Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[WIP] Thirst, a Dragon Age mod focused on C&C

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Finished. I encountered a problem with one of the endings.
When i persuade the counsil of six that they should surrender their power to me, i still get the democratic end the same as if i would tell them to surrender the power to the people.
Other than that, great game. It's easily on par with profesional works. :salute:
In general your area design was better than the original, except from a couple of areas like Redcliff, Ostangar etc.
Your writting is good, and i agree with your desision to not go for the Tormenty style of dialog. Even if your prose was good enough to pull it of without sounding pretentious, reading walls of text in this engine would be a pain in the ass.
All in all, your C&C was enough that your game is fully replayable, and i'm sure i missed a couple of things. One actually, but it seems it was importand.
What was the deal with Ivan and his restaurant? I went there, they didn't allow me to ender so i expected to be allowed at a latter stage or have a quest about it. And then i forgot entirelly about it until in the Counsil chamber he gets a mention:mad:

The only negative side effect was that your mod made me mildly interested in DA:I :x. See what you have done here...
Thanks for the feedback! I will look into fixing the ending bug as I think another player reported it.

Ivan is involved in a City Guard questline quest. If you didn't play the City Guard side then you wouldn't have seen him.

EDIT: Actually, can you let me know if this is the text you saw at the end?

ss_bug.png

If so then it's not a bug, it's just what I decided on for the persuasion ending. But of course if you want to rule the city yourself then it's not fitting. Hard to write generic text there that pleases everyone.

Rake

Arcane
EDIT: Actually, can you let me know if this is the text you saw at the end?

ss_bug.png

If so then it's not a bug, it's just what I decided on for the persuasion ending. But of course if you want to rule the city yourself then it's not fitting. Hard to write generic text there that pleases everyone.
Yes, that's it. It's not that i can't rule the city myself, it's just that the "Surrender the city to me" and "surrender the city to the people to govern" had exactly the same endings.
That's why i thought it may have been a bug. If it's intentional, no problem.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yes, that's it. It's not that i can't rule the city myself, it's just that the "Surrender the city to me" and "surrender the city to the people to govern" had exactly the same endings.
That's why i thought it may have been a bug. If it's intentional, no problem.
Derp. I totally must have forgot to have different ending text for those two options. :?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Fixed, I had to add a couple new variables to track those choices and write some new text, but it's all good; now there are two different endings that reflect whether the player gives the city to the people or becomes its ruler. I realize this is a "minor" thing but it's pretty important for the ending to properly reflect the choices you make, especially if it seemingly conflicts what you chose. It really was just an oversight/omission on my part.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Thirst patch 8 is out here:

http://dragonage.nexusmods.com/mods/3496/

Full change log:

- Rewrote follower hiring script; now followers will start at level 1 with no pre-set attributes or other characteristics, and will automatically be given enough XP to reach the player's level so all points can be spent manually (requires new game)
- The conversation history feature in the journal should now work correctly
- Fixed a cosmetic issue with three guards in the Arceris Outskirts being teleported up on top of a wagon after the Outskirts cutscene played (pathfinding/collision bug)
- Fixed a problem that prevented players from turning down Knife's quest line and coming back to him later - now you can turn him down and you will be able to start his quests (must reload save prior to asking Knife about caravan raids)
- Fixed misaligned minimap in the Slums Hovel
- Tweaked pickpocket loot for a number of NPCs
- Cleaned up scripts to remove any NPCs who were supposed to leave an area but did not properly leave (such as when the player goes to a different area and returns before the NPC has finished leaving)
- Fixed a few waypoint names
- Fixed Olen Ortiga calling male characters "ma'am" when talking to him a second time (bug caused by previous changes to merchant dialogue)

I can't guarantee that every single bug is fixed, but all major ones should be out of the way now and playing should be quite smooth and stable. However if you have any problems at all, please let me know.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Patch 8.1 is up:

- Added additional dialogue checks to the Wizard Sanctum's Undead Guardian, to prevent rare situations where he might attack you in incorrect circumstances
- Added a check when pickpocketing the cell key from the City Dungeon Warden to prevent Inside Man quest from updating, if the player isn't currently on the Inside Man quest

Download it here: http://dragonage.nexusmods.com/mods/3496/

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I finally got through that sentinel fight, but due to tanking, Runt bit the dust. Now the journal tells me "We killed Runt". That's not entirely true though.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I finally got through that sentinel fight, but due to tanking, runt bit the dust. Now the journal tells me "We killed Runt". That's not entirely true though.
Thanks, I can make the journal entry more generic.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Okay, I barely managed to get through the fight with a live Runt now. When I went forward, Aneza talked to me. Then when I ran forward, Runt was gone and my journal updated with "Runt decided to leave and wait for his Master." 'cept Runt never said anything to me, he just vanished.

Again, minor stuff, but bringing it here anyways :)

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Okay, I barely managed to get through the fight with a live Runt now. When I went forward, Aneza talked to me. Then when I ran forward, Runt was gone and my journal updated with "Runt decided to leave and wait for his Master." 'cept Runt never said anything to me, he just vanished.

Again, minor stuff, but bringing it here anyways :)
He actually has popup text where he says that (no "formal" conversation) but yeah, for kinda obvious reasons he can't really follow you into the Keep. :P

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ oh, probably didn't see that. I hate the floaty-text conversations. You get thumbs up for having companion convos force dialogue-mode.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Patch 1.8.2 is up:

- Changed journal entry when Runt is killed to be more generic (previously said player killed him, but the same entry could also show if Runt was killed by an enemy)
- Fixed a rare combination of ending slides that could result in the ending slideshow not fully playing

I might go and add a full conversation for Runt leaving the party, once I have more time, but it's a bit complicated because multiple characters can possibly leave then and trigger conversations so handling more than 1 conversation at once could get tricky.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Maybe add some kind of bonus for keeping him alive. Keeping him alive was tough as nails, and no reward for the accomplishment was kind of sad :)

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Maybe add some kind of bonus for keeping him alive. Keeping him alive was tough as nails, and no reward for the accomplishment was kind of sad :)
Why would he reward you? Your payment for helping him with his trees is you getting his help. And what would an ogre have anyway? Is he just carrying a magic enchanted battleaxe around for decades for no reason?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Why would he reward you? Your payment for helping him with his trees is you getting his help. And what would an ogre have anyway? Is he just carrying a magic enchanted battleaxe around for decades for no reason?

I didn't really think of this from a simulationist angle to be honest (and I don't much care), I just thought it would be a nice piece of effort to reward. Could be done in all kinds of ways. Simply recognizing it in an ending slide would even be cool enough I suppose. It was just something I noticed.

After you fight assasins with Percival and he says he'll see you at Marketplace, no new main quests in journal appear and he's nowhere to be found at Marketplace
Thanks, fixed this. The same problem happened with some of the other possible quests that occur at that point depending on prior choices. You will need to redo the conversation with your contact for the quest to update properly.

I may have the same issue, only I get the new quest update "Seeing Ghosts" but I can't find Percival in the Market district... Perhaps I'm blind, where is he supposed to be exactly?

Oh and I really like the mod... At some point I will replay a character of a different race, gender and class doing everything different to get a feel for the depth/impact of C&C. As far as grammar goes there were few errors or misspelled words. The only thing that jumps to mind was Theron's dialog where the word main was used instead of maim(IIRC). But I really wasn't looking for any issues since the mod played really well, no bugs or anything(well up until I couldn't find Percival, but again I could be blind too).

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I may have the same issue, only I get the new quest update "Seeing Ghosts" but I can't find Percival in the Market district... Perhaps I'm blind, where is he supposed to be exactly?
You can hold down Tab to highlight NPCs in the area. He's fairly close to the district's entrance.

Yeah I didn't see him there... When I get a chance to play some more over the weekend I will load a prior save(either before zoning into the clearing or earlier and see if that does anything for me).

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yeah I didn't see him there... When I get a chance to play some more over the weekend I will load a prior save(either before zoning into the clearing or earlier and see if that does anything for me).
He's right near where you would have found Virgil earlier.

There shouldn't be any problem. The script that executes when you enter the Market District is:

Code:
            //makes Percival appear during endgame
            if (WR_GetPlotFlag(PLT_SEEING_GHOSTS, GHOSTS_QUEST_START) == TRUE)
            {
                if (WR_GetPlotFlag(PLT_SEEING_GHOSTS, GHOSTS_TELEPORT_TO_TEMPLE) == FALSE)
                {
                    object oPercival = UT_GetNearestCreatureByTag(oPC, "percival_market");

SetObjectActive(oPercival, TRUE);
                }
                else
                {
                    object oPercival = UT_GetNearestCreatureByTag(oPC, "percival_market");

SetObjectActive(oPercival, FALSE);
                }
            }
In other words unless the later plot flag (GHOSTS_TELEPORT_TO_TEMPLE) is set to true, there is no way he won't be there if you have started the Seeing Ghosts quests correctly. Make absolutely sure it's in your journal - the entry should say:

Percival, no longer Captain Percival, has got himself into trouble after stalking a Council representative. He thinks that the Council are protecting Bloodblade, for some reason. We're to meet him in the Market District to help him continue his investigation.
If he still isn't there at all, my only guess is that somehow your save file got messed up and the later plot flag GHOSTS_TELEPORT_TO_TEMPLE was set when it wasn't supposed to be. I've run into a couple of plots updating "randomly" during games before and I really don't know what could cause it other than something bugging out beyond my control. To work around it I have to initialize known affected plot flags when a quest is started.

If you can redo this and 100% confirm Percival is just not showing up for you in the right spot, I'll send you an updated script for the quest to see if that solves it.

curry

Arcane
What's the status of this thing? Is it in a playable state yet? If I ever try it, I'll try it once, so I'm not gonna re-install Dragon Turd if it's still some lousy bug version.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What's the status of this thing? Is it in a playable state yet? If I ever try it, I'll try it once, so I'm not gonna re-install Dragon Turd if it's still some lousy bug version.

1) You're a faggot curry

2) It's highly playable now, and even if you run into a bug, sea will probably fix it within the hour if my first playthrough was any indication

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sea, I've finally gotten a run at this mod and just got stuck during Forbidden Lore quest. I've turned in bones/blood & lyrium to the two respective sarcophagus' and when I approach the two spirits they thank me, then say they have one last duty to perform. Then convo ends, they walk back a bit, turn around and... nothing happens. They door down is still locked, they're not interactable, and neither are their sarcophagus'. What gives?

Oh and the quest progress in my journal is just saying the curse is partially lifted cause Old Man's bones are turned in which is kinda strange cause Hanged Man's bones and lyrium are turned in too.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Sea, I've finally gotten a run at this mod and just got stuck during Forbidden Lore quest. I've turned in bones/blood & lyrium to the two respective sarcophagus' and when I approach the two spirits they thank me, then say they have one last duty to perform. Then convo ends, they walk back a bit, turn around and... nothing happens. They door down is still locked, they're not interactable, and neither are their sarcophagus'. What gives?

Oh and the quest progress in my journal is just saying the curse is partially lifted cause Old Man's bones are turned in which is kinda strange cause Hanged Man's bones and lyrium are turned in too.
Do you have the newest patch? I fixed that a while ago. Also, do you have any mods installed at all?

Basically what I think happens here is that the quest variable someone how gets set before-hand by some sort of weird conflict. I have the game re-initialize the quest variables at various points in the quest to make absolutely certain it goes through properly, but if you use mods or did quests in some weird order it might still cause problems.

In other words, I think I know what the general cause of it is, but actually fixing it was kind of a hack-job.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
What's so janky about quest variables in Dragon Age? It sounds drastically different from NWN, where you were just setting arbitrary integers on any object. I never had the experience of variables randomly setting themselves in all my time modding that game, anyway.

(Unless by "randomly setting themselves" you mean you accidentally scripted them somewhere and forgot about it, but the way you describe it doesn't sound like a mea culpa type situation.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom