Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls - now available on PC

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Better not futher delays this time.
And hope that's not another one of these terrible PC ports from Japan.
it's xseed that ported and translated trails games which arguably are the most cared and loved port of japan games ever worked.

Silentstorm

Learned
Oh, so it's allowed now?

I guess complaining does work every now and then, and really, they already had games with an anime art style there already, why the heck wouldn't they have Wizardry of all things!?

DemonKing

Arcane
Has this got any relation at all to the Western Wizardries in terms of gameplay?

If so I'd try it except that Anime art makes my eyes bleed.

Hyperion

Arcane
Has this got any relation at all to the Western Wizardries in terms of gameplay?

If so I'd try it except that Anime art makes my eyes bleed.
It was about as generic as generic can be. And the dungeon design was bad. Occasional pitfalls, and the 'puzzles' were basically: Door Locked, Find Switch. Hit Switch, Head back Door. Even the bonus dungeon where enemy damage triples or quadruples to the point where generic slimes will 1-shot (and possibly disintegrate iirc) anyone it hits has the same shitty design. Encounters are almost static too, so if you're looking to farm an enemy for a drop, you will learn exactly which tile in which hallway on what floor you need to endlessly walk over to trigger the fight. Shining the Holy Ark is the only crawler that pulled that off well because of the Pixie system.

Best Wizardry I ever played was Tale of the Forsaken Land, bar none. Shame about the infamous 'Ninja slowdown' on PCSX2, but it's worth it for a crawler that surpasses Etrian Odyssey.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Yeah, this particular game is regressive as far as the genre goes nowdays. It's not awful or anything, but it's barebones and almost completely lacks inspiration. I played it on the PS3, but I'll probably still pick it up to support the title by bringing some money to the Wizardry name on PC. I'm sure untangling the rights had something to do with it not releasing all this time. Who knows, with the enhancements it might be an overall better game too since it originally came out, worth another run at least.

Best Wizardry I ever played was Tale of the Forsaken Land, bar none.

Right on.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Just bought it. I already played thru most of the game on RPCS3 emulator but I wanted to support what I want to see more of, besides it's only 13 bucks:

WizSouls.png

Remember tho, if you want to play the real continuation of Wizardry then get Elminage: Gothic.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah, just had an hour playing it. It's a bit clunky. There's a tiny delay on moving that's annoying me and the sound has a bit of a crackle in it sometimes. I like the dungeon noises though, quite atmospheric. Once I turned off the UI when exploring the atmosphere improved a lot.

Could have done with a choice of portraits or three, but it's still Wizardry alright. Not in the same league as Elminage Gothic, but beggars can't be choosers in this genre.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Labyrinth Of Lost Souls was made by the dev team who makes the Class Of Heroes games, btw. So if anyone finds that LoLS plays very similarly to CoH games... that's why. They even use the same sound FX for when you bump into a wall as they use in the CoH games.

NOTE: An interesting note about the Class of Heroes games is that the first CoH game was originally a reskinned/remake of the second Wizardry XTH game made for PS2 by Michaelsoft; when Michaelsoft split up, one half went to form the Class of Heroes games and the other half eventually formed Experience Inc, which is why Exp Inc's first games were called Generation XTH; and why the first CoH heroes games is essentially a remake of the second Wizardry XTH game.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Played this some years ago in PS3 but never interested me unlike Tale of forsaken land, Wizardry Gaiden 4, Stranger of sword city, Demon Gaze or Elminage games (I have to complete Ibag tower some day).

I guess it is worth supporting if that makes them port Forsaken land sequel: Busin 2. That game looks fantastic and never got translated.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm quite surprised at all the love for Tales of the Forsaken Land. It was a well presented blobber, but my god everything was so slow it was painful. I was playing on PCSX2 and even with the fast forward I was fed up. I can't imagine the patience required to play it natively and sit through all that pointless animation and camera panning. An immense amount of backtracking as well. Blobber combat has got to be quick and snappy, because you do so, so much of it. Who wants a beautiful pan across five identical orcs standing in a line a thousand times?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Slow animations was the main flaw of that game. That's true. The game was still very good IMO.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Yup. When I first played TotFL my initial reaction was one of utter disgust at how slow everything was, I considered it unplayable tbh. It's one game I'm planning on going back to, however, as I did love the atmosphere and the dungeon aesthetics, plus how much it's praised in several parts. I keep hearing how good the dungeons are and I believe it as it seemed to me that that was it's best part from what I played.

It's such a pity that the sequel was never localized since they added anim skip options.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I wouldn't even say they're expected, tbh. Animations in general are the bane of good turn-based games.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I guess it is worth supporting if that makes them port Forsaken land sequel: Busin 2. That game looks fantastic and never got translated.

Well getting a Wizardry game re-released took months of unexpected delay, and on top of that convincing Atlus already seems like an impossible task.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
My brain must have been warped when I was a teenager, I don't remember TotFL being particularly slow when I beat it almost two decades ago, but then again I play JRPGs, so my sense of time is unreliable. It definitely has the best dungeons from an aesthetic point, though.

680x0

Learned
Bought it to support the genre.

I had no idea ToFL had performance issues on PCSX2, is it any better on high-spec PCs?

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
It's to do with the ninja model specifically. I don't pretend to understand the ins and outs of it, but something in that model totally breaks if you use a render other than software and the game slows to an absolute crawl. Apart from that it performs fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom