Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry IV Gaiden SNES Translation to English - CURRENT VERSION 1.02

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Shackleton

currently running a crew of:

- samurai (faelpurr) using katana + shield
- ranger (dracon) dual-wielding a hand-axe and a club
- priest (dwarf) using a flail (from what i gather it seems to be 2-handed, haven't bothered checking emonoya's website) + shield

in the back row:

- monk (rawulf) using M-range Spear (was disappointed Monks apparently don't learn Psionics spells in Gaiden 4; they do in Empire series and in western Wizardry titles 6-8)
- bishop (elf) using an M-range bullwhip (definitely 2-handed)
- mage (rawulf) completely nekkid

i really like the game but man is it a fucking pain to transfer items in order to identify them w/ your Bishop and my god, i have never missed so much the ability to cycle through characters... this is a major nitpick since DOS/Apple II wizardry titles allowed using numerical keys as hotkeys for partymemebers 1-6.

and argh, jesus fucking having to rest everyone 1 by 1...

anyway i found a cool thing: in the first floor of the 1st dungeon in the "Storage Area" there is a hall with 2 rooms, and in 1 room there is a switch you need to press in order to progress and right next to that switch/room is another mini-room with a wicker box you can "Search" and open and then a black cloud of bats/whatever attacks you and they give 1400+ E.P. when defeated.

if you stay rooted in the wicker box the first time you "Search" it and defeat the black cloud of bats you can continue using "Search" and and continue defeating the bats over and over racking up 1400 E.P. every time. as soon as you leave that tile though the wicker box goes dead (no more bats).

i mention this because it is almost certain that this same "trick" will work with any other Encounters that are triggered in a similar manner.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Thanks so much for this translation. I' m fucking addicted to wizardry titles lately, and I have played a bit of this between a playthrough of wiz1-3 trilogy.

I have mapped an completed the first level of the first dungeon. This is a great game so far. I liked the dungeon design of the first floor,less random and mace-like, and with more resemblance of an actual fortress (hallways,barracks,storage room,certain symmetry on the level),always within the budget and technology restrictions.

Maybe I'm a bit casual,but I prefer logical dungeons. I find them more immersive. I don't like identical rooms,doors,and random teleporters all the way,one tile rooms with 4 doors,hallways full of doors,etc. A bit of misdirection is fine,but I think it's overdone in early wizardries. A nice subtle touch in this game is when you enter a room in a hallway,the subrooms have different door sprites,this way you are not so randomly disoriented,make the dungeon more varied and immersive.

You need the map spell to completely see the level , but you can see a 4 tile radius minimal pressing one key. I think this is a good compromise,because my favourite aspect of this games is party building, combat and exploration, no getting lost every corner.

I also liked the expanded races and classes belonging to wiz6-8, but with the early wizardry gameplay loop. Its an unique title in this respect I think. And the setting is unique in dungeon crawlers, and very appealing to me.

I also agree with aweigh that the only problem is the lack of quality of life changes that SNES wiz1-3 introduced. For example I'm very annoyed that there is no notification when you get enough exp to level up, and the number of exp to next level.

Last edited:

demilich

Novice
Hi, guys

Maybe someone can help me with walkthrough a little.

1. Stuck in Tower of Witchcraft. Got to the altar on 3F but when I try to get a mantle, it is being teleported to altar on 3B, and vise versa

2. In Tower of Spirits found an altar on 3B. But when I get the book that rests on it, party teleports to some secluded space ending with solid wall in two speps, and if trying to move sideways, I got kicked out to the altar again, and the book returns to it

3. Haven't understood what levers on 3F in Tower of Spirits are for. http://prntscr.com/ca8633 Do I need to get some specific combination to open the rest of the 3F floor somehow?

demilich

Novice
Successfully solved all aforementioned points.

Alas, 2 game endings are not tranlated yet. MrRichard999, could we hope for the translation of them in the future?

Hengki Kusuma Adi

I was helping DDS by sending my ending save files and reporting all bugs came into my place in Twitter, by the way here's my video ending for the player who beat this game or missed the translated ending (SPOILER).

demilich

Novice
Just finished this game, beat the Ancient Cave... kind of. But a few questions remains

1. After Ancient Cave people in town talk about gate to the western lands. I've read before somewhere that in is possible to get to Llylgamyn somehow. So the question is - where is this gate, if it is exisis?

2. Maybe i'm mistaken, but I've also heard that Wizardry Gaiden 4 is the prequel to Gaiden 3. But there is no references at all here. Is that statement wrong?

demilich

Novice
Thanks. Just finished Llylgamyn, ready to enter Dragon Cave.

But I'm totally confused with Llylgamyn ending now. Could someone explain it? Is it a prequel to Gaiden 3 or do we get a time loop?

As I understood - maybe wrong - Dalia was possessed by the soul of sage that kidnapped a king in Ancient Cave and tried to ressurect demon. After that Agan goes to Dalia and takes three sacred artefact we collected during main plot Gaiden 4. Why are artifacts there in the first place?.. Then, as I understood, he tried to use artifacts to ressurect Dalia, but turned into demon instead... and 300 years later Gaiden 3 will begin. Such a mess in my head now, sorry.

Haven't understood who was the warrior from heaven in the intro whose artifact where given to people of three towers, or who the sage was and why he possessed Dalia(

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
remember that gaiden means "different history", literally, so it really could take place in a completely different universe than wiz 1-5 and wiz empire.

Hengki Kusuma Adi

Hmm. I can smell it.

Sent from my S3 Lite using Tapatalk

Hengki Kusuma Adi

OKAY. FINAL VERSION (1.0) IS OUT!

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
OK! Game has a major patch update release to version 1.0! Lots of major fixes have been done and all the endings are all done now. Be sure to apply the patch to a clean original Japanese ROM. Patch can be found on the first post of the thread!

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Cool. Thank you for translating this great game.

When I finish some backlog I'm gonna make a playthrough.

Hengki Kusuma Adi

When the final version released, SOMEBODY WALKTHROUGH/LP/REVIEW THIS GAME!

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Cool. Thank you for translating this great game.

When I finish some backlog I'm gonna make a playthrough.

I'm not trying to brag or anything but this is a great game. It just keeps giving and giving just when you think its over and does an excellent job overall. This should have been a release in the US originally. I hope everyone enjoys this one.

Hengki Kusuma Adi

Just i uploaded new updated 2nd Ending, here (SPOILER):

Tarrant

Educated
Hey MrRichard,

Just wanted to thank you for the translation. :) I'm a total Wizardry fanatic, and being able to play a version that never had a US release is literally a dream come true.

Also, Wizardry 5 is my favorite in the series, so playing Gaiden IV that uses the same engine rocks. ;x Hope you and the rest of the translation team keep doing amazing things.

T

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Thanks! We also have done the gaiden & empire series on the game boy along with Empires II & Chronicle for PC as well. You can find patches if you click on the "Current & Finish" projects link under here.

Deleted Member 16721

Hey all. Just wanted to login and say thanks for the translation! Hoping to see more from you guys.

Quick question, do you have a section with all your completed RPG translations? I tried the site search on romhacking but I don't see your Wizardry translations in there for some reason. Any ideas?

Edit - Nevermind, I found them. I was searching ROM hacks and not translations. Lots of translated RPGs there, enough to keep anyone busy for a long time!

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom