Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Keshik

Arcane
Thought the item squish was confirmed, but they'll have to provide some buff or some workaround so you can still do stuff like smack around 60 Rag at 95 or whatever level they raise it to. Hopefully in the next expansion they don't have it set up so you must grind rep and tokens as well.

Revenant

I would go back if they made five man content F2P and just charged subscriptions to access raids and, I guess, rated battlegrounds. They say F2P isn't really on the table but if they ever did introduce it I'm sure it would be something like that: they allow you to level to the cap and do some dungeons but if you want to get into the meat of the game you have to pay the fee.
F2P isn't so outruled now as it was during WoW's zenith in 2010 or so and might be on the table some time in the future:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/24/sure-sounds-like-blizzard-wants-to-take-wow-f2p/

However, it almost certainly won't happen anytime soon, as WoW has to lose more than a million or two subscribers before F2P pays off.

Suicidal

Arcane
I'd love to come back to WoW once and fuck around for a bit but only if they make it free to play. Too poor to spend money on games ATM not enough to buy potato.

J1M

Arcane
I did the MoP trial a while back. Was pretty annoyed to find that the 7 day trial didnt allow you to take your existing level 85 character to level 86. I certainly wasn't going to buy it based on a starting zone when the challenge modes were the only interesting feature they added in the expansion.

Angthoron

Arcane
Thought the item squish was confirmed, but they'll have to provide some buff or some workaround so you can still do stuff like smack around 60 Rag at 95 or whatever level they raise it to. Hopefully in the next expansion they don't have it set up so you must grind rep and tokens as well.
They "confirmed" the "item squish" for MoP as well, and check out the stat bloat there now, oh my, oh man.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
They "confirmed" the "item squish" for MoP as well, and check out the stat bloat there now, oh my, oh man.
they never said anything about squish "for MoP". they just said they had thought about it and said it was, at some point, kinda inevitable.

my 7 free days ran out and I managed to get my rogue to 86. I added a month but won't add any more than that. just gonna prep the character for whatever comes.

MoP is kinda boring to level through, at least initially. way too linear.
on the upside, rogues are very satisfying to play. pretty cool with talents like cloak & dagger (adds 40yd teleportation to stealth abilities) and nightstalker (adds +50% dmg to stealth abilities) allowing you to pretty much one-shot weaker enemies "from afar" with ambush. last night I was killing flying eagles with this combo.

J1M

Arcane
The way to get people back into wow is to change the group dynamics.

Add a fourth role to the holy trinity.

Example roles:
-support buffer/debuffer
-kiting
-ranged tanking

Ideally, there would be a new class like a bard as the exemplar of the new role, and some existing classes could have 4th specs added/old specs changed in focus.

Another option:
"5-man raiding"

Back when heroics were first introduced, they were punishingly difficult, and a ton of fun purely for the challenge. I would like to see this format return. Challenge modes were a step in the right direction.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You kidding? People aren't going to go back to WoW by making another role to have for dungeons/raids. As it is they're moving towards scenarios because everyone just wants to DPS and not worry about tanking and healing.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The way to get people back into wow is to erase everything that happened after TBC.
Or at least that is the only way I'd be interested.

A new role wouldn't make any difference, like Metro says what most people want to do is mash buttons and stare at Recount, all that would do is create another spot that is hard to fill on random groups.

J1M

Arcane
You kidding? People aren't going to go back to WoW by making another role to have for dungeons/raids. As it is they're moving towards scenarios because everyone just wants to DPS and not worry about tanking and healing.
Maybe that's what the people still playing want. The people I know who left preferred more complex roles.

I usually ended up tanking because I didn't like target swapping to heal. That is probably why the only healer spec I liked was discipline with a smite focus.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They'd never recover the 'hardcore' former players. Most of them have aged past MMOs, anyway. Blizzard knows this and they've moved on to the Facebook generation: more reputations to grind, cosmetic items to farm for/buy for real-life currency, scenarios, endless dailies, Raid Finder/Flex Raiding, pet battles, playing Hearthstone in-game, etc. etc.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
Hardcore players still have their content in WoW... and only WoW. The casual player base has been the majority in WoW since forever, not exactly sure on what planet you live if you think it never existed.
You are contradicting yourself, btw. If people care only about personal progression, then heroic content is the only thing that matters and the point of endgame hasn't changed one bit.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
all this flex raiding casual bullshit lost them half their revenue in less than 10 months. hardcore players like myself never gave up on wow it was a nice hobby blizzard just killed it to attract a manufactured casual player base that never existed in the first place.

no one cared about killing the final boss in an expansion, it was all about personal progression. handing out 7 different versions of the same content and gear killed the point of the endgame - and then getting cocky and releasing an april fools expansion was icing on the cake.

blizzard doesn't know WTF they're doing.

more entertainment watching the decline of my favourite games company. it's justice for destroying my childhood dream of working at blizzard.

They make far more money from the casuals. It isn't even close. Anyway, it isn't as if there's any prominent 'hardcore' MMO for the 'hardcore' crowd to go to now. It's either hard mode WoW raids or nothing.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Warlords of Draenor
http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/

Blizzard just trademarked "Warlords of Draenor" in New Zealand. It was then registered in Australia shortly after.

The Dark Below was something else then. Warlords of Draenor makes sense if it's a return of the burning legion. Draenor is, of course, Outlands. Re-making Outlands would make sense - it's the most dated part of WoW. Playing though 1-90 you only spend a few hours in Outlands going through perhaps 2 zones or something.

Last edited:

Don Peste

Arcane
Warlords of Draenor

Blizzard just trademarked "Warlords of Draenor" in New Zealand. It was then registered in Australia shortly after.

The Dark Below was something else then. Warlords of Draenor makes sense if it's a return of the burning legion. Draenor is, of course, Outlands. Re-making Outlands would make sense - it's the most dated part of WoW. Playing though 1-90 you only spend a few hours in Outlands going through perhaps 2 zones or something.
I hope that's Warcraft IV... BTW, why isn't someone kickstarting a Warcraft clone?

J1M

Arcane
Warlords of Draenor

That sounds really stupid. WoW already had a whole expansion about killing off warlords in outland.

More likely it is a Hearthstone expansion.

"Heroes of WarCraft"
"Warlords of Draenor"
"Fags of the Shire"
etc.

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I think it's way too early for an expansion pack for Hearthstone (or to even trademark a title for it). The base game is not even properly released yet.

I think it's very likely it's an Outlands expansion.
1) the legendary quest in Pandaria leads up to a "something big is coming" conclusion
2) Outlands is very outdated
3) Sargeras is one of the very few remaining "well-known" villains of WoW

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The Dark Below was never anything. It was some random fan who made a draft of an application without actually filing it. Although redoing Draenor/Outlands seems pretty lazy. Would be more interesting to go to the original Draenei homeworld of Argus. But that would take creativity instead of reusing assets. While Outlands is dated it takes maybe.... twelve to twenty-four game hours tops to level through it. Also there is zero chance they use Sargeras as a villain before trotting out another old god or Azshara or take your pick of whatever two-bit bad guy they can invent.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I sort of agree with J1M, though. This sounds more like a Hearthstone booster pack or 'expansion' versus a WoW expansion. Yeah it's pretty early but it wouldn't surprise me if they launch a major paid expansion to Hearthstone at the same time they release the F2P to the public.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom