Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

WL2 or SRR. Which do you find more promising?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by nihil, Sep 7, 2012.

?

Which do you find more promising?

1. Wasteland 2

88.9%
  2. Shadowrun Returns

11.1%
  1. nihil Augur

nihil
    Project: Eternity
    Maybe a bit

:troll:

but I really am interested.

^ Top  
  2. hoverdog dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive Developer

hoverdog
    Chaos Chronicles.

:martini:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. mote Novice

mote
    I am a little concerned about SRR, on the Kickstarter page it called the game a "2d isometric turn-based RPG", but on the actual official Shadowrun website, it now says "2d turn-based single-player game", curiously omitting the RPG part. But you'd think the chances of the guy who created the Shadowrun pnp screwing up his game is pretty low.

^ Top  
  4. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    Neither at this stage.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. General Maxson Arcane

General Maxson
    Wasteland 2. Like mote said. Anyway, surely W2 will be a proper try at a crpgs that I love and loved, while Shadowrun will be something more of a "lite" version of a crpg. But I look forward to both.

If you don't mean in crpg aspect, then, anything's possible, SRR could be a better and more fun game, and vice versa.

^ Top  
  6. nihil Augur

nihil
    Yeah, the aim of WL2 is more known, and it has the team going for it. We all know what they can do.

Being a big fan of the SNES Shadowrun, though, SRR is pretty high on my list, too. With all the connections, I mean. Same composer, Jordan having said he likes the SNES game, etc.

I didn't particularly mean it in the CRPG aspect, just in the context that both are (or try to be) RPGs.

As for SRR omitting "RPG", I doubt the creator of the PnP would aim to do a non-RPG?

^ Top  
  7. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    He could come to the conclusion that a proper rpg isn't really possible compared to pnp standard or the current videogame market. Then it's not to farstretched to abandon or soften the concept.

^ Top  
  8. communard Arcane

communard
    Age of Decadence. I'm done with studio games, it's becoming more and more clear that the corporate model is incompatible with creativity and innovation.

^ Top  
  9. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    SRR, merely because I am a graphics whore when it comes to 2d backdrops and I am a bit burned out on postapo settings (my own fault, not the games one)

^ Top  
  10. sea inXile Entertainment Developer

sea
    Wasteland 2, but only because we have seen more of it. I do think the Shadowrun setting is more interesting and the stuff they have shown, visually, looks incredible, but until we know more it's hard to get too excited. I still need to see real gameplay from both, though.

^ Top  
  11. nihil Augur

nihil
    Yeah, I guess so. Depends on what we mean by "proper RPG", too, doesn't it? I mean, I doubt we'll see much C&C in Shadowrun.

sea and Surf Solar: Yeah, Shadowrun definitely wins in the graphics department. But have we really seen more of WL2? One screenshot, essentially. Or do you mean "seen" as in "been told"?

^ Top  
  12. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    with proper rpg I meant pen and paper standard = nearly total freedom to do what you want to do or can think of. Such an interaction isn't possible in a crpg and he could come to the conclusion that therefore it doesn't matter when he restricts the game more (than we would like) and make it more linear and storybased instead of freeroaming and statbased c&c.

^ Top  
  13. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2

^ Top  
  14. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Wasteland 2, of course. Chris Avellone, Colin McComb and others, with Brian Fargo producing (who's shown time and time again that he knows when to step in, and when to keep out). Really excited about it.

^ Top  
  15. Roderick Savant

Roderick
    Wasteland 2

^ Top  
  16. kaizoku Arcane

kaizoku
    Age of Decadence & Chaos Chronicles

with W2 & SRR behind

Even if unforgiving I enjoyed playing AoD demo and really liked the lore around the game world. It does give you reasons to play again and you have lots of C&C, where on some occasions failure is not game over (at least outside combat /smug).

Chaos Chronicles... mmmm.... TB D&D with shiny graphics and I liked reading what their views on the gameplay are.

W2, the game can end up to be pretty damn good. But there are reasons for it to fail as well. Funding running out, or Fargo going derp mode.

SRR, I love a cyberpunk setting, but its already showing signs of wowish. That worries me that it will spread out to gameplay as well.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. General Maxson Arcane

General Maxson
    Very similar preferences, but I would add Underrail from Styg, I think it's great too. So there's 5 games that I REALLY look forward to. And there are many more, mostly kickstarter projects. Hope at least some deliver. But I don't think these five will fail. :)

^ Top  
  18. kaizoku Arcane

kaizoku
    The reason I haven't mentioned it is because I haven't played the demo yet. (yes, shame on me)

And since the demo is out, I rather do it before I speak of it.

^ Top  
  19. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    Shadowrun Returns is going to be a single player turn based rpg. Wasteland 2 will have a full party for the player control. There's a higher chance of Wasteland 2 having the superior combat so I find it to have greater promise than Shadowrun.

^ Top  
  20. GaemzDood Educated

GaemzDood
    There's a lot of great true to form RPGs coming out, I honestly can't decide. Divinity: Original Sin, Underrail, Chaos Chronicles, Dead State, & Age of Decadence are other kick ass options as well.

^ Top  
  21. thesoup Arcane

thesoup
    Divinity: Original Sin.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I thought SRR is going to have a party the player controls too.

^ Top  
  23. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    http://www.shadowrun.com/shadowrun-universe/shadowrun-returns
    I'm going by the description on the site. If there is any information to the contrary I would welcome it.

^ Top  
  24. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Well that doesn't say anything about parties or control thereof. I'm 99% sure they've talked about having a team and hiring other shadow runners, but I can't find a link just now.

^ Top  
  25. Mebber Educated

Mebber
    WL2, if just for the names involved.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)