Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World Cup of Decline(25)

KoolNoodles

Arcane
How would you guys feel if I did a bunch of natgen stuff where the primary race and sacred race had to be one of: Abysian/Elephant/Muuch/Crossbreed/Dustwalkers etc., generally the big good ones that tend to not have "ranger" or "light infantry" sacred troops. And exclude hobargs, atlanteans, xotz, stuff like that. I don't think we get hoburg mechs anymore or fun stuff like that.

But I've seen some OK stuff with those other races.

Dayyālu

Arcane
What's wrong with rangers? Who are they, anyway? And who are dustwalkers?

latest

KoolNoodles

Arcane
A nation based on hidden in the sand troops?

For some reason, the Dom5 version of natgen absolutely LOVES the "ranger" unit type. Usually human/hobarg/Caelian small race light infantry with a bow(usually composite) and a one handed weapon(usually small/long sword).

We aren't even talking Wardens, which might be ok. They are usually lightly armored and don't have crossbows or big swords.

Dustwalkers a pretty awesome, but natgen doesn't usually like to make them. They get wrecked by any nation with D1 mages, but still.....fun and different.

mondblut

Arcane
Diamond-loving Levy, hmmm... (((Hoshati))), you say?

Those rangers, aren't they typically recruit anywhere? Easily massed sacred archers can't be that bad with a proper bless?

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Diamond-loving Levy, hmmm... (((Hoshati))), you say?

Those rangers, aren't they typically recruit anywhere? Easily massed sacred archers can't be that bad with a proper bless?

Seems most if not all are capital recruit only. Sometimes the light infantry sacred is recruit anywhere, but maybe 1 out of 30 nations.

Infinitum

Scholar
Still voting MA, but if you get the randos rolled and ready to go that's fine too. Any words on forming teams?

Infinitum

Scholar
The centaur players will be a bundle of joy with this one (stealthy/holy 1/durable thug chassis at 120 gold). Kind of eh on the other races, the elephant mages in particular seems overcosted. Plenty of sacred Werewolves, Werebears and Werechanical Men for whatever reason. Bonus point for the nekkid Burning One sacred with no weapons. Disappointed none of the Fomorian nations can match the madness that is the Ceassidigh Sword Master as a thug chassis.

Is there any way to disable secondary races? The random offkilter mages kind of kills the flavour imo. Still voting MA.

Last edited:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I hope someone picks the pugilist Abysian werebears. Just remember that bears don't have fire resist. :lol:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
The centaur players will be a bundle of joy with this one (stealthy/holy 1/durable thug chassis at 120 gold). Kind of eh on the other races, the elephant mages in particular seems overcosted. Plenty of sacred Werewolves, Werebears and Werechanical Men for whatever reason. Bonus point for the nekkid Burning One sacred with no weapons. Disappointed none of the Fomorian nations can match the madness that is the Ceassidigh Sword Master as a thug chassis.

Is there any way to disable secondary races? The random offkilter mages kind of kills the flavour imo. Still voting MA.

Elephant mages should become Elephant SCs. At least that is what my strategy would be. For instance, Calbad as a 51HP H1 Elephant for 130 gold. Good natural protection, quite high MR, Combat/Map speed comparable to Cavalry, and a free tusk attack with three misc slots. Easy thug.

Their top mage is the same except better where it counts(MR), it can buff four different good paths, and comes with some undead chaff. Sure it's 500 gold and old, but with some decent gear and regen/bless, one wouldn't expect it to die much.

The Were-whatever stuff was me messing with mandating special properties to make stuff more interesting. Generator maybe went a little overboard. The random races mixed in is because I didn't eliminate humans, because I can't figure out which one triggers having dustwalkers, if any. They don't seem to be a specific race in the options, just randomly generated off of some human race.

If anybody knows that riddle, then give a shout. Can easily do similar batches with the same parameters(will look similar to this) and hope for a couple dustwalker nations that could also be fun. They seem to rarely be generated. I think there were a couple mixed into one of the weaker nations.

Edit: I guess there weren't any full on crossbreed nations either, those are pretty fun and wacky. Sacred crossbreed cavalry creates all sorts of fun stuff. Downside is usually their mages don't have hands to hold anything(which, I don't get, Octopi have "tentacles" -arms really- and they can manipulate stuff).

Last edited:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
So what is the verdict comrades? World Cup is fast approaching elimination games. Wasn't there a "summer" Dominions 4 game that didn't start until Christmas or something? I miss raw

KoolNoodles

Arcane
True. We could do no Disciples too, I'm flexible. Guess we've hit the doldrums of Dominions MP.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I'm gonna go ahead and make the game with the that natgen mod, on that map, and put it on llamaserver. We'll just do free for all, but keep the other rules. It's a shame, as that eliminates all the football team theme ideas I wanted but there doesn't seem to be much interest in Dominions right about now.

You'll start with three provinces including capital. Lvl1 thrones, try to not eliminate anybody/besiege their cap within the first two years, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom