Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls is now available on PC

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Acquire; Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls; Xseed Games

As every serious fan of classic RPGs knows, the Wizardry series may be dead in the West but it's had a long afterlife in Japan, with numerous spinoffs and spiritual successors released on a variety of platforms. One such game is Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls, originally released on PlayStation 3 in Japan back in 2009 and in the West two years afterwards. In recent years ports of classic console games have done quite well on Steam, and so today Labyrinth of Lost Souls became the first of the Japanese Wizardry games to become officially available on PC in the West (not counting oddball isometric spinoff WizRogue). Here's its launch trailer, which features the expected variety of anime waifus:

An old-school challenge in a crisp and colorful package, Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls revitalizes the time-honored formula of the original dungeon crawler series with modernized visuals and sound.

Choose each of your six team members’ class, race, gender, and moral alignment, then delve into one of several dungeons near the central town hub. Advance with caution — monsters are vicious, deadly, and attack in packs. Plan each expedition carefully, stay focused on your objectives, and know when to retreat to the surface.

In between expeditions, chat with the locals, pick up new quests, pray for guidance at the temple, go bargain-hunting for new/rare equipment, and more. With patience, skill, and careful planning, your party will rise from a gang of paupers to a mighty force.

The magic torches are lit, the monsters are ravenous, and the kingdom is waiting for a new hero. Enter the world of Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls and experience a classic adventure reborn.

Your Party, Your Way
Choose from eight classes and five races to build a six-person team with diverse but complimentary skill sets. Change their classes in mid-adventure to fit your needs, or focus on leveling up their primary class to earn bonus skills for the party’s benefit.

So Beautiful and So Dangerous
Tangle with a menagerie of over 100 distinctive monsters, from the traditional to the bizarre, all drawn by famed series illustrator Jun Suemi. The game also features character illustrations by renowned commercial artist Yuki Hayabusa.

Conquer the Dungeons
Every step through the underworld is fraught with danger, and one wrong move can end your adventure. But if you have the grit to withstand what the dungeons throw at you, both you and your party will gain enough experience to stroll through them like you own them.

Wizardry’s Rebirth on PC
The PC remaster of this classic originally released for PlayStation 3 features English and Japanese text with the original Japanese voiceovers, high-resolution graphics, and a brand new Turbo Mode to make exploring the game’s massive dungeons a breeze. All story DLC is included, and players can download the Growth Fruit DLC for free to give themselves a boost when creating characters.

This game was actually supposed to have been out on PC back in May, but ended up getting delayed nearly seven months because of an IP licensing issue. I guess that kind of tells you why more of these games haven't been ported already. So if you'd like to see more Japanese Wizardry games make it to PC, you should probably show your support. Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls is available on Steam and GOG now for just $15, with a 10% launch discount until next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Codex Year of the Donut
go back to making posts about your favorite mods for Oblivion, rusty. Bethesda sub-forum is that-a-way.
this is the fifth or sixth time you've accused me of this, I'm pretty sure you have me confused with someone else

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
lolrusty.png

covr

Prophet
Patron
Which Oblivion mods do you recommend, rusty? Have you tried the game on Nintendo Switch?

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
I heard this is an extremely basic and stripped down version of Wizardry. Is this true? If so, count me out.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Not sure how stripped down original wizardry could be unless you mean stat loss upon leveling up and possible character destruction from failed resurrection and character bodies stuck where party got TPKd.

Looking at the gog catalog you still dont see 1-5 or the remade versions. Not huge since dosbox works fine or i can rom emulate the others but its still curious.

Last edited:

Dehumanizer

Educated
I've had it on PS3 for a long time now (haven't finished it, though). Except for the anime stuff (mostly the party members, town NPCs, etc.), it's mostly old-school Wizardry (i.e. like Wiz 1-3 and 5 -- the Japanese were never much into 6-8, for some reason). Same stats, same classes, even the same stat requirements for the prestige classes. Steam reviews, from what I've seen, complain about the lack of a tutorial (having played the original Wizardries helps a lot, admittedly) and high difficulty. :)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Maybe in the future. Still has moonspeak voice acting in the intro. I ran the setup and exited. No time today.

Viata

Arcane
Ok so Cleve could get huge sales in Japan if he released Grimoire in Japanese
Doesn't Japan hate the Dark Savant trilogy?
I've heard that the Wizardry 1-3 formula is a lot more popular, yeah.
Does someone really knows the reason, though? I have seen many japanese let's play of the Dark Savant trilogy and they really liked it, so I really think the reason we don't got clone of those is because they are way harder to make it than the earlier ones.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
No one wants to translate or voice act.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom