Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry 8 great game ruined by level scaling and respawning

Eh, watching someone fumble around with a game they don't know anything about isn't that fun, unless it's clearly for lulz and they don't intend to get anywhere with it. For blind LPs screenshots are better, so the LPer can cut off the fat.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Thinking about replaying all the way to Arnika with a starter save of my current chars I decided to load up an old (at least 15 years old) save from Wiz 7 which had not only finished the game but managed to slay all the gorrors (including the infamous Beast of a 1000 eyes) so they had some pretty good equipment. Seing them as 1st level characters was amusing but even keeping them at level 1 they whipped the floor with everything up to Arnika in less than 2 hours. Since most of their skills where 20 their attacks almost always hit, their mana poll allowed them to spam energy blasts at will and they kept such nice weapons as the naginata, sai (5% kill), zwaihander and stun rod (50% paralysis chance per hit!) And the bard had his whole asortment of magic instruments such as the kornu of the demonspawn, angek tongue and pipes of pain
Oh man! Kickassery cometh!
I feel that spawns and whatever are really offset by the skills, to the point where the spawns where simply overpowered by the superior gear, it really remninded me how intimidating the Wizardry games can be for new players who might not even know how to properly develop their characters
I played a few minutes with my level 7 party and they even felt underpowered in comparisson

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Whats the point of leveling up if the enemies always stay just as powerful as you, you dont feel any progression due to it.
They don't.
They should have looked at might and magic 6 to see it done right, yes enemies do respawn but only after ALOT of time and no fucking level scaling.
It's almost like fighting respawning mob was the characteristic feature of tb blob crpgs.

DraQ

Arcane
Eh, watching someone fumble around with a game they don't know anything about isn't that fun, unless it's clearly for lulz and they don't intend to get anywhere with it. For blind LPs screenshots are better, so the LPer can cut off the fat.
The thing is the fat is what is interesting. You aren't interested in the game itself, but in the playthrough, and the freshest playthrough is the first.

Snufkin

Augur
Key to not struggle is picking awesome party that grinds fast from start to finish, and that is strong both ranged and meele. 3 mook fighters, hobbit ranger, hobbit bard and hobbit gadgeeter is my favorite. You get all important spells with gadgets and instruments, and your mook fighters rape everything with long range giant swords when they find them, and before they use bows and upgraded crossbows made by gadgeeter.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I might totally want to ragefuck DraQ but this is still the best modern RPG I know.
Heh, modern.

Who can make the muddy water clear? Let the water be still and it will become clear on its own.

Why has no party-based RPG ever copied the "personality" setting?
Why were there no (proper, notable) party-based RPGs after Wiz 8?

Fuck everything, I miss this game.

My party was from Wiz6->7. It sucked ass. I had to struggle mightily to get past Rapax Castle and Ascension peak. This was some solid RPGing. One of a kind. Tear of an eagle.

uaciaut

Augur
Yes the level scaling in fallout 3 and oblivion is even better, the almost insta enemy re spawning combined with the level scaling just ruins the game for me.

Not it isn't, in Wiz8 the level of the respawns is based on the area (i.e. you outlevel arnika at something like level 14?), in F3 you wake up with deathclaws in some small town and the npc's just get instantly butchered.

Why has no party-based RPG ever copied the "personality" setting?

Hope P:E does that with their party creation option.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I like Wiz 8 just fine but Wiz 7 is the my favorite RPG of all time. I actually feel very luck for having played it so young so I had more than ample time to devote myself to it, I must have spend easily 300 hours over 3 months of almost daily play checking out every cranny and hidden spot, savescuming the heck out of chests, carefuly charting the progression of the stats and skills of my chars, keeping a whole lot of notes and staying up late at my father's spooky as hell library...
Those where the days

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I wouldn't blame Bioware it is just that party based systems for FP was not a very atractive proposition for modern gamers with its stats and turn based combat

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
..that fall had more to do with the 3D immersive world building craze IMO.

Dorateen

Arcane
Why were there no (proper, notable) party-based RPGs after Wiz 8?

bioware. And that quagmire of filth known as their fanbase
That's more of an answer to personality settings.

The Wizardry 8 personality settings are more of an answer to the modern day biodrone who squeals on about "Make your own party? They have no personality! I need a developer to make joinable companions to engage my only PC, or else I can't identify!"

Fact is, old school party-based exploration and dungeon crawlers, of which Wizardry 8 is among the last released during that era, remain an antithesis to everything the BSN believes in. What bioware did was tap into a market that never played RPGs before and suddenly there was no interest in designing games in the style of the classics. Those people wanted their consolized Jade Empire, Knights of the Old Republic, Dragon Ages and Mass Effects. I'll place the blame of decreasing quality RPGs entirely at their doorstep.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
The Wizardry 8 personality settings are more of an answer to the modern day biodrone who squeals on about "Make your own party? They have no personality! I need a developer to make joinable companions to engage my only PC, or else I can't identify!"
If so, they are the perfect answer.

As much as I enjoy the actual gameplay of Wiz8, I'm not sure I could keep it up without party members constantly commenting on stuff happening.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I wouldn't say it bioware's direct fault; they designed a game based on the narrative structure of party memebers having their own motivations and reasons for hanging arround with the PC but it wasn't a direct slight on the past party mechanics at all but a design choice. That their design proved so comercialy succesful that they continued to redo it time and time again and that all other developers followed suit is another matter

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
I can understand people miss uniqueness in a game. But to glorify Wiz8 because of the character quotes is quite inane. The lowest common denominator of later games does not excuse the hilarity - often more annoying than funny - of Wiz8. Sweet flavored crap is still crap, even if it's heads and shoulders above a smelly turd.

Xenich

Cipher
wiz 7 is a LOT better than wiz 8.

If you have virtually unlimited time, sure. Otherwise, Wiz 8 is at least beatable while maintaining a full time job.

Well, if "finishing" the game in a timely manner was the point of playing a game, I could understand. Thing is, playing the game is the point and that being the case begs the question as to why time has anything to do with it?

Now I can understand the "I lack the time" argument when it happens to deal with games that require a certain level of time commitment in one setting (though this is only a problem for MMO's and tardsole games with check point systems), but past that I would think one would like games to be as long as they possibly can. Heck, if it took me a few years to finish a game because I could only spend 30 mins to an hour in one setting, well... I would be ecstatic. It sure beats the irritation of the games that when you do get a bit of time to play are finished within a couple sessions leaving you sitting there feeling like a sucker who threw away money at what used to be considered a demo product.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think the combat is great. No, I don't want to sit down and do 100 hours of it in a row, but why do I have to? I play it for maybe a couple hours at a time. If I get sick of it, I stop. Then a week or two later I find myself going back to play some more. Respawned fights are okay, because the fighting is fun. If you don't like the combat, why play the game at all? For the brilliant story? Would it be better if the game was finishable in 10 hours instead of 100? Maybe ... but maybe it would also be a lot more forgettable. I'm not saying the respawn time or whatever is perfectly balanced for every player, but damn it is a good game. Not liking it because it has too much of the main gameplay element seems weird to me.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I found the respawns (random encounters**) much more common on wizardry 7 than wiz 8. At least you could try to avoid them on wizardry 8.

But if you want to argue over which is more moddable to be fun instead of comparing vanilla versions, then I think that's an entirely different discussion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom