Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls - now available on PC

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, it's very disheartening the amount of people I've seen who refused to play Elminage: Gothic because access to the auto-map is restricted to spells or consumables (although you get an infinite consumable map item in the 3rd dungeon).

It's no wonder why they gave you the option to toggle infinite-use maps in the 3DS port of the game.

A lot of people who say they like dungeon crawlers turn out to hate the stuff that makes them good; which, ironically, is perfectly in keeping with how most RPG fans feel about their hobby, to be honest.

EDIT: In retrospect, I suppose all things have a silver-lining: it was because of this that the "modding scene" of Elminage: Gothic even began, as the english-language Elminage wiki opened a Mods Section with an Infinite Map mod, and the guy who did it also went ahead and created an extraction tool for the game files. I learned a lot of useful stuff thanks to that tool and the guy's tutorial on hex-editing E: Gothic files / save files.

I say go ahead and use the Infinite Map mod if it's the only thing preventing you from enjoying such a fantastic game. In the long run it doesn't change much, since, like I said: you can get an optional infinite-use map item in the game's 3rd dungeon.

Doesn't the "infinite use" map break sometimes? Anyway, I have no idea why people don't understand why lack of mapping is a deal breaker. It's not like Elminage has breathtaking vistas that make backtracking a pleasure, the exploration is about as minimalistic as it gets. There's nothing fun about getting lost in some monotonous maze where everything looks the same.

Swigen

Arbiter
Ya’ll don’t want it on GOG anyway, the ps3 filesize is almost 500mb so it’d probably take 3 fucken hours to download.

Silentstorm

Learned
Pretty much why i just used the mod for infinite maps or have just looked at maps online, these days, i just appreciate having automaps, and i appreciate games that allow you to take notes on the maps even more, nothing better than finding a locked door or puzzle i can't solve yet, going to the map, and just writing what i think is needed so i don't forget and can just look at the quickest way to go back.

Honestly, at this point, i just think dungeon crawlers should just have an option for automapping or not so that everyone can be happy, Vaporum, for example, does that, right before you start, the games asks if you want automapping or not so that it isn't forced on anyone.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the exploration is about as minimalistic as it gets

Exploration in Elminage games is one of the highlights, with places full of puzzles, events, dangers, secret doors, special areas, missable secrets, etc.

I have no idea why you think such exploration-rich games are "minimalistic" about it; they're the exact opposite! Exploring a place in an Elminage game is 100 times more rewarding than in any other modern RPG, where "exploration" consists of going from point A to point B.

EDIT: Your comment about "vistas" makes me think that you are confusing exploration with graphics. That would explain why you're confused.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
EDIT: Your comment about "vistas" makes me think that you are confusing exploration with graphics. That would explain why you're confused.

I'm not confusing them, you're just taking my words out of the context I was discussing (although I shouldn't have used the word exploration since I can see how it muddies the issue). The existence of secrets or puzzles has nothing to do with the tedium of backtracking. It's a slog through the same-looking fucking walls for minutes at a time.

Then there's the maze-like design that ends up making it more linear than original, while contributing to the tedium. Gothic adds absolutely nothing to Original in terms of level design but does make aspects of it worse. It's like it was designed by Todd Howard.

Disliking tedium in no way detracts from my or anyone else's love of blobbers. I like them for the sense of adventure and tactical combat, not because I'm trying to relive my childhood with the exact same outdated interface they had on Commodore or NES.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Interesting take on dungeons. I disagree. I think dungeon design is stronger in Gothic, and that exploring "maze-like dungeons" is a huge part of the appeal. In fact, I find a fair few of the areas in these games to be quite pleasant to look at, or to be otherwise very appropriately atmospheric.

But hey, to each their own! At least you're willing to play and enjoy these games; lots of people reject them for very superficial reasons.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
I find the Elminages atmospheric in spite of the graphics. If I have to trudge through them the low quality world* art comes to the forefront and breaks the illusion.

*the sprites look great

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Such a hardship to go to the shop and buy the map for each floor. Took me all about 2 minutes to accomplish when I played. You buy one and you have an automap for that floor for the whole game.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Has GOG ever revoked the rejection of a game after a shitstorm? Any cases?

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
That is very interesting. That "Opus Magnum" game also had only 645 votes on their wishlist, so it's not a gigantic number of votes. "Wizardry:LoLS" is with 611 votes (currently) not far behind. Not sure, but maybe there are chances when the turmoil is big enough?

When quizzed about its U-turn [on the game Opus Magnum], GOG followed up by saying that despite its curation process, it does take what its community wants into consideration with every decision

The game's outstanding quality and community demand speak loudly and clearly—we're human, we're not infallible, but we're also not immovable. It's great that we get to listen, reevaluate, and bring Opus Magnum's to our catalog in the end

Though it still needs a good portion of "fabulously optimistic" to make that happen... :M

Ysaye

Arbiter
I understand that beauty is partly in the eye of the beholder where it comes to aesthetics but I find it hard to find consistency within the aesthetic objective function of GOG when I go to the RPG page and see that they have Swag and Sorcery which is billed as a "Pay to not wait game without the pay to not wait". Ultimately this can only serve to erode their "brand" (which I understood as being to cultivate "Old" games).

Silentstorm

Learned
So, what has this thread done?

Make me wait for the game to be on Steam to buy it and find out about Opus Magnum, a game that looks interesting in case i get in the mood to solve puzzles, two games that GOG failed to put on the store, though at least Opus Magnum later on managed to enter.

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I saw an honest to goodness RPG Maker game on GOG last month (https://af.gog.com/game/the_witchs_house_mv?as=1649904300), so their current standards are questionable.
GOG only allows high quality content on their platform
https://af.gog.com/game/the_red_strings_club?as=1649904300

lol, the pre-order offer for that one came with a nice little surprise for gog customers as well.

tqql9e3f.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
This could have been the GOG curator playing Wizardry:LoLS...

Starting point at minute 4:00 to skip intro (and make sure you don't miss the highlight at minute 8:02).

Last edited:

Manisan

Novice
I like the dungeon crawler genre, but I prefer with auto-map, but I think the devs should make it optional, like Grimrock. I'm not very good in draw maps :\(is that the reason why I don't play until now Dungeon Master). GOG is no more GOG, what's happening to the curator? It was very disappointing.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
This is the most retarded game I have ever seen so far. Wtf were these developers thinking when they made this game. The crap they come up with is just stupid. I will never buy this game. Thanks for posting this review.

So glad I didn't buy this over dungeon hunter: alliance.

alright i figured out what to do but i had to scroll through your entire comments to figure this game out. u need to go to the guild before you go to the dungeon and recruit party members and then u can stay alive. they should make that a bit more clear

this game is god awfull, 10 dollars is over priced for a game thats built for a 1981 nes system. this game should be 2 dollars. you start and die start die die die die die. you cant do anything. i dont recomend getting this unless youve played the other ones in the series and are a fan. this shit sucks badly

dungeon crawlers are the most oppressed genre.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
This could have been the GOG curator playing Wizardry:LoLS...

Starting point at minute 4:00 to skip intro (and make sure you don't miss the highlight at minute 8:02).

I hope that terrible jerky movement is just from the YouTube encoding. Slightly disappointed how long it took him to die when he first wandered in, if that was EG he'd have been dead inside a minute.

Otherwise looks good to me.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
GOG's curation policy being confusing and frustrating is nothing new, but it seems crazy to me they'd reject the first western release Wizardry on PC in years. Maybe it's a poor man's wizardry, but the series name still carries weight. I'll probably try this out on the Humble Store when I want my crawler fix at least.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom