Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Would an Avellone-led FNV have turned out better than Sawyer's?

Title

• Total voters
When MCA took control of NV DLCs, he sabotaged where Sawyer's vision taking Fallout to(post-post apocalypse) and then he refused to write the companions Sawyer outlined for him in PoE unlike base NV where he did what he's been told :D

MCA's vision for Fallout's future is dumb as hell, tho

"Let's nuke everything back again and do Fallout 1 re-runs because things are becoming 'too civilized' "

No they are not. There is still plenty of Wasteland to explore. Personally I feel like Fallout works best in the border between civilization and savagery. Fallout 2 and FNV were perfect in that regard - there was plenty of chaos, banditry, savegery and primitiveness, but there is also actual new civilizations being built, places with order, science being done and things generally being slowly patched up again.

Then again, I think BIS did a mistake when they advanced the setting by 80 years in 2. There's some evidence that 2 originally happened in 2220s not the 2240s.

F2 is a disgrace to the IP and the cRPG genre.

bethestard.png

I have given your post the regard it deserves.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
No. Initially I would have said yes, but after discovering some hard learned truths in connection to Chris, it is with great regret I must admit he seems to have lost the will to take the darker roads that a game like Fallout would require to be thematically appropriate. It would have been interesting to see how he would have approached the world and setting, but ultimately, I believe Josh was the right man for the job at the time, and the decision to place him in charge was the best one.

ironmask

Arbiter

"Let's nuke everything back again and do Fallout 1 re-runs because things are becoming 'too civilized' "

No they are not. There is still plenty of Wasteland to explore. Personally I feel like Fallout works best in the border between civilization and savagery. Fallout 2 and FNV were perfect in that regard - there was plenty of chaos, banditry, savegery and primitiveness, but there is also actual new civilizations being built, places with order, science being done and things generally being slowly patched up again.
This. I don't understand why chris would just nuke everything when he could just make a prequel to fallout 1 or set a new game around the same time, just like Fallout: Nevada and Fallout 1.5: ressurection.

Black Angel

Arcane

This. I don't understand why chris would just nuke everything when he could just make a prequel to fallout 1 or set a new game around the same time, just like Fallout: Nevada and Fallout 1.5: ressurection.
Indeed. Instead of making a 'sequel' and have gameplay in a setting forward in time, I think they'd better off making new games in Fallout setting but at different parts of North America but roughly around the same period of time as when the Vault Dweller begin his adventure.

2house2fly

Magister
Bethesda wanted them to set New Vegas after Fallout 3, so a prequel wasn't an option. Setting it in a more hostile, unsettled area certainly was though

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
Nope, F1 fanboy.
lol and you complained about New Vegas lacking content

It lacks quality content.

So if I get your previoua post in this thread right your previous argument wasn't that F3 actually had more content, but that it had more quality content compared to New Vegas.

BRB

:0-13:
Both are true. FNV lacks the exploration value and world building quality of F3, like empty terminals without entries to read.

Quests of FNV are copy pasta fetch quests ala F2 while each one of F3 is unique and finely craftted.

Black Angel

Arcane
Bethesda wanted them to set New Vegas after Fallout 3, so a prequel wasn't an option. Setting it in a more hostile, unsettled area certainly was though
I'm not even talking about New Vegas. I think they made the mistake since they decided to do a Fallout 2 set 80 years apart from Fallout 1, like The Brazilian Slaughter mentioned.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Speaking of trolling, how come I lost my honorific shitposter emblem?

Were my accomplishments forgotten already? Must I fight to earn my title back?

You'll never be better than you are today. If you are lucky, by superhuman effort, you can avoid slipping backwards for a while. But sooner or later, you're going to lose a step, or drop a beat, or miss a detail -- and you'll be gone forever.

- Malcom X

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom