstable volatile, erupting monstrosity that I'm not sure an uninstall & new game helped for me. It just couldn't handle such an undertaking :lol: .

Get this: I had to abandon the .esp file I was working on because half of Strip was fucking flooded with water tiles that popped above ground, which GECK broke and rendered unremovable by any means, even after I removed it :lol:. The .esp was basically useless after this flop. Good thing I was regularly backing it up.

But it worked more or less, sort of. I even had a New Vegas Bounties II scripted random encounter to ambush me in Sierra Madre Lobby; or outside of the main gate.

So, yeah, I truly admire Obsidian.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about a specific toolkit. I was talking about the setting and BioWare's universe.
It's mostly a case of the game rules, engine and assets all sort of being tied into the Dragon Age universe. Although what we see of it is generic, it's not bad and I personally think that I did a good job in expanding some things that were hinted at in the lore of the original game, probably in directions far more interesting than the developers can ever hope to manage. In fact, based on hints dropped they might have picked up the same loose end for Dragon Age 3, so maybe we'll see who has a better interpretation/spin on it.'

It's also simply easier to work with an existing universe and get started on making content. But nowadays I have much more desire to do something completely different, as well... too many limitations in story, theme, tone, etc. imposed by the setting.

It's a silly addition but I had a lot of fun doing it and observing it in action; and at the end, it's probably all that matters :P . Probably kind of fun people have when creating some buildings in Minecraft. Not that I would be able to figure out how to create a quest mod in this clusterfuck of an engine (the only dialogues I "reverse engineered" and copypasted the dialogue boxes).
That was you? I have definitely seen that mod before (though I never played it).

I never used the GECK beyond a bit of initial messing around. I find the tools extremely unintuitive due to poor interface and controls, as well as just awkward content browsing and things like horrible framerate once you've got a cell loaded in. I just don't get how someone made a whole game using such shitty tools. I mean, the Dragon Age Toolset has a lot of limitations but at least doing stuff is not a struggle.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So, whenever I try to install this, daupdater just says "error." I'm using Steam's Ultimate Edition. No hokus pokus.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So, whenever I try to install this, daupdater just says "error." I'm using Steam's Ultimate Edition. No hokus pokus.
Which file are you trying to install? The 7z archive or the dazip archive? You need to install the dazip archive.

If you still get the error, youc an manually open the dazip in 7zip, WinRAR etc. and manually extract the files - just merge the "addins" and "packages" into My Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Which file are you trying to install? The 7z archive or the dazip archive? You need to install the dazip archive.

There are limits to my retardation :P

The problem was that the file downloaded from Nexus was incomplete/corrupted. Redownloaded and it worked just fine.

EDIT: sea, my game is crashing more or less constantly. It happens when I attempt to bring up a menu window (like the inventory or journal). Sometimes it happens 30 seconds after load, sometimes after 15 or 20 minutes. But always when bringing up a screen.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
EDIT: sea, my game is crashing more or less constantly. It happens when I attempt to bring up a menu window (like the inventory or journal). Sometimes it happens 30 seconds after load, sometimes after 15 or 20 minutes. But always when bringing up a screen.
I'm sorry to hear that.

Can you determine whether the problem is related to the base game or to my mod? I've never had a single crash that is specifically related to the mod itself. Try playing the regular campaign and see if you have the same issues.

Also, what crash messages are you seeing? Are you getting stuff like "unable to load module" when you go to new areas, or is it just hard CTDs? CTDs indicate there is a problem with the game install or your system, not the mod.

You said you were using the Ultimate Edition? Can you make sure you also have the 1.05 patch installed?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I've just played around 10 minutes of two different origins, hitting menus constantly, and I can't make the crash occur there. Switching back to Thirst, crash occurs. Specifically, I can open and close, for example, inventory, fluently and without issues in the Origins, but doing it in Thirst often loads for just a bit (until said crash, obviously).

It's a CTD. I'm running ultimate edition from Steam, so it should auto-patch (and my .exe version is 1.05 according to the config tool).

EDIT: It seems from some googling this was a common problem years ago, so it's not your mod, despite my testing saying otherwise. I'll attempt to fix it on me lonesome, sorry to trouble you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom