Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry IV: Throb of the Demon's Heart

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I could take a look at it if you need a hand. Never messed around with PC-88 before though :P You use Windhex for your hex editing? Also do you have a font table file?

Cool name

Arcane
Ooh, awesome!

Helly Agassi could you maybe help MrRichard999 translate the text? ;)

I'm kind of rusty on my japanese but I can give it a try once I am done moving and finding a life over there.

In exchange for huggies and plushies, of course.

Only on the text, though. Coding and hacking are alien to me.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
With all these brofists flying I figure why not post a few more screenshots to show more progress :) Still need to finish off all the class and race descriptions, the rest of the spells, half of the battle dialogue, and some more short text strings. Its looking promising so far The large font dialogue will be a whole other animal to work on after all the small font stuff is done. Also just spoke to a fellow Wizardry fan and he tells me that somebody is close to completion on the Wizardry Gaiden games (I,II,III) for the game boy :D Hopefully he will post here after sending him an email to share his progress. Well here are some more photos for you guys :D
izardry Gaiden IV - Engl006.png
izardry Gaiden IV - Engl005.png
izardry Gaiden IV - Engl004.png
izardry Gaiden IV - Engl003.png
izardry Gaiden IV - Engl002.png
izardry Gaiden IV - Engl001.png
izardry Gaiden IV - Engl000.png

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Thank you for replying :) Any help is always most welcome and highly valued. I don't think I would ask about much of the code stuff for the most part. When the time comes to edit that large font though I will have to ask the professionals on how to work it though.

tangyi_chang

Novice
Awesome!
It's easy to make font table since Gaiden 1~4 shares the same one. Here is:

91=あ EE=ほ B1=ア CE=ホ 41=A 20=space 61=a
92=い EF=ま B2=イ CF=マ 42=B 21=! 62=b
93=う F0=み B3=ウ D0=ミ 43=C 23=# 63=c
94=え F1=む B4=エ D1=ム 44=D 24=$ 64=d
95=お F2=め B5=オ D2=メ 45=E 25=% 65=e
96=か F3=も B6=カ D3=モ 46=F 26=& 66=f
97=き F4=や B7=キ D4=ヤ 47=G 27=' 67=g
98=く F5=ゆ B8=ク D5=ユ 48=H 28=( 68=h
99=け F6=よ B9=ケ D6=ヨ 49=I 29=) 69=i
9A=こ F7=ら BA=コ D7=ラ 4A=J 2B=+ 6A=j
9B=さ F8=り BB=サ D8=リ 4B=K 2D=- 6B=k
9C=し F9=る BC=シ D9=ル 4C=L 2E=. 6C=l
9D=す FA=れ BD=ス DA=レ 4D=M 2F=/ 6D=m
9E=せ FB=ろ BE=セ DB=ロ 4E=N 30=0 6E=n
9F=そ FC=わ BF=ソ DC=ワ 4F=O 31=1 6F=o
E0=た FD=ん C0=タ DD=ン 50=P 32=2 70=p
E1=ち 86=を C1=チ DE=" 51=Q 33=3 71=q
E2=つ 87=ぁ C2=ツ DF=。 52=R 34=4 72=r
E3=て 88=ぃ C3=テ A6=ヲ 53=S 35=5 73=s
E4=と 89=ぅ C4=ト A7=ァ 54=T 36=6 74=t
E5=な 8A=ぇ C5=ナ A8=ィ 55=U 37=7 75=u
E6=に 8B=ぉ C6=ニ A9=ゥ 56=V 38=8 76=v
E7=ぬ 8C=ゃ C7=ヌ AA=ェ 57=W 39=9 77=w
E8=ね 8D=ゅ C8=ネ AB=ォ 58=X 3A=: 78=x
E9=の 8E=ょ C9=ノ AC=ャ 59=Y 3F=? 79=y
EA=は 8F=っ CA=ハ AD=ュ 5A=Z 7A=z
EB=ひ CB=ヒ AE=ョ
EC=ふ CC=フ AF=ッ
ED=へ CD=ヘ

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Oh yeah, tangyi_chang is working on Wizardry Gaiden I,II,III and is almost complete with all of them!! I'll post a picture of the work he has. We may get a full set of games released in English around the same time possibly!
WizGaiden SOQ.png
If all these get done we should all team up and finish off the last in the set, Wizardry Dimguil!

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Figures, the best Jap stuff remains unknown and inaccessible for for decades. I only played Wizardry 8, and frankly Wizardry Gaiden iv looks more promising to me.

Great Work MrRichard999

Here is a translation done by Aeon Genesis for an SNES version of the First three in the series. Its a trilogy edition all done in english. - http://www.romhacking.net/translations/496/
Here is one done for Wizardry 6 for the SNES - http://www.romhacking.net/translations/939/
And of course Wizardry V is already in English for the SNES :)
There are so many offset titles in this franchise by a ridiculous amount also so there may be more projects within this series that might get worked on after this one!
  • Wizardry Gaiden 1: Suffering of the Queen (Game Boy, 1991)
  • Wizardry Gaiden 2: Curse of the Ancient Emperor (Game Boy, 1992)
  • Wizardry Gaiden 3: Scripture of the Dark (Game Boy, 1993)
  • Wizardry Gaiden 4: Throb of the Demon's Heart (SNES, 1996)
  • Wizardry: Dimguil (PlayStation, 2000)
  • Wizardry Empire (PlayStation, Game Boy Color, 2000)
  • Wizardry Empire II: Fukkatsu no Tsue (PlayStation, Game Boy Color, 2002)
  • Wizardry Empire III (PlayStation 2, 2003)
  • Wizardry Chronicle (Microsoft Windows)
  • Wizardry Summoner (Game Boy Advance, 2001) published by Natsume
  • Busin: Wizardry Alternative (Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land in North America) (PlayStation 2, 2001)
  • Busin 0: Wizardry Alternative Neo (PlayStation 2)
  • Wizardry Traditional (Cell phone)
  • Wizardry Traditional 2 (Cell phone)
  • Wizardry Xth Academy of Frontier (PlayStation 2, 2005)
  • Wizardry Asterisk: Hiiro no Fūin (Nintendo DS, 2005)
  • Wizardry Gaiden: Prisoners of the Battles (PlayStation 2, 2005)
  • Wizardry Summoner (PlayStation 2, 2005)
  • Wizardry Xth2 UNLIMITED STUDENT (PlayStation 2, 2006)
  • Wizardry Empire III: Haō no Keifu (PSP, 2007)
  • Wizardry Torawareshi Tamashii no Meikyū (Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls) (PSN, 2009)
  • Wizardry Seimei no Kusabi (Wizardry: Wedge of Life) (DS, 2009)
  • Wizardry Bōkyaku no Isan (DS, 2010)
  • Wizardry: Torawareshi Bourei no Machi (PSN, 2011)
  • Wizardry: Prisoners of the Lost City (PSN, 2011)

Figures, the best Jap stuff remains unknown and inaccessible for for decades. I only played Wizardry 8, and frankly Wizardry Gaiden iv looks more promising to me.

Great Work MrRichard999

Here is a translation done by Aeon Genesis for an SNES version of the First three in the series. Its a trilogy edition all done in english. - http://www.romhacking.net/translations/496/
Here is one done for Wizardry 6 for the SNES - http://www.romhacking.net/translations/939/
And of course Wizardry V is already in English for the SNES :)
There are so many offset titles in this franchise by a ridiculous amount also so there may be more projects within this series that might get worked on after this one!
  • Wizardry Gaiden 1: Suffering of the Queen (Game Boy, 1991)
  • Wizardry Gaiden 2: Curse of the Ancient Emperor (Game Boy, 1992)
  • Wizardry Gaiden 3: Scripture of the Dark (Game Boy, 1993)
  • Wizardry Gaiden 4: Throb of the Demon's Heart (SNES, 1996)
  • Wizardry: Dimguil (PlayStation, 2000)
  • Wizardry Empire (PlayStation, Game Boy Color, 2000)
  • Wizardry Empire II: Fukkatsu no Tsue (PlayStation, Game Boy Color, 2002)
  • Wizardry Empire III (PlayStation 2, 2003)
  • Wizardry Chronicle (Microsoft Windows)
  • Wizardry Summoner (Game Boy Advance, 2001) published by Natsume
  • Busin: Wizardry Alternative (Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land in North America) (PlayStation 2, 2001)
  • Busin 0: Wizardry Alternative Neo (PlayStation 2)
  • Wizardry Traditional (Cell phone)
  • Wizardry Traditional 2 (Cell phone)
  • Wizardry Xth Academy of Frontier (PlayStation 2, 2005)
  • Wizardry Asterisk: Hiiro no Fūin (Nintendo DS, 2005)
  • Wizardry Gaiden: Prisoners of the Battles (PlayStation 2, 2005)
  • Wizardry Summoner (PlayStation 2, 2005)
  • Wizardry Xth2 UNLIMITED STUDENT (PlayStation 2, 2006)
  • Wizardry Empire III: Haō no Keifu (PSP, 2007)
  • Wizardry Torawareshi Tamashii no Meikyū (Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls) (PSN, 2009)
  • Wizardry Seimei no Kusabi (Wizardry: Wedge of Life) (DS, 2009)
  • Wizardry Bōkyaku no Isan (DS, 2010)
  • Wizardry: Torawareshi Bourei no Machi (PSN, 2011)
  • Wizardry: Prisoners of the Lost City (PSN, 2011)

:what:

Damn... the japs sure loved the Wizardry blobbers.

I am not much of a blobber fan, mostly play them on phone (emulated) during work/commuting because that means not raging for tactical positioning on small shitty touchscreen. Playing sruff like Disgaea is a massive exercise in masochism on a 4" touchscreen

The snes ones give me a lot of options when I finish strange journey and etrian odyssey 3.

:bro:

tangyi_chang

Novice
Japs also like to livecast their playthrough. Check out at youtube with keyword “ウィザードリィ外伝” (Wizardry Gaiden), you will find a channel owned by a wizardry addict who finished most of games (including those spinoffs released only in Japan) of the series.

There are many wiz-like newcomers on NDS, like Dark Spire, Etrian Odyssey and Elminage.

There are two sets of fonts in Gaiden 4. Bigger one (including some jap kanji) for event in dungeon, and smaller one for rest of the text.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Great news, all the magic & abilities are done now! Going to dump a script to finish the rest of the small character dialogue now. After all of this is complete I will release a beta patch for the public :) Then it will be onto the large font dialogue...

tangyi_chang

Novice
Well done!
I just translate the "Switch" options and then move to the first three gaiden games.
Any Japanese translation problem pls call me at any time. My friend SUZUNE is an expert at both Eng and Jap.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Just dumped a combined image of how the large font is laid out and it massive. Wondering if anybody with the know how would like to take a shot at making a font table for all this lettering. If someone were brave enough to do this it would help really speed this up immensely! I gotta wait till I finish what work I have here for school first and do the smaller text stuff before I attempt to try it. Let me know :D Also I believe that there is a black spot which is first in the font set which is not shown. The other image is for uf anyone needs to reference to any English lettering to find values.
Wizardry IV Gaiden - AllLargeFont.jpg
Wizardry Gaiden IV - Engl_00000.bmp

Last edited:

tangyi_chang

Novice
You don't have to dump the font images in I, II, III because they are definitely in ASCII code.
For IV, I'm still waiting for the reply from those hack experts.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Figured as much with the game boy roms that they would stick to the simpler font layouts. Tried doing relative searches for the words and also with spaces and wildcards such as a*n*c*t*u*a*r*y and I got nothing on it. Trying to get help and assistance on this but not getting far. Only getting documents to read about it :P Was hoping somebody could maybe take a look and let me know how its done but so far nothing... If you gather any useful help or information on this let me know. Going to try to mess around with it after I do my exams this week.

tangyi_chang

Novice
Hi, Richard. I've got both a good news and a bad one.
The good thing is I find the tool which calculate offset value of jap characters in SNES games. It's called Relativeful Search.
The opposite thing is those characters are not put in alphabetical order, that makes the rearcher invaild.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
If all these get done we should all team up and finish off the last in the set, Wizardry Dimguil!
Oh shit, Dimguil's the one I played a looooong time ago I think. Was pretty fun from what I remember, with fairly non-weeabooish art. I could potentially help on the language side of things (don't know shit about the technical stuff), though only if work gets less hectic than it is atm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom