Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[WIP] Thirst, a Dragon Age mod focused on C&C

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
wut o_O

Don't you think it should state that somewhere? Or force it? I didn't think anybody but complete newbies auto-leveled. Of course I'm not using auto-leveling!

Are you telling me there is no way for me to complete the mod because I didn't level lockpicking?

I'll be patching now and checking out the door. I'm not going through with Hadrin's quest at this point, I don't have the save to do it.
I think you misread. All doors that have locks which are required to pass through, either have keys or can be picked by Aneza (because she will always succeed on those doors due to their "auto success" level).

I was just asking if you didn't put any points into lockpicking because you were auto-leveling. I'm not sure her auto-level script guarantees she will pick up those talents. Most optional locks are adjusted manually to the level you are expected to be at in a location when you enter it, provided you invested substantially into lockpicking. :P

Sorry for your negative experience there, it seems there were some last-second issues that appeared that I didn't anticipate and which never appeared in previous testing (due to very specific conditions or just stupid stuff like typos that somehow got made after I had already tested and confirmed things were working). All I can say is I'm doing the best I can to fix it all ASAP - it's embarrassing for me to release something and for there to be bugs in it, after all.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Oh, I misunderstood.

Also, the patch fixed Ivan's door - even with a reload of a save where I stood right in front of it :)

sea: When you get two dialogue options after an intimidate/persuasion, can you fail by picking the wrong choice, or is it just fluff?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
sea: When you get two dialogue options after an intimidate/persuasion, can you fail by picking the wrong choice, or is it just fluff?
Depends. If there's a skill check on them, you can still fail. There are also many situations where you can "persuade" someone but due to past decisions you will still fail (like if someone recognizes you as a guy who killed his friend). Most often it's just fluff/LARPing. As I said above, there are some hidden checks from time to time.

There are also a small handful cases where you will always succeed or always fail (like trying to bribe the outskirts guard at the beginning), but this is only in situations where you'd likely have to be a moran to expect it to work, or for story reasons it always works.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Another bug, this time of the really weird kind: If you put points into Errol's cunning, the points are spent but his cunning doesn't increase. I can reset point-buy and the points reappear, but his cunning stays 15.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Another bug, this time of the really weird kind: If you put points into Errol's cunning, the points are spent but his cunning doesn't increase. I can reset point-buy and the points reappear, but his cunning stays 15.
Check his items. Does he have one that reduces cunning?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Nope, but he has an injury that does. I suppose that's the problem. Weird, after playing Dragon Age 3 times, I've never encountered that before.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Nope, but he has an injury that does. I suppose that's the problem. Weird, after playing Dragon Age 3 times, I've never encountered that before.
It's probably the injury. See if healing it fixes it. You're playing the City Guard questline so you can sleep in one of the beds in their barracks to remove all injuries for free. If not... I have no idea what would cause the problem, as I didn't change any core game rules, but I guess I'll have to look into it further.

Thanks for providing all this detailed feedback by the way, appreciate it.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer

Delterius

Arcane
I'm sorry, couldn't play this as much as I wish I did. But one thing I noticed is that the door to the Chantry undercroft gives experience even if you open it with the priestess' key (this was from before Shadenaut's new round of testing, though).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Theron's model is invisible. There's just a big empty armor. Kind of eerie, actually :D

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Theron's model is invisible. There's just a big empty armor. Kind of eerie, actually :D
Urghghghghgh. Fuck. I just looked at it and the exported head file appears to be corrupted. I'll fix it.

I'm sorry, couldn't play this as much as I wish I did. But one thing I noticed is that the door to the Chantry undercroft gives experience even if you open it with the priestess' key (this was from before Shadenaut's new round of testing, though).
When you open it, or when you use the door and go into the next area? If it's when you open the door, it's just normal game behavior.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Justine won't open the door to the upper archives for me.

Whether I persuade her, intimidate her or whatever, she just says "follow me", then nothing happens. Luckily, I think I have enough constitution that I can open the door that way, so I'll try that. But thought you should know that Justine ain't much use :)

EDIT: Oooookay, CONing the door costs a bunch of approval with some of my team mates, so I guess I'm waiting for the fix...

EDIT2: Also, there are a high number of conversations that loop if you break them off. With Justine here, the convo loops if I pick it up again (except my last try, like intimidate for example, is missing). Another example is Ivan's guards. I intimidate them, they let me pass, but their models stay behind and if I initiate convo, the conversation starts over. Lots of examples of similar stuff.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Justine won't open the door to the upper archives for me.

Whether I persuade her, intimidate her or whatever, she just says "follow me", then nothing happens. Luckily, I think I have enough constitution that I can open the door that way, so I'll try that. But thought you should know that Justine ain't much use :)

EDIT: Oooookay, CONing the door costs a bunch of approval with some of my team mates, so I guess I'm waiting for the fix...

EDIT2: Also, there are a high number of conversations that loop if you break them off. With Justine here, the convo loops if I pick it up again (except my last try, like intimidate for example, is missing). Another example is Ivan's guards. I intimidate them, they let me pass, but their models stay behind and if I initiate convo, the conversation starts over. Lots of examples of similar stuff.
Thanks, I will look into the problem with Justine shortly.

You're supposed to lose approval with people for "tanking" the door, because they all get zapped as well, and usually get knocked out. The Constitution check is there just to tell you if you have a chance at surviving it. Maybe I will tweak that, but it's meant to be a "last resort" sort of option if nothing else works but you don't want to attack Justine.

The conversation with Justine sounds weird due to the fact that she's not unlocking the door for you properly, and isn't normally like that. For other things, like Ivan's guards, that was a legit bug. Do you have any others you can let me know about?

The issue with a mod of this size is simply that there are so many options that you have to play test, say, five times instead of once. Then that gets multiplied exponentially by how many previous things you have influencing just one situation. And then changing one thing will break something else, or you simply can't play the game as another player does and thus never notice the problems. Even stuff that seems simple in reality has many extra factors you don't see. For example, the meeting with Ivan - there are different conversations, orders of events, etc. which happen depending on how you infiltrated Fourth Scepter Hall, what you said to people on both that quest and previous ones - and that means unique scripts, dialogue, etc. for each combination.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Honestly, I think it's pretty impressive that you made it this far with the obvious plethora of choices there are. I don't think this is an honest release candidate, but I am thoroughly entertained so far. When I hit stuff like Justine not opening the door I'm all "awww man", because I enjoy playing ;)

Fix it soon so I can continue playing! :P

As for other conversations, I didn't write them down, sorry. But I can report on them from now on.

You should not "fix" the approval! I'm just saying that because I can use Justine I will wait for a fix!

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Honestly, I think it's pretty impressive that you made it this far with the obvious plethora of choices there are. I don't think this is an honest release candidate, but I am thoroughly entertained so far. When I hit stuff like Justine not opening the door I'm all "awww man", because I enjoy playing ;)

Fix it soon so I can continue playing! :P

As for other conversations, I didn't write them down, sorry. But I can report on them from now on.

You should not "fix" the approval! I'm just saying that because I can use Justine I will wait for a fix!
I've gotta get some food, just got back from work, but I'll deal with Justine very soon.

I mean, you can always... you know, kill her.

I also changed the behavior with Ivan's guards. If you intimidate them, the first pack will leave and you won't have to fight them if you get into combat later.

The good news is that the newer content (endgame and many of the sidequests) should all be bug-free for the most part. It's what I have tested most recently - the stuff you are playing in the main quest, especially the City Guard questline, is the oldest and hasn't been touched for a long time, so those bugs were always in there and never reported in the past.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
sea said:
I've gotta get some food, just got back from work, but I'll deal with Justine very soon.

Oh, no rush, I'm off to bed!

I mean, you can always... you know, kill her.

I'm not that kind of retired soldier :rpgcodex:

I also changed the behavior with Ivan's guards. If you intimidate them, the first pack will leave and you won't have to fight them if you get into combat later.

I only fought skeletons and Ivan - no mercenaries - even though I attacked him first chance I got.

Might I, by the way, suggest a quality of life improvement?

Merchants in DA:O have an annoying habbit of when you ask "may I see your wares?" they reply something and THEN you can click browse. In the long run, this overt amount of clicking gets annoying because you use shops so often.

Your shops have this as well.

Make it so that after first time, clicking "May I see your wares?" opens the shop immediately. Just a small niggle, do it if you wanna :)

EDIT: Also, I'm going away on a holiday thursday through monday, but I'll be playing your mod from tuesday again :)

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I only fought skeletons and Ivan - no mercenaries - even though I attacked him first chance I got.

Might I, by the way, suggest a quality of life improvement?

Merchants in DA:O have an annoying habbit of when you ask "may I see your wares?" they reply something and THEN you can click browse. In the long run, this overt amount of clicking gets annoying because you use shops so often.

Your shops have this as well.

Make it so that after first time, clicking "May I see your wares?" opens the shop immediately. Just a small niggle, do it if you wanna :)

EDIT: Also, I'm going away on a holiday thursday through monday, but I'll be playing your mod from tuesday again :)
That's a good suggestion. I can do that pretty easy. Thanks.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'm not that kind of retired soldier
You're the good, honorable kind?

Patch 1.4 is up here:

http://dragonage.nexusmods.com/mods/3496/

- Fixed a bug where Justine sometimes would not unlock the Archives door for the player
- When intimidating Ivan's guards, it's no longer possible to speak to them again and replay the same conversation
- Tweaked dialogue flow for merchants when opening their stores

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You're the good, honorable kind?

Hardly! Your mod allows for nuances, so I'm nuanced! There's a difference between being a crook and just killing people outright. Did I mention I was using the intimidate options?

Patch 1.4 is up here:

http://dragonage.nexusmods.com/mods/3496/

- Fixed a bug where Justine sometimes would not unlock the Archives door for the player
- When intimidating Ivan's guards, it's no longer possible to speak to them again and replay the same conversation
- Tweaked dialogue flow for merchants when opening their stores

:love:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
There's a bunch of the assorted scrolls that are unclickable. If memory serves me, there's one bunch on the top floor of the Crimson Talons offices. Then there are two more in the Upper Council Archives.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
There's a bunch of the assorted scrolls that are unclickable. If memory serves me, there's one bunch on the top floor of the Crimson Talons offices. Then there are two more in the Upper Council Archives.
Zoom the camera out and you should be able to click them. It's a collision/visibility issue that sometimes happen with the Dragon Age/NWN engines.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
@Shadenaut, did you manage to beat The Sentinel?

I have two two-handed warriors, both fairly well-equipped, as well as Daneza (who isn't very useless TBH) and some good spells on Virgil. But even if I get off a Mass Paralysis that paralyses every single monster, the sheer amount of enemies in that fight makes swift work of dudes. Even if I get 4 down during the paralysis, I'm still left with like 6 enemies - among these a mage with a million HP that interrupts any attempt at casting. Maybe if I had had a tank, but right now, this seems pretty near impossible territory.

Shadenuat

Arcane
In 1.1 Cooking Books quest seems bugged, the moment I took it, I got it updated thrice and solved, while still having an option to report a failure to the dwarf.

did you manage to beat The Sentinel?
Yeah, I even reported that few pages ago. Fighter with two-handers was the toughest playthrough I had, having shield-warrior with Taunt and multiple stuns is easier. You need to get the ogre, Grunt, to follow you, that will help a lot, and pause and kite like fuck.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
In 1.1 Cooking Books quest seems bugged, the moment I took it, I got it updated thrice and solved, while still having an option to report a failure to the dwarf.
Can you explain how you took the quest and how you got three updates at once?

The only way you are "supposed" to get it is by talking to Olen (dwarf), or successfully stealing the item (Mason confronts you if you aren't stealthed). You are only supposed to be able to turn in the failure if Mason catches you, and if you have previously got the quest from Olen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom