Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - standalone prequel to The New Order

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The levels in the livestream still look like a corridor slog, but with nice backdrops every now and then. I was hoping better hardware would lead to better design instead of prettier graphics...

Then again, the guy playing didn't look like he was taking the most obvious routes to get to places. He knew where to go, but it looked like it had more twists and turns than most modern shooters. Maybe it is more branching than I'm giving it credit for. Probably not, though.

DemonKing

Arcane
It's just historically inaccurate, that's all.

moje8.jpg

Clint says different.

I preordered on Green Man Games for $15 after discount voucher. Even if it's ordinary I'm not gonna feel ripped off at that price.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I played through it today instead of studying for finals. Very strange how this must have been developed, because it is mostly new content (and a bit better too), at six hours, which is how long The New Order was, but at a third of the price.

Also curious is how it wasn't marketed as a remake of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, because that is exactly what it is. At least, it's the first third of that game, padded out to six hours, with later game stuff like supersoldiers thrown in anyway. You start by infiltrating Castle Wolfenstein, then you get captured, your buddy gets killed, and you make your escape. After a trip down cable cars, you make it to a village where a friend puts you on an underground railroad to find totally not Helga von Bulow and her documents. She finds you out and casts zombies on the place, but you follow her to some catacombs where she summons a monster that kills her and tries to kill you.

The main difference, aside from the obvious omissions after that, is that it's designed the same way The New Order was designed (except for cutscenes, which are rare). Shitty segmented hallway levels for consoles, along with the occasional big room where a bunch of bad guys patrol and their commanders call in reinforcements. It's padded out to six hours by a lot of repeated setpieces, like fending off an attack on a building or crappy but really easy stealth against supersoldiers. There are also plenty of scenes where a Nazi has you cornered and twirls his or her moustache for a few moments to show that Nazis are evil and all that...

Uber difficulty is slightly more challenging than in the previous game, but still pretty easy. Mostly I died because I didn't bother trying too hard or didn't play the way the game wanted me to. Other times are really hard to shoot through, but they're doable with some really stupid stealth exploits.

They've slightly improved the base game, but not by much. Just play Return to Castle Wolfenstein instead.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
snip great mini review

Nice summary but of course most of us don't really need to read it to know it's not worth buying. Gave up on modern console shooters years ago, I have no idea how they're able to spend so much money making something so boring. I used to give some of these console shooters a shot a few years ago but always lost interest after a couple of hours so I don't even bother trying them anymore.

It would be nice if they'd remake Enemy Territory. That was a great game when modded with ETPro. Obviously that's not going to happen as Splash Damage kind of bombed with Quake Wars. It looked great on paper, had all the pieces, (objective and class based, asymmetrical teamplay) wasn't too bad to play as I put quite a few hours into it but it somehow lost the magic.

Anyways, I tip my beer in memory of Wolf, RTCW and Enemy Territory.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
This game has some bizarre continuity with past games(much like TNO with Wolf '09). As previously mentioned, this is a pseudo-remake of the first third of RTCW, but in the first chapter when first encountering those super soldiers, BJ mentions having encountered them previously in the X-Labs(where he faced them in Norway in RTCW after the castle and village segments).

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
I played a bit last night - the opening section is pretty bad in that you keep getting to pick up these huge MGs off dead supersoldiers but have to drop them each time you go through a door because apparently you can't work out a way to lever a door open with your pipe and still manage to hold on to a gun.

The weapon sounds lack punch but some of the graphics are quite atmospheric and you can overhear a bunch of Nazis discussing amusing topics. Also the texture pop in that plagued Rage still happens occasionally. I'll play some more before passing judgement but I'd give it a pass so far.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I played Wolf 2009, which was terrible and had regenerating health. Compared to that travesty TNO is a decent game. I'll get this when it's on sale.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Wolf 09 is pretty cool, despite health regen.

It has really cool and varied weaponry, lots of sekkrits and good enemy variety.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Why people hate wolf 09? It was a popamole shooter but it had hubs to explore, big enemy variety, fun powers to play with and varied levels. Not interested on NO or this DLC, there seems to be bullet spongy enemies everywhere, the stealth system is retarded, enemy variety seems poor (its just normal soldiers or bullet sponge suprsoldiers/robots that are like soldiers with a bigger health.), the horror, Indiana Jones, vibes from Wolf 09 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein gone and replaced with this retarded Inglorious Basterds.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Why people hate wolf 09?

Because its start is absolutely abysmal and you have to force yourself to get to the actual good parts. I can certainly understand people who ragequit after the first 2-3 levels in disgust because I was this close to doing that myself.

It gets really fukken good after that, though. Health regen is its only downside.

Renegen

Arcane
The New Order was a great game I found, I hadn't played a balls to the wall shooter like that in years, much better than Serious Sam or other attempts at retro fps.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Fun powers? You mean the ones that saturated your screen in neon puke and piss colors?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Fun powers? You mean the ones that saturated your screen in neon puke and piss colors?
Yeah, the veil vision or what the crap they called that was a bit offensive on filling your screen with shit but you could slow down time and shoot through walls what was moderately fun. Hey... what can I do? I'm a sucker for slow motion powers, Max Payne and Fear made me that way. It is a gimmick but I don't tire of seeing shit flying on slow motion. There are even some gimmicky boss fights that require juggling the powers, they are gimmicky as hell but playing with the powers made things slightly better than just point gun to super bullet sponge until next script fires off on other popamole shooters.:M

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Played through this in its entirety yesterday. Was fun enough, but completely forgettable. Not having played New Order I can't comment on how it holds up against that, but it overall feels like your typical modern FPS - tight corridors, enemy waves in moderately sized rooms, cover mechanics. One thing that bothers me personally is how the game takes control from your character a lot, in ways that are very disorienting - there's something about seeing your character move around in first person, without your control, that makes me very nauseous, had the same problem in Metro 2033.

Also a disappointing finale. I am quite sure the final boss is just a reskin of the giant mutant thing you fight in RAGE - encounter plays out almost exactly the same.

Deleted member 7219

It is fun, if you like more of the same. It is not as good as The New Order in terms of story, though. Unlike Kotaku and the rest, I don't think The New Order's story was amazing, but it did have a pretty coherant story from start to finish. The Old Blood is a bit more retro - you have a loose objective, sure, but really it is about the shooting.

I've got to Wulfburg, the second part, and I'm hoping for some more bizarre occult stuff like there was in RtCW. If it is just going to be more mechs and advanced technology I think I'll get extremely bored.

Israfael

Arcane
This DLC-sold-for-a-full-game can definitely win the award of the most boring and jarring start ever. They were probably so proud with their pipe 'gravity gun'(tm) so that they made us use it on those supersoldaten 5 or 6 times. Later in the game it gets more bearable (grammar nazi joke, other fun trivia and references and whatnot), new shotgun and rocket gun are decent, but then it's ultimately a shareware wolf3d port with generic campaign slapped onto it. TNO was much better in terms of story department, although some of the new level design (the part with the multi-storey funicular carts station) is farther from the 'rectum' philosophy so many fps developers now adhere to.

Would definitely not buy it for 20 jewgolds or whatever the full price was.

Alfons

Prophet
The New Order was a great game I found, I hadn't played a balls to the wall shooter like that in years, much better than Serious Sam or other attempts at retro fps.
Why the fuck do people keep saying serious sam tried to be an old school FPS? It's a horde arena shooter. That's what it always was.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Playing this now and enjoying it a lot more than New Order for some reason. Especially since I finally realized you have to fucking hit apply on the graphics menu to change settings, and my retarded ass got the game looking much better. It still has some of the same issues as New Order with a weird engine, some iffy stealth and not the most open of levels, but if you just run n' gun that shit and kill nazis it can be pretty fun. Visual style is great. Honestly though Raven's game is still better, because of more open levels and cooler weapons.

Edit: Wow, those last few levels are much shorter than the early ones. Beat this today, quicker than I thought. Overall impressions remain the same: good shooting and some cool design, but too linear, weapons are boring and stealth sections suck.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom