Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry 8 mods

• Thread starter Deleted member 7219
  • Start date

Deleted member 7219

I'm expecting my sealed copy of Wizardry 8 purchased on Ebay to arrive sometime in the next few days. I hear there's some pretty good mods out there, at least from the wikipedia entry here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizardry_8 but didnt find a link to an active modding site. Do any of the W8 players here know of good mods to get, and where to get them?

Deleted member 7219

Hmm thanks doesnt seem like there's any stand-out excellent mods there, I'll just play it vanilla with the patch.

Relayer71

Liturgist
Just make sure to get the program that speeds up combat movement.

With the combat in the game often consisting of your party vs. a LARGE enemy group and sometimes even larger groups of friendlies, all of it turnbased, you will need it.

Deleted member 7219

Oh fuck the combat is party based and turn based?

Shit...

FrancoTAU

Cipher
It's actually phase based. You pick actions for your whole party, click start, and actions go in order of speed/spellcasting ability amongst your posse, friendlies and enemies. Combat pauses again, rinse and repeat. It's a great combat system IMO, but it is very slow at times. Definately install the speed up mod.

I can't recall any mods that added any content or changed any features. I'd love to hear about any if there is.

DraQ

Arcane
Matt7895 said:
Oh fuck the combat is party based and turn based?

Shit...
It's cool though, or would be if it wasn't so frequent - you have to cut your way through three or four mobs when going to the outhouse on Dominus, it seems, which is followed by an epic half an hour battle against the Keeper of The Paper and his minions.

Deleted member 7219

Well as long as it isn't like the party combat in the BG/IWD games, I'm happy.

Deleted member 7219

Ah, unfortunately the site that hosted the Combat Accelerator is now defunct. If someone can email me the file instead, I'd be grateful. I'll give you my address via PM.

bezimek

Scholar
Matt7895 said:
Ah, unfortunately the site that hosted the Combat Accelerator is now defunct. If someone can email me the file instead, I'd be grateful. I'll give you my address via PM.

http://wizardry.tk/

Click on left side on the page "Download" and "WIZ 8 FAST (7KB)"

Deleted member 7219

Thanks Nael and bezimek, but both links are dead. There's no longer a file at either location.

Nael

Arcane
Matt7895 said:
Thanks Nael and bezimek, but both links are dead. There's no longer a file at either location.

Weird. The link I provided still works for me. Just checked it to make sure. You in Russia or somethin?

Deleted member 7219

Nael said:
Matt7895 said:

Weird. The link I provided still works for me. Just checked it to make sure. You in Russia or somethin?

Nope, UK, but I am using Firefox, could that be the reason?

Deleted member 7219

Whoops! Never mind. The file was so tiny it downloaded instantaneously - I never saw a download window so I assumed the download never started in the first place. Thanks for your help anyway :)

Nael

Arcane
Matt7895 said:
Nael said:
Matt7895 said:

Nope, UK, but I am using Firefox, could that be the reason?

Nah, I'm using FF as well. Try typing the link in manually maybe?

bezimek

Scholar
Matt7895 said:
Whoops! Never mind. The file was so tiny it downloaded instantaneously - I never saw a download window so I assumed the download never started in the first place. Thanks for your help anyway :)

You welcome :)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Please don't use any mods on your first playthrough. Wizardry 8 is really, really good enough on its own.

Also, it doesn't have the retarded turn-based combat of many RPGs, but instead, glorious phase-based fighting, which I enjoy much more because it gives me the fuzzies. And yes, use that speed-up mod. I didn't, but we can't all have hours to waste on fighting a mob of 30 tiny enemies with super AC and many hitpoints with a party that can't damage things worth jack.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Oh, and don't level up past 4 until you get to Arnika. You will seriously get fucked up since the monsters level up with you and that will suck for your crew who have shit equipment.

Nael

Arcane
Jasede said:
And yes, use that speed-up mod. I didn't, but we can't all have hours to waste on fighting a mob of 30 tiny enemies with super AC and many hitpoints with a party that can't damage things worth jack.

The Trynton area is the worst for this. Just thinking about that section of the game makes me shudder. A Divine caster with Missile Shield is a must by the time you reach Trynton. If you've leveled enough you can learn it on your own or you can by it from a Rapax at the Lower Bluff I believe. Cure Poison is another very helpful spell for Trynton IIRC.

My final word of advice for combat in Wiz8 is that corners and doorways are your friends. Hug them like a girlfriend with whiskey tits. If you back yourself into a corner or stand just behind a doorway, gangs of mobs can't swarm or surround you, and any ranged monsters behind the frontline run a good chance of hitting their buddies on accident. If you get caught out in the open however, don't panic. Have a caster or aan alchemist with a fear or blind spells throw it at the mobs, watch em scatter, and find a safer place to fight.

Thus concludes Wizardry 8 Combat 101. :)

Deleted member 7219

Thankyou for the advice everyone. I'm excited about getting this game now. I've read somewhere that its mostly dungeon crawling. I really, really hope not, I hate dungeon crawlers. I hope there's a good amount of questing/exploration in there too.

DraQ

Arcane
FrancoTAU said:
Oh, and don't level up past 4 until you get to Arnika. You will seriously get fucked up since the monsters level up with you and that will suck for your crew who have shit equipment.
Meh. It's not that bad, though you might need to use some tricks to make it to Arnika before the sheer number of mobs forces you to retreat to replenish your party's health and spellpoints.

Norfleet

Jasede said:
Please don't use any mods on your first playthrough. Wizardry 8 is really, really good enough on its own.

Jasede said:
And yes, use that speed-up mod.
You seem to be rather divided on whether or not to use mods. :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom