Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizards & Warriors running (near) perfectly on modern OSs

Those plants really are bullshit, but I didn't think the Boogre cave was the worst area in the game at all, I thought the dwarven mines were much worse.

You need to go in the dwarf mines to get the
set of armor so that you can get past the mechanical dragon in the mountain to move on to the next town

It's a lot of going back and forth in minecarts and twisting tunnels to flick switches. Very few fights, no other puzzles and very boring.

Sam Bixby

Educated
I uninstalled this game because I was getting some bug where when I would lv up, I didn't get my stats and spells. I think it was because I used two different .exe to play it.

But now when I reinstalled it I still have my old characters in the inn and can't seem to delete them because they have some critical items.

Anyone know where the old inn characters files are because I can't find them on my PC and I deleted all of the W&W files last time.

Xeria

Literate
Wow. If I hadn't found this site, I may have never pulled my WnW discs out again. Thanks to Great Deceiver for posting instructions. I've been playing for the last 3 days and am currently just past Dragonspire. I honestly didn't think I would be able to play this game on a Win 10 64bit rig. As Great Deceiver stated, it truly is near perfect and it truly is a gem. Thank you!!

Xeria

Literate
I don't know if this will help you guys but my mouse was freezing too until, for the graphics, I changed from software driver to D3D 800x600. Making that change, exiting the game and then restarting the game cleared it right up. My mouse didn't stall one time after that. I actually finished WnW this past week with minimal annoyances other than the bugs/glitches which are already in the game. The game froze up a few times on load; not too bad considering how many times I loaded it. A couple of the NPC's eyes looked funny and there was one time the character backgrounds turned white but a reload fixed it. Hope this helps.

Posts such as this one are the reason I've recently joined the Codex. I've attempted
to get this game running smoothly ever since I found a copy recently. Because of the above stated issues however it became difficult to impossible for me to properly experience the game. This level of dedication and perseverance in keeping RPGs (especially older ones like these) functioning for older and newer generations of players is commendable.

For keeping the legacy of gaming
alive for others...
Thank you.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
You need to go in the dwarf mines to get the
set of armor so that you can get past the mechanical dragon in the mountain to move on to the next town

It's a lot of going back and forth in minecarts and twisting tunnels to flick switches. Very few fights, no other puzzles and very boring.

Got through this part, you are right, it majorly sucked.

I was able to make my entire team into Ninjas. I didn't just have to take the quest at the same time I had to finish it at the same time too. Just leaving and re-entering the dojo between one character and the next fucked it up.

Another thing about how this game handles quests--if you've already completed an objective before you get a quest, then that quest is simply skipped. So if you've already met Grunaxe in the boogre caves, no third dojo quest for you, and it costs you a promotion. Pretty lame. You pretty much need a guide to tell you what order to do stuff to avoid this.

What are the ramifications of "reset adventures?" Does it just reset the side quest mobs or will I have to redo the Castle and Mine dungeons as well?

Xeria

Literate
Resetting your adventure resets all ongoing quests. A guide is very handy to have if you want to complete all quests, yes. I'm on my 2nd play since I followed instructions from the first post. Man, I'm so glad I found this site!

LiqMat

Barely Literate
Interesting. At least the OP gave credit to their source. Dege is the one who makes it all possible over at Vogons with his dgVoodoo2 tool. Thank him. He is an insanely cool developer who tirelessly works to make these old games work on modern hardware.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Did you really registered to just tell us something we already knew?

circ

Arcane
W&W was buggy? I had no idea. I just remember you could make elephant characters. And it being tough as balls. And getting lost in samey woods I think. I was going to some area for a quest in the first town and got lost and ended up in some skeleton crypt instead. And I seem to recall now something about annoying flying mob woes.

Wonder if it can hax widescreen

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
You forgot cosmetic face and body customization, after all it's a role-playing game and you only can immerse yourself if everyone looks like a perfect dress-up doll

Been playing the fuck out of this on my retro battle-station (easier then fixing this mess of a game on modern OS). PIII at 550Mhz, 128Mb Ram, Voodoo 3 running on Windows 98SE with a 21 inch CRT.

Game is amazing when you don't have to deal with all the modern issues and bullshit. I been humping that first dungeon all last night and it was just a blast. Minus that fucking respawn rate that was ass fucking me every time I try to do anything worth fucking while.

Really enjoyable game so far, can't wait to sink my fangs into this more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom