Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wolfenstein: Youngblood - two player co-op with BJ's daughters

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Almost every complaint about the game on the Steam forums is met with "you just hate it because it has women protagonists." Then sadly some asshat is like "yeah I only relate to men so this sucks" to help them along. Bethesda are going to use this SJW war shit to shield them from criticism over what a shit game they made.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Funny enough I actually somewhat like the protagonists, their eager, goofy antic is childish yet fit the two young American women with weird rural accent born in Nazi dominated world in 1960. B.J Blazkowicz was a silent ticking bomb in TNO, while Soph and Jess reflect very well the pulpy tone of MachineGames' Wolf games. They're not likable and they don't need to, in a similar fashion as Kane & Lynch.

Maybe it's because I'm very stupid for not being very sensitive to social justice signal or feminist crap as a whole. In this case, I genuinely don't see the problem with Youngblood's protagonists, they brought a new fresh and interesting perspective to an absurd yet brutal scenario, and their erratic behaviour oddly became endearing halfway through. Then again I'm a 32 years old Vietnamese who's incredibly out of touch with politics and just want to play videogames, and stepping into the shoes of a murder happy female teenager is fun, fictional and fun, just like how I play a sociopathic dwarf in most CRPG.

The armor system and bullet sponge can shove themself up its ass though.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
It's disgusting because it justifies sociopathic behaviour by simply turning the tables against the antagonist. A trend seemingly kicked off since Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds, except in Youngblood there's zero reflective thought going into this tale of revenge. It simply glorifies being a murderer against murderers. Sorry but that's not the message I wanna see becoming normalized.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I don't mind the girls. They're well made. My only dent the game's length, shortage of new areas, guns and more villains.

And it's surprising B.J. didn't have a son. B.J. junior. That way they could make more traditional Wolfenstein.

thesecret1

Arcane
Almost every complaint about the game on the Steam forums is met with "you just hate it because it has women protagonists." Then sadly some asshat is like "yeah I only relate to men so this sucks" to help them along. Bethesda are going to use this SJW war shit to shield them from criticism over what a shit game they made.
You seem to be under the illusion that there needs to be some grand damage control from Bethesda or anything. Like they need to "shield" themselves from criticism. They don't and probably won't. They'll ignore the outcry, keep shilling the game as the best shit, maybe say "Yeah there were a couple bugs, but those will all be fixed, promise : DDDDDD" like they did with Fallout 76.

It's disgusting because it justifies sociopathic behaviour by simply turning the tables against the antagonist. A trend seemingly kicked off since Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds, except in Youngblood there's zero reflective thought going into this tale of revenge. It simply glorifies being a murderer against murderers. Sorry but that's not the message I wanna see becoming normalized.
Eh, that's just pearl clutching. Mindless violence is sort of a staple in video games - with this train of logic, you could as well complain about Postal 2 "normalizing" massacring people over having to wait in line. The problem, to me, is that they are using a real world ideology, thus pushing "nazis = bad guys", especially in the current day context of anyone who isn't far left being called a nazi. At that stage, it starts to become more of a propaganda piece than a game.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
6681117FE42C982BCCA663551BA07FEA5A857B0E

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Well, putting swastika icons in games no longer causes humans to burst into flames when they see them... so there's that. Amazing how easy it is to get the tail to wag the dog these days.

Except for the German release, that is. In the German version, the swastikas will be replaced by rainbows. Fitting.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Yeah man 'cause video games never usually have you murder people, especially not FPS games. These poor Nazis getting such special disdain, how sad.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The point of a good FPS is to overcome challenge, not to exalt brutalization. But I can see why retarded game designers find the latter easier.

I wonder what world you're living in. FPS games don't glorify brutalization of bad guys? Like... I can't even fathom how you came to this conclusion. Don't let being triggered by SJW whining turn you into someone whining about Nazis getting their heads blown off in a fucking video game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Oh my god... I just spent over an hour, maybe almost two hours, slowly climbing the first big tower. The level design was great, thanks Arkane, and that's what was pushing me forward. Also those towers are linear levels that feel more like a decent game, despite the issues. So I go all through this tower, takes me forever, and then finally I get to the top and fight the big robot boss. I get him down almost to zero, but he kills me right at the end. Then the game loads me... at the very bottom of the tower, in the sewers, at least an hour if not 90 minutes of progress before. There were like 4 different sections of the tower with loading screens between them! I assumed the game would at LEAST use those as checkpoints, jesus. I can't imagine accepting that even in co-op.

Fuck you, uninstall.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished the game, took me 9 hours. It's a very very solid 2/10.

The armor system is hilarious. There's two types of armor that you need to match, one is A and one is B. A type is reserved for low tier enemies with no or less armor, like Uberkommander, Ubersoldaten or Jager, while B type includes mech and heavy soldiers. SMG, machine pistol, shotgun, dieselkraftwerk and electrokraftwerk shred A type while AR, pistol and laserkraftwerk shred B type. You see the problem here? The way the game applied armor type to enemies is incredibly arbitrary and rigid, for example a bare commander with no heavy armor takes 2 mags of AR to strip armor, while SMG only needs 20 rounds to drop the fucker. You might pick up a heavy weapon from enemies like a laserhammer, that thing melts supersoldaten in a second yet can't drop a jager (imagine cloned Fren Engel with SMG) because the dev said it's not the right weapon to kill them, not because it fires too slow for a fast enemy, or their range isn't preferable, it's simply because the little square under it on screen (armor type) is not the same one on enemy's health bar.

If you run out of ammo for an armor then what to do? Tough fucking luck, the game says. Also, towards the later half there's noticably more enemies with B type armor, so the game does have a bias. If you like the shotgun in previous games like me then just throw it out of the window because what it can do, both the machine pistol and SMG can do better with magazine upgrade. For some reasons, thrown weapon and laserkraftwerk seem to be given an exception as they literally don't care what kind of armor type enemies have except in some specific cases.

The level design, well somehow the first Wolfenstein game made in collaboration with Arkane is also the game with worst level design for stealth. There are 4 small sandboxes with premade areas, verticality, shortcuts and an underground system which always lead to another area. Sound great right? The thing is, Dishonored style level design doesn't work in this type of game. Dishonored and Prey are slow paced, encourages exploring and give player a skillset to traverse the environment. Wolfenstein Youngblood is too fast paced, rarely give player a chance to notice whatever the hell is happening in the background, and at the end just funnel you into corridor shooting sequences. If you're lucky, maybe you can takedown 2 or 3 unarmored grunts before setting off the alarm, and once you go rampaging, there's no incentive to explore the hidden parts of the level, aside from shortcuts that save you time while sprinting back to metro station.

The aesthetic doesn't get better, the architure stays the same throughout the entire game. Pretty boring visually.

The whole stats progression and weapon upgrade are... bleh, each one has mastery levels that require kill milestones, reach milestone to increase damage. It's just as pathetic as modern ubisoft's games. Far Cry New Dawn did let you go completely sneaky on an outpost, but not this game.

The story... what fucking story. A hint at another universe, maybe rewrite history part 2 or going to space for real. They did some kind of passing the torch at the end but it ended up flat.

The boss fights... some exist, one is annoying.

Spiders' RPG fans will feel right at home with the respawn system in free roam levels tho :troll:

3D Realms sent me a review code for Ion Fury's full release build so at least I have something to cleanse my brain now.

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
It pains me to see one of gaming's most legendary characters getting cucked :(

swiMXy8.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom