Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry IV: Throb of the Demon's Heart

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
So recently I discovered this Japanese Wizardry game for the SNES called Wizardry IV: Throb of the Demon's Heart. It's pretty notable and interesting for a couple reasons; first, it's a traditional Wizardry game in the vein of 1-3. You don't play as Werdna or summon monsters or anything like the American Wizardry 4. It's also set in medieval Japan, although I guess that's not as out there as low-tech psychic outer space rhinoceros world. The most interesting thing about it, though, is that it has the character races and classes of Wizardries 6-8 but the character statistics and game mechanics of 1-3. Let's look at character creation.

Ce4ih.png

This is the character creation screen. It's not too out of the ordinary and I guess it takes place in a dojo or something. By the way, I use the name Coolguy in all my games.

ywXUs.png

This is where it gets pretty wild. These are all the Wizardry 6 races. From top to bottom, it goes Human, Elf, Dwarf, Gnome, Hobbit, Fairy, Lizardman, Dracon, Rawulf, Mook and Felpurr.

UL0ia.png

It asks you to select your gender. Males get a bonus to strength and females get a bonus to vitality. Gender wasn't in the original Wizardries.

JCwoF.png

These are the alignments and this is something that definitely wasn't in Wizardries 6-8. It goes good, neutral and evil. I haven't messed around too much with alignments yet, but I think certain classes are only available to certain alignments, which wasn't the case in 6. For instance, a lot of my guys meet the requirement to be thieves but they can't choose it because they're good.

IW3X0.png

Coolguy got a roll of 19 and these are a list of classes she can choose from. It shows the list of classes you qualify for before you put points into anything, which is how it works in 6. The classes from top to bottom are fighter, mage, priest, samurai, bard, alchemist, bishop and monk.

JLnug.png

These are the stats. It goes strength, intelligence, piety, vitality, speed and luck. These are the same stats that Wizardries 1-3 use, not 6-8.

CFpXk.png

This is the craziest part. It uses the spells from Wizardries 6-8 but the spell system from 1-3.

I haven't really messed around too much more with this yet, but it's a strict dungeon crawler like Wizardries 1-3. The character and spell systems are really cool though and it's a total hybrid of the first and second trilogies of Wizardry. Does anyone know more about this game? How does the spell system work? How do character classes like monks and ninjas, which rely on skills rather than equipment, work in this? The game seems like it could be really cool but I want to know more about it if anyone knows anything.

I never even knew this existed. Pretty nifty. I'm assuming there is no translation patch for this, nor one in the pipeline, based on how obscure this is. The GameFAQs forum has a couple posts from two years ago talking about one, but I'm assuming it went nowhere. Sad. Game looks pretty cool.

MMXI

Arcane
Who gives a fuck about the language? LP this bitch! Now!

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Yeah, I can barely find any information at all about it. I found a single page that wasn't a metasite that talked about the game. It was some Japanese guy who said that everyone else in Japan hated this game because it ruined the Wizardry formula, so I can only imagine what they thought of 6-8. It also turns out this was actually the fourth in a series of Wizardry spinoffs that used this system. There were five in total and I think the last was either on the PS2 or PSX.

I did some more messing around with the game and it turns out that each race has different maximum stats, making some more suited for certain roles than others. If I recall, this wasn't the case in either Wizardries 1-3 or 6-8 and is totally unique to this series. It's pretty cool because it gives race a lot more meaning than it had in the other games. Also, I was wrong about the spells. It uses the Wizardry 1-3 spell system, but it also uses the Wizardry 1-3 spells too. Priests and mages have the same nonsense word spells they had in the first trilogy like halito, katino and so on, but alchemists and psionics get a totally new set of spells. They're based on the spells from Wizardry 6, but not complete analogs. Alchemists specialize in doing damage over several turns and I haven't figured out what psionics are supposed to be good at yet.

I'm going to post some more pictures to get more people interested. This game seems really cool and potentially even better than the original Wizardry trilogy.

hS6Tb.png

This is the item shop. The item system is super complex and these are all just categories of weapons I can buy from. From the top, it goes swords, wand and dagger (one category), axe, mace and flail, pole and staff and bow and arrow. Each one has multiple items for sale and also displays the weapon's range, which I guess implies that you can attack from the back row.

Sh6NO.png

The dungeon is similarly Japanese-themed. I think there might be more than one dungeon.

GbehK.png

This is what the battles look like. The guys in my back row had long range weapons so they were able to attack. As far as I know, there were no long range weapons in the original Wizardry trilogy.

So yeah, this game looks super cool and I think I might play it some more. If anyone knows anything else about it or the rest of this Wizardry spinoff series, let me know. Maybe we could get something going and try to translate this or make a guide for people who want to play it or something.

MMXI

Arcane
Can anyone here read Japanese? If someone can translate the basic interface text then you should be able to play most of the game comfortably. Only stuff like text clues will need to be translated after that.

Then you can LP this.

I know, I know, Captain Obvious and all that, but someone has to say it: nobody thought to tell the poor bastards that if they're doing a crpg set in Japan, and having the English translation of the first four words in the title read 'Throb of the demon's...', that 'heart' isn't the intuitive word to end with? Either replace the last word, or change the first three.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I know, I know, Captain Obvious and all that, but someone has to say it: nobody thought to tell the poor bastards that if they're doing a crpg set in Japan, and having the English translation of the first four words in the title read 'Throb of the demon's...', that 'heart' isn't the intuitive word to end with? Either replace the last word, or change the first three.
Just cause you associate every second word with cocks doesn't mean the rest of us do.

MMXI

Arcane
Then you can LP this.

You mean after I have LPed all the main series titles? Yeah, that sure is going to happen. :p
I meant cboyardee. You've got enough on your plate already.

Thrust of the Demon's Heart. Squirt of the Demon's Heart.

According to wikipedia there is a whole separate series of Wizardry gaiden games:

Wizardry Gaiden 1: Suffering of the Queen (Game Boy, 1991)
  • Wizardry Gaiden 2: Curse of the Ancient Emperor (Game Boy, 1992)
  • Wizardry Gaiden 3: Scripture of the Dark (Game Boy, 1993)
  • Wizardry Gaiden 4: Throb of the Demon's Heart (SNES, 1996)
cboyardee, can you provide a link to download this? For the reasons azrael describes, I'm not exactly getting the results I want through web searches.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
According to wikipedia there is a whole separate series of Wizardry gaiden games:

Wizardry Gaiden 1: Suffering of the Queen (Game Boy, 1991)
  • Wizardry Gaiden 2: Curse of the Ancient Emperor (Game Boy, 1992)
  • Wizardry Gaiden 3: Scripture of the Dark (Game Boy, 1993)
  • Wizardry Gaiden 4: Throb of the Demon's Heart (SNES, 1996)
cboyardee, can you provide a link to download this? For the reasons azrael describes, I'm not exactly getting the results I want through web searches.

Oh c'mon the roms are very easy to find

Wiz Gaiden I: http://www.coolrom.com/roms/gbc/4744/Wizardry_Gaiden_1_-_Suffering_of_the_Queen.php
Wiz Gaiden II: http://www.coolrom.com/roms/gbc/4974/Wizardry_Gaiden_2_-_Curse_of_the_Ancient_Emperor.php
Wiz Gaiden III: http://www.coolrom.com/roms/gbc/4861/Wizardry_Gaiden_3_-_Scripture_of_the_Dark.php
Wiz Gaiden IV: http://www.coolrom.com/roms/snes/3114/Wizardry_Gaiden_IV_-_Throb_of_the_Demon's_Heart.php

Understanding Japanese is a different matter, though. :P

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
There's also Dimguil, which is the final game in the series: http://snesorama.us/board/showthread.php?t=55277

I can't really read Japanese. I took a course a couple semesters ago just for fun, but I didn't get that much out of it. Most of the stuff I translated earlier was really simple. I was thinking of making a guide or menu translation or something so people who can't read any of this could play it. Do people actually use those?

Ermm

Erudite
Wizardry: Llyglamyn Saga, which is a japanese wizardry for PSX, has an english option avaible (weird but cool). I think I download it on the same room site, and it had an instruction how to enable eng. language.

Actually I don't really know if Llyglamyn Saga is some kind of remake of previous Wizardry games, or a whole new game.

EDIT: It is a remake of Wizardry 1-3

Just cause you associate every second word with cocks doesn't mean the rest of us do.

What? :eek: I was thinking of thumbs. You know, how your pulse runs through your thumb, and sometimes if it is restricted it can throb! What were YOU thinking of to come up with that assumption? Dirty boy. Dirty dirty boy.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Hello, wondering if anybody has any information on this game that would help me in translating it. I got an ok amount done so far, probably about 30%. The smaller text for the most part should be easy to complete but if someone where to know what some of the text means please let me know so we can work together to put out a proper English translation :) Hope to put out a beta patch soon that knocks out most of the small txt stuff.
Wizardry%20Gaiden%20IV%20-%20Engl000.png
Wizardry%20Gaiden%20IV%20-%20Engl001.png
Wizardry%20Gaiden%20IV%20-%20Engl002.png
Wizardry%20Gaiden%20IV%20-%20Engl003.png
Wizardry%20Gaiden%20IV%20-%20Engl004.png

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I'll have to look tem up . Its crazy that I think you can carry your character throughout the Wizardry gaiden series and into Wizardry Dimigul for PSX. Havent tested this yet due to lack of a name and code which is needed but will try it when I start a new game in Dimigul. Would like to do the whole series if this one goes well.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Wizardry%20Gaiden%20IV%20%20Engl011.png
: City's outskirts
Wizardry%20Gaiden%20IV%20%20Engl010.png
: Training center
Wizardry%20Gaiden%20IV%20-%20Engl000.png
: Benten's Bar (Benten as in the goddess of arts and wisdom)
Wizardry%20Gaiden%20IV%20-%20Engl001.png
: Wealth God's shop

Dunno how you're going to write all that there though :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom