Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
LoLadins!

I'm a little Paladin,
short and stout,
here is my hammer,
here is my mount,
when I see a Horde,
I scream and shout,
get in my bubble and hearthstone out!

Their cursings and grumbles still eschoes in time when they had to buff the whole raid 1 by 1.

Lerk

Learned
I recall very clearly that paladins in Judgement were impossible to kill in PvP too. It was usually a rout if one of those showed up :salute:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Scholomance could be pretty hairy too. As for tanks ... honestly in my experience tanks were more valued for their dependability than their "skill". They had no rotation as such, spamming sunder gave insane threat, shield block and mortal strike on cooldown and spam heroic strike. No decent tank took more than 15 points in the prot tree anyway (just enough to get Defiance), the rest was spent in Arms for Mortal Strike (few points in Fury for Cruelty)
Scholomance was a waste of time. Sunken Temple too. Not a single worthwhile item to get.

Threat was an issue if you played in a high tier guild where everybody wanted to top the DPS charts. A few bosses had aggro resets. Most guilds had a rule of thumb "start DPS on 3 sunders", but when you had 3 rogues with TF in the raid, they would have to wait a little longer.

I never said anything about having to put a lot of points into the prot tree. Talents were irrelevant back then because everybody had the same builds.

Stance Dancing on a boss? Suicide because you lost your damage reduction and you typically weren't crit immune unless you had full tier 2 with Styleen's Scarab. Tanks had to up their game in AQ and Naxx, but then so did everyone.
You had to stance dance on Magmadar, Nefarian, and IIRC if you were good you could also time it on Onyxia, unless you played undead (which I did) or Alliance (in which case you're a big faggot and had easy-mode throughout Vanilla anyway).
Okay, maybe not HAD to, but if you were quick and good it was a good thing for the raid. As long as you told healers.

Lerk

Learned
Scholomance could be pretty hairy too. As for tanks ... honestly in my experience tanks were more valued for their dependability than their "skill". They had no rotation as such, spamming sunder gave insane threat, shield block and mortal strike on cooldown and spam heroic strike. No decent tank took more than 15 points in the prot tree anyway (just enough to get Defiance), the rest was spent in Arms for Mortal Strike (few points in Fury for Cruelty)
Scholomance was a waste of time. Sunken Temple too. Not a single worthwhile item to get.

Threat was an issue if you played in a high tier guild where everybody wanted to top the DPS charts. A few bosses had aggro resets. Most guilds had a rule of thumb "start DPS on 3 sunders", but when you had 3 rogues with TF in the raid, they would have to wait a little longer.

I never said anything about having to put a lot of points into the prot tree. Talents were irrelevant back then because everybody had the same builds.

Stance Dancing on a boss? Suicide because you lost your damage reduction and you typically weren't crit immune unless you had full tier 2 with Styleen's Scarab. Tanks had to up their game in AQ and Naxx, but then so did everyone.
You had to stance dance on Magmadar, Nefarian, and IIRC if you were good you could also time it on Onyxia, unless you played undead (which I did) or Alliance (in which case you're a big faggot and had easy-mode throughout Vanilla anyway).
Okay, maybe not HAD to, but if you were quick and good it was a good thing for the raid. As long as you told healers.
Scholomance had the best plate armor in game for tanks who wanted to start raiding (Deathbone set) because it was loaded with defence (and mp5, but that was irrelevant). Valor plate dungeon set was shit for tanking and dps (leather pieces were better)

Also you had to stance dance as Horde? What were your shamans doing? O_o

Last edited:

yeye

Augur
Their cursings and grumbles still eschoes in time when they had to buff the whole raid 1 by 1.

It was true pain. And as a reward you got gear with spirit on it. Fucking spirit!?

I recall very clearly that paladins in Judgement were impossible to kill in PvP too. It was usually a rout if one of those showed up :salute:

The gear disparity between raiders and non-raiders was so huge by the time T2 sets were obtainable I could easily tank 3 or 4 rogues while healing myself and my teammates in PvP. Judgement wasn't a good set stat-wise (still had fucking spirit on it) but it looked amazing so I always wore it for pvp.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

Scholomance had the best plate armor in game for tanks who wanted to start raiding (Deathbone set) because it was loaded with defence (and mp5, but that was irrelevant). Valor plate dungeon set was shit for tanking and dps (leather pieces were better)

Also you had to stance dance as Horde? What were your shamans doing? O_o
yes, IIRC I was using a leather chestpiece before my might chest. I don't really remember too much of it though, just that I always thought scholo was boring because there weren't any fun fights or rewards.
I did grind scholo for the sawbone shirt tho. it's still on my shaman (which was the character I started playing in wotlk and onwards).

shamans anti-fear totem ticked unreliably. every 3rd or 5th second. useless.

the one point where shamans were really useful in raiding was the first encounter in BWL. the earthbind kiting tactic, when earthshock generated ridiculous threat.

J1M

Arcane

Those dungeons may not have had great loot, but they were fun to explore. I don't think Blizzard has made a dungeon you could get lost in since vanilla.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Tanaan Jungle, marketed as WoD's max level content zone (99-100) postponed into a patch after expansion launches. Blizzard rushes in calling "I-I-It w-was a plan f-from g-get go!" (Hint, it wasn't, Fara'lon was the only zone they ever said was coming in post-patch)

Lore @CM_Lore
@ChromWolf Those level ranges are correct. Rest of Tanaan will be in a content patch (it's the Iron Horde's primary seat of power).

Lore ‏@CM_Lore 33m
@DarkElpizo Tanaan isn't "pushed back". Plan has always been go through dark portal -> escape -> come back later to finish the job.

Kablammo ‏@WhammoKablammo 31m
@CM_Lore @DarkElpizo It has not been said before that Tanaan isn't live in 6.0 - new decision or new information for us?

Lore @CM_Lore
@WhammoKablammo @DarkElpizo Not a new decision. Perhaps not communicated clearly. We haven't talked much about content patches post-6.0.

:troll:

Last edited:

Avellion

Erudite
What do you guys think of the WarCraft movie logo?

WarcraftMovie-610.jpg

And here is concept art of stormwind.

1.jpg

Edit: If it was not meant to be there from the get go, and it is only supposed to happen later down the storyline, why is it a level 99-100 zone and not a max level zone like that blood elf isle was in TBC.

Last edited:
So I read some of that "War Crimes" by Christie Golden.

What an atrocious book.

Aside from the furry scaly romance between Jaina and Kalecgos (seriously?), Thrall having two children with that random shaman now, and, uhm, I recall only:

Baine glanced over at Go'el [Thrall], Eitrigg, and Varok Saurfang. Go'el had taken his son, Durak, from Aggra, holding the child securely and with ease. Baine knew that, having lost his own father to violence, Go'el was determined to be actively involved in the child's rearing. Cairne had been such a present father, and the sight unexpectedly moved Baine. Fathers and sons . . . Grom and Garrosh, Cairne and Baine, Go'el and Durak, Arthas and Terenas Menethil, Varok and Dranosh Saurfang. Surely this recurring theme was a reminder from the Earth Mother of the connections that ran so deep, and how they could manifest great good or great evil.

:negative::negative::negative:
:bravo:

Israfael

Arcane
Tanaan Jungle, marketed as WoD's max level content zone (99-100) postponed into a patch after expansion launches. Blizzard rushes in calling "I-I-It w-was a plan f-from g-get go!" (Hint, it wasn't, Fara'lon was the only zone they ever said was coming in post-patch)
When i remember what they said during blizzcon, and what they do now, I shudder :roll: After they decided to remove Heroic Strike, i'm not even sure if i'd play dps spec on my warrior in Warlords (if i even play it).

PS Something on modern vs old raid complexity - after 267 wipes, our guild finally downed Siegecrafter Blackfuse on heroic. This was an excellent fight that cant be truly bruteforced (unless you have 5-6 frontloaded dps and can go with degenerate 2-1-7 setup with 1 very skilled hunter soloing all 5 belts) and tests every aspect of gameplay and skill for every raid member. As i found out when we sorted out missile placement on belt 3-4 transition, every minute thing mattered. Sorry for all the pathos and whatnot, it's just would be very sad to see all this complex 'raid-dancing' to go away in WoD with overboard mobility reduction they plan to implement.

Lerk

Learned

WarcraftMovie-610.jpg
It actually managed to escape Development Hell?
I'll believe it when I see it. And I have every expectation of it being terrible. "Dungeons & Dragons" movie terrible. Not even Jeremy Irons could save that.

And the logo is terrible, I mean the IP already HAS a logo that's lasted 20 years, wtf is this pseudo sci-fi crap? Looks like someone knocked that out in Photoshop during a lunch break.

J1M

Arcane

WarcraftMovie-610.jpg
It actually managed to escape Development Hell?
I'll believe it when I see it. And I have every expectation of it being terrible. "Dungeons & Dragons" movie terrible. Not even Jeremy Irons could save that.

And the logo is terrible, I mean the IP already HAS a logo that's lasted 20 years, wtf is this pseudo sci-fi crap? Looks like someone knocked that out in Photoshop during a lunch break.
This is probably what happened:

Movie exec: "Ok, we don't want Warcraft gamers to be confused into thinking this is the same game they've already played, so change the logo. We can't be sure if any of those players would care enough about a movie to know it is being made. Those who don't know what it is won't care. Blue and orange are big right now, use blue and orange."

Also, they will change the logo when they make an actual trailer.

Zeriel

Arcane
It's being directed by the guy who did Moon...

So I am simultaneously expecting it to be total shit because it's Blizzard and Warcraft, and kind of worried it might be decent, because Moon was really good.

Then again directors rarely make a movie great if everything else about it sucks, so eh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom