Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Wizardry 8 Enhancements - A Call to Arms!

Rpgsaurus Rex

Personally, I'd keep it available to all classes and at the default location, but I'd add some heavy "cursed" penalty as well.

Something that would keep it as a massive damage weapon, but make the wielder take much more damage as well (constantly unde the effect of some serious debuff? I'm not sure) - as a sort of last-ditch resort. +Berserk with no penalty should never become available (just like +Backstab should be kept as a Thief's exclusive).

townltu

Novice
Bummer about the difficulty, I guess I'll settle on single well-balanced difficulty level. By the way - what does the in-game difficulty setting affect?
The "ingame difficulty" has no general affects on combats or riddles/quests, everything must be prepared.
Lets say we have 3 combat difficulties and adjust the nessie/2 manta encounter.
1st i remove all 3 monsters from location, for the "easy" setting i could spawn 1 manta and a slightly weaker Nessie,
"normal" respectively "no changes" spawns the original monsters and "hard" 3 mantas + a stronger Nessie.
The encounter can be spawned by trigger plane/sphere on 1st arrival in location, or directly in front of the scene.

Not too complicated, only requires some time to set up, but you could adjust only some major events.
If the effect is restricted to a location, every Trigger or Dynamic Object will do,
for globals i trigger same NPC/script in all locations (this keeps the number of NPCs low, as its limited to 256)
the different actions set their specific locVar and points to the NPC trigger,
the NPC script "recognizes" the triggers with locVar conditional jump,
followed by fact conditional jump according to selected difficulty.
The advantage lies in switchability of difficulty during the game, you can always set/reset a fact or locVar
and change an encounter if not already spawned(even that may be undone)
E.g. Braffit would offer, of course for a nomonal fee, to send a prayer to the higher forces,
or sells a spcl amulet which occupies ID#660 in items database(see below)

"bloodlust" yes, OP, maybe keep as is and assign -5 pie and -25 to -50 mental resistance?
Backdraw will reveal at the new encounters with high rate of insanity spells :D

btw, Bloodlust has another special property,
besides the 3 artifacts it is probably the only item that triggers a fact(#206) if posessed by the party.
(see NPC script block1 of Antone)
Its tied to item ID, so we could keep the sword by placing a clone of it into another slot,
and use ID#660 for a major quest item etc, or the amulet above.

nearly forgotten: remove the cane from game

p.s.
bloodlust can be nerfed by adding more attack modes,
it appears the game engine chooses them randomly

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
What can be done regarding new dialogue? Reforged has an odd limitation of 1-time non-interactive conversations only, is that inevitable?

And what about making combat progress generally faster - less battles overall, more skills and experience from each? This way harder combat would make more sense too.

Rpgsaurus Rex

And what about making combat progress generally faster - less battles overall, more skills and experience from each? This way harder combat would make more sense too.

I'd say more battles, and harder battles. Chances are, people who will play a Wiz 8 mod are already veterans of the game (and massive combatfags on top) so don't be afraid to crank up the difficulty. More battles like the Cathedral encounter, please! ;)

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
How was the difficulty of the crypt battles? A cheated party at instant level ~30 (yes, the crabs) struggled through, and couldn't make the death lord, I think. They were overleveled, but unequipped and untrained. Haven't gotten to do a proper test myself yet.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
They had the starting equipment and no skills beside level-up points. Just needed "punching bags" party to watch the skeleton anims for a while, and they fulfilled that role.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Hmm, is it possible at this point to alter the class in that way?
What do you mean?

Anyway, regarding the base "fix'n'basic-balance-only" mod and the expansion stuff - I'dl like to reach some consensus on where to end the "base" changes (as in - to be a good choice even for 1st playthrough). As I see it the 0.5 is good as it is except:
-the missing faster crocodile anims
-redundant Zatoichi Bo (as I missed the scripted existing one)
-the item icons need finishing and some modifications here and there

Zetor

Arcane
I'm digging this mod so far. The higher magic damage is definitely noticable, and the faster animation speeds are a godsend.
(snip)
Also, spotted a possible bug - the game slowed to a crawl at some places in Trynton, never happened to me before.
I did notice something similar in Arnika when fighting some raiders near Anna's shop (with some HLL joining the fun). Basically what would happen is that one of the raiders would start a move, the game would completely freeze up for some seconds (up to 10), then he'd zip into place. However, when I fought another pack of raiders near Antone's shop (again with HLL assisting) there wasn't any slowdown.

DraQ

Arcane
The "ingame difficulty" has no general affects on combats
I'm not privy to Wiz8's inner workings, but it seems to globally modify stuff like effective resistances and various success rolls.

"bloodlust" yes, OP, maybe keep as is and assign -5 pie and -25 to -50 mental resistance?
Backdraw will reveal at the new encounters with high rate of insanity spells
I dig the idea. Or even add fear immunity (one that samurai have), but literally shoot mental resists through the floor.

Would add to the flavour, but make it very bad weapon to use for battles with anything that can cause insanity.
Maybe make it require really high level of remove curse too.

nearly forgotten: remove the cane from game
:what:
What is it with you people and wanting to nerf all the cool stuff out of the game?
Seriously, what's fucking wrong with you?
:x

p.s.
bloodlust can be nerfed by adding more attack modes
Yes.

P.S. Does anyone have any solution to my software problem?

townltu

Novice
The "ingame difficulty" has no general affects on combats
I'm not privy to Wiz8's inner workings, but it seems to globally modify stuff like effective resistances and various success rolls.
the term "ingame difficulty" was a bad choice, sorry, it is not related to the 3 "Difficulty Level" options Novice/Normal/Expert you can select under game options.

I use an NPC which asks the player at start whether he wants additional variation and create a fact(=global variable) according to reply.
The facts value is used to enable/block several encounters and activate/deactivate monster generators.
A 2nd fact influences riddles and quests,
not to forget that you may even draw a card from the deck of fortune(to set the 3rd fact), with unpredictable effcts.

Because the hardcoded and the scripted "difficulties" add/substract together, the overall variation increases.
The feedback from different players appeared to make it necessary.

>>Bloodust<< "I dig the idea"
Well the basic concept cant be worked out in Wiz8 engine, a stormbringer like sword that demands blod every time it is drawn(and sometimes even if not;)
e.g. forces save vs mental from the wielder when all opponents have been slain, if failed it will force the wielder to attack party members,
who should be able to fight him, unfortunately impossible in Wiz8.

>>remove the cane from the game<< "What is it with you people and wanting to nerf all the cool stuff out of the game?
Seriously, what's fucking wrong with you?"

It could be only that i know the game/its mechanics too good,
e.g. i have no issues to solo through dodds without using any of the items he added.
But if am as objective as i hope, and think its required for a modder,
i see the cane as the probably most outbalancing item in the game.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
You are right! And this should be adressed in the "base" version, I guess.
As well as adding a normal attack mode to Bloodlust, making it Berserk about every 2nd attack. That sounds like the best way to bring it in line without nerfing too much.

Cane of Corpus never really bothered me, probably because I had a faerie ninja only once or twice in my party. I tend to prefer less fragile races. I also cannot forgive faeries for their inability to actually fly in Wiz7, which made my wizard drown as I neglected his swimming skill. I took for granted he wouldn't need it!

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Working on underground dwarven town. I know I promissed a dungeon, but there will be two dungeons associated with this place - mines and a derelict dwarven spaceship.

Rough architecture and cave mesh:

Now started detailing and texturing the beast:
de52c6fca1d1f733cd70dea754fcdd2c3496828e3c6dc5339736d7ed239561dd6g.jpg

Dwarves do exist in Wizardry 8, and they will be just a small colony from a few centuries old crash landing. So Dominus remains a planet of the Higardi, Trynnie and Rapax.
They will be very high-tech. At least on the level of Umpani and T'Rang, but retaining an old architectonic style for the most part. That may also be due to shortage of suitable materials for more advanced buildings.

Textures again by David Gurrea, and most in this area will be.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Cane of Corpus never really bothered me, probably because I had a faerie ninja only once or twice in my party. I tend to prefer less fragile races. I also cannot forgive faeries for their inability to actually fly in Wiz7, which made my wizard drown as I neglected his swimming skill. I took for granted he wouldn't need it!

It's so good that there's never a reason to not make your ninja not a faerie, which is why I think it's imbalancing.

CoC adds a lot of flavour and continuity from W6/7, which is why I wouldn't remove it. Simply make it harder to obtain and add other cool (non-faerie?) ninja weapons.

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
I would suggest the same solution for Bloodlust perhaps. Make it harder to obtain. Put it in Ferro's cabinet since he is the one who forged it.

In Antone's vault could be other mid-range weapons and armor. Or even better, make Antone's keycard harder to obtain. Example: Antone dropped his keycard while running from a high level hogar and the hogar eats it so you can only get the card when you are able to kill the hogar.

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
I don't know if this issue has to do with the mod or not but Ferro only replenishes the same four or five spell books. Any idea what's causing this?

Another problem I'm having is when I walk down the ramp into the crypt the game crashes. It gives me an error code if you want to see it.

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
Here it is:

ERROR: You are viewing a message intended for the developers of Wizardry 8. Please report the following information to technical support. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Debug assertion in module C:\Projects\Wizardry 8\Local Code\VideoObjectManager.cpp line 104 failed:

Expression [ fReturnCode ] evaluates to false.

LoadVideoObject: ERROR - Add Data\Level Load\crypt.sti failed, type 1

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom