Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizards & Warriors running (near) perfectly on modern OSs

V_K

Arcane
-Do skills go up through use? It seems like they do, but I'm not sure.
They do, but because of skill level/skill experience dual scale you're unlikely to get a new skill level by use alone - unless you got it nearly there on the most recent level-up. And to my knowledge, only skill levels have effect on mechanics. Usage does save you some advancement points on level-ups though.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
-Do skills go up through use? It seems like they do, but I'm not sure.

Yes they do. Not so much that it ever matters much though. Intelligence is easily the most powerful stat due to skill points it gives.

-Wondering what the best paths are for abusing the class-changing and getting OP characters...

There is a glitch that allows any class to join any guild and therefore multiclass to any other class. I personally refrain from using it, makes characters pretty samey.

Some character class quests can only be completed once in a game, requiring you to "Reset Adventures", e.g. if you want 2 samurais. I try not to do that either.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Ah, I forgot about the guild affiliation thing.

Right now my party is the standard Fighter-Fighter-Fighter-Thief-Cleric-Mage

What guild is Ninja accessible from? I'm thinking about using that as an intermediary for the fighters before switching them to their final classes. Or will that not work?

Wizard to warlock makes sense too but I feel like I need another intermediary there too. More ninjas!

Cleric will be Monk, ranger(maybe?), Warlock. Thief will be Bard, Ninja, Assassin.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
What guild is Ninja accessible from? I'm thinking about using that as an intermediary for the fighters before switching them to their final classes. Or will that not work?

Ninjas can be obtained through the Thieves guild and the Bushi Dojo, maybe also Fighters guild. It's one of the classes that you can only have once unless you Reset Adventures.

- Stat and skill points are random on level up, as are hit points - but they're governed by attributes to a certain extent. Still random. Reload scumming is encouraged to get non-shitty results (expect to see many 1 HP increases on levelup and rage a lot)

- Skills do go up through use but it's quite slow.

- Class changing is very straightforward and all you have to do is read the manual for the stat prerequisites. It's much easier to get the prestige classes than in Wizardries (stat requirements are quite tame) and there's generally no need to game the system. You can freely multiclass (I guess indefinitely, but I've only done 3 classes per character), however there's no going back to a previous class once you've changed.

edit: beaten by everyone

V_K

Arcane
It's one of the classes that you can only have once unless you Reset Adventures.
Well, that's not strictly true, from what I remember, you just have to change them all at the same time.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe if I make everyone a ninja at once...
Well, in some cases you really can't because you need the character changing class have the promotion quest item in their inventory. But ninjas don't need one, so it should work. IIRC, the trick is to switch to the other character before the NPC finishes promotion speech, so he'll start it anew.
I might be very wrong on all that, it's been a long time.

I can't remember how backstabbing works in this game. I have a Ninja at around level 6 that hasn't been able to put points in the Backstab skill (Ninjas have the Cloak of Night passive skill which means they're permanently hidden, but it doesn't trigger backstab by itself, kind of like how you need both Ancient Lore and Artifacts to identify stuff) - does it become available for purchase in the Thieves' guild in later guild levels?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
I can't remember how backstabbing works in this game. I have a Ninja at around level 6 that hasn't been able to put points in the Backstab skill (Ninjas have the Cloak of Night passive skill which means they're permanently hidden, but it doesn't trigger backstab by itself, kind of like how you need both Ancient Lore and Artifacts to identify stuff) - does it become available for purchase in the Thieves' guild in later guild levels?

I think only assassin's get it, or you can invoke it from the dagger

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Well, in some cases you really can't because you need the character changing class have the promotion quest item in their inventory. But ninjas don't need one, so it should work.

You need the Assassin's dagger.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
-Whoever's idea it was to make poison a permanent status effect can fuck off and die

-Elevator in the kitchen of the Serpent Temple went up, won't come back down. Lucky I had a backup save... from the beginning of the temple

-No Identify spell... WHY? And Artifacts isn't just a normal skill, no, you have to rank up and pay for training over two levels just to get it. Argh.

-Money seems really tight. I guess that's a good thing. So far can't afford any real training.

-Muh skill points. 12 int = 3 skill points/level, what's the next break point?

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
-Money seems really tight. I guess that's a good thing. So far can't afford any real training.

yeh, without resetting adventures, I could never afford most of the equipment that would have been cool to use at my level.

16 / 20. Can't remember right now if attributes can grow above 20.

-Whoever's idea it was to make poison a permanent status effect can fuck off and die

-Elevator in the kitchen of the Serpent Temple went up, won't come back down. Lucky I had a backup save... from the beginning of the temple

-No Identify spell... WHY? And Artifacts isn't just a normal skill, no, you have to rank up and pay for training over two levels just to get it. Argh.

Cure poison is a level 4 Vine spell. There are many fountains that cure poison too, I think it's great that poison is a persistent effect that's actually harmful.

Identify is really a bitch and you only get to identify most magic items once you reach level 5 in Artifacts. Tough life.

Money is tight in the beginning (that's a good thing) but you begin making money hand over fist by the time you're done with Shurugeon Castle.
Depends on your patience as a pack mule and identifying every little thing by hand.

The plants really are the most annoying thing ever. In this playthrough I tried maxing Fiend magic instead of Sun first and that was a mistake, made it a nightmare to deal with them. Fiend magic has been really underwhelming, the instant kill spells never work (I guess because my Sorcery is still relatively low). Low level Fiend is great because of Bloodlust, and Lifesteal is alright, but it just seems massively weaker than Sun magic up until your Sorcery is really high.

I just did the Boogre dungeon, the dungeons in this game are really creative especially compared to the pap we have today.

Last edited:
So you can just pickpocket poor Stout King Freydies for his Treasury key, rob him blind by walking in the front door of his vaults and looting every chest, and guards don't even bat an eyelash. You don't even need to find the renegade dwarf in the tunnels to find a shortcut, although it's worth doing that anyway for the Assassin dagger (goddamn these tunnels are boring)

Bonus extra Dragon Mail in the vault right next to Freydies. The sucker even crafts you a new one like nothing happened.

:hero:

Last edited:
Are you supposed to lose the Assassin's Dagger once you get promoted to Assassin? That's a bummer.

Also, are the gold ingots from Freydies' treasury just vendor trash? They're not worth much...

I've just completed the Dragon Cave, went on to Brimloch Roon etc. It's cool that you get a ship and get to explore the sea.

I think I glitched it a little bit though - couldn't find a way to destroy the boulder so I dropped from the bridge below into the waterfall from the other side for the crystal in the chest, and 'climbed' over the boulder to the other side. I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to do that...

However, I couldn't figure out a way to get back South to turn some quests in the last city - you exit through a ledge (next to the Mavin Sword stand) on the North side of the Dragon Spire into a new area and I couldn't find a way to open the big gate that leads back to the dragon room. There must be a way back, no?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Conceptually, the Boogre cave is a fairly unique idea. Too bad it's the most god-awful area in the game. Worst parts of HP bloat + bullshit enemies. I now have 2 Jungle Lilies chasing me through the teleporter maze while I wait for my mana to recharge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom