Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you prefer if Baldurs Gate 3 was 2d or 3d?

Would you prefer if Baldurs Gate 3 was 2d or 3d?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Citizen

3D with turnable camera. I'm playing PoE 1 for the first time now and i hate that i can't turn the camera for better angles. There's no reason to be archaic imo, not much benefit in 2d RPGs over 3d other than nostalgia.
True, if by "nostalgia" you mean "area backgrounds that don't look like piss and vomit".

The best looking 3D RPG is Divinity Original Sin 2 and it still looks like shit when compared to PoE 2.
PoE 2 is 3d though.

Nah, prerendered backgrounds + 3d objects on top

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
3D with turnable camera. I'm playing PoE 1 for the first time now and i hate that i can't turn the camera for better angles. There's no reason to be archaic imo, not much benefit in 2d RPGs over 3d other than nostalgia.
True, if by "nostalgia" you mean "area backgrounds that don't look like piss and vomit".

The best looking 3D RPG is Divinity Original Sin 2 and it still looks like shit when compared to PoE 2.
PoE 2 is 3d though.
We are not talking about character models, which in PoE are 3D (and are ugly as fuck).

We are talking about area backgrounds and sceneries, which in PoE are definitely not 3D. I think you can see the differences between PoE and D:OS sceneries.

Neurohaox

Novice
Including 2d sprite in 3d game engine it doesn't make engine or the game itself 2d. It's a 3d game with prerendered backrounds using particular gimmick, locking camera and disabling perspective, to make it feel like infinity engine games. It's non-debatable, even if anyone believes that it's 2d game, people who don't acknowledge reality are none of my concern, I'm just pointing this out to anyone that actually might not be aware of that.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Including 2d sprite in 3d game engine it doesn't make engine or the game itself 2d. It's a 3d game with prerendered backrounds using particular gimmick, locking camera and disabling perspective, to make it feel like infinity engine games. It's non-debatable, even if anyone believes that it's 2d game, people who don't acknowledge reality are none of my concern, I'm just pointing this out to anyone that actually might not be aware of that.

Okay, let's rename the topic "Would you prefer if Baldur's Gate 3 was 3D or 3D with pre-rendered backgrounds using particular gimmick and locked camera?", then.

Come on, you can understand what's the topic here, I don't think anyone is actually arguing for a TRUE 2D game.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

You have to go back.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I think it will be fully 3D given the state of Larian's toolset which allows elevation. I don't know if it's possible to do that with 2D.

Neurohaox

Novice
NJClaw said:
Come on, you can understand what's the topic here, I don't think anyone is actually arguing for a TRUE 2D game.
Other people in this very thread were mentioning sprites being difficult to work with so it's good to point it out, and once we're on same page, ask the question whether it would be possible to have infinity-like TRUE 3D game, as this is much more likely for Larian Studios than going back to 2.5D or 2D.

Cos its 2D lol.
Now I know how it feels to meet one of them.
flat-earth-funny-memes-28-5b325364901bf__700.jpg

JasonNH

Augur
I think it will be fully 3D given the state of Larian's toolset which allows elevation. I don't know if it's possible to do that with 2D.

The DOS2 engine is really just 2D faking 3D. For instance, you can't both walk over and under a bridge.

DraQ

Arcane
Oh, really? Most of the time? Yeah, you're definitely smarter than those who say 2D is always better which nobody really does.
I have just responded to a guy who stated just that in this thread.

How is it better most of the time? Because hurr durr extra dimenshuns? You completely fail to explain, and your problem with 2D seems to be that.. well, it doesn't have enough dimensions. Therefore, I must conclude, that 3D is better just because extra dimenshuns.
So, why not make a 1D game then? Or is 2D better just because extra dimenshuns?
:M

Oh yeah, and in many cases it's actually worse. Since this is about BG, you only have to look at BG vs NWN1 and 2 to see how 3D can make shit worse. Significantly worse.
Because NWN is totally BG except 3D.
And it's only worse because extra dimenshuns.
:M
Would lose almost nothing if it was 2D with a heightfield terrain.
Ok, now you're officially out of your fucking mind.

2D Myth would be merely more or less what BG was initially planned to be before it went RPG. And it would most likely be completely unremarkable. Sure it would retain one part of its appeal which is Black Company-esque vibe, but it would lose pretty much everything else. Myth was largely *made* by its incredibly detailed mechanics - projectiles following ballistic arcs, stuff bouncing and rolling around (and either hurting people or painting the terrain with gore), arrows blown of the course by explosions, duds doused by damp terrain or weather the could be blown around and possible reignited, stuff like that. And it was fucking glorious.

Sure you could achieve imprressive feats with 2D with heightmaps (take Dark Reign, for example), but not nearly this level of detail.
2D Myth would not be Myth.

What exactly is 3D doing so awesome here that was not possible in the previous Wizardries?

The answer obviously is "nothing". But that's what a limited knowledge of games besides Bethesda garbage does, I guess. You just talk about shit you know, even if it doesn't have any relevance.
Being able to move about freely (combat included), see stuff above or below and not being constrained to looking in 4 directions only.

I won't argue for Wiz8 looking better than 7, but being 3D definitely has other advantages.

Though of course, in your brainlet skull, I guess it goes like this: Wizardry 8 is good and is 3D, therefore 3D is better than 2D. *clap clap* I made teh agurmentz!!
Fuck off. Wizardry 8 is good and therefore 2D is not superior - neither automatically, nor most of the time.
You can clown about reading whatever you fucking please into my fucking posts but I won't humour you by pretending it was what I actually wrote.

Yeah, amazing argument. Also, you can't make candies without sugar, therefore sugar is better than salt. :retarded:
Problem? There are many things you can make in 3D but not in 2D, but few (if any) you can only make in 2D but not 3D.
:martini:
Sounds like superiority to me.

Man, aren't you informed and know how to use your knowledge to make compelling arguments.
I am preempting otherwise inevitable retards lamenting that BG3 is going to be fugly 3D instead of beautiful, hand-drawn 2D like 1 and 2.

Are you personally affected?

You seem to think that people have something against the concept of 3D rather than against its disadvantages and its unnecessary uses. Guess it's expected from a simpleton who has something against the concept of 2D because "where's muh dimenshuns for imershuns" to think everyone does the same.
Except:
  • I just responded to a person like that.
  • So far it is you who has exuded the most of butthurt and retardation in this thread.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
The DOS2 engine is really just 2D faking 3D. For instance, you can't both walk over and under a bridge.
Ok, that's genuinely interesting.
While I can't actually recall passable bridge with passable terrain underneath, there are definitely overhangs that can be walked both on and under, so it doesn't seem to be the case of game not handling multiple locations with the same x and y coords.

Mark my words, BG3 is going to be over the shoulder 3d like Dragon Age. Larian mentioned somewhere that they will not use the engine of their latest games. Plus they have a bigger team for BG3. This is also the reason why they haven't shown any screen shots yet. They didn't want to break the hype wave right at the start.

Not true. It's been stated multiple times that it's the same engine just a newer version.

Engine and graphics programmer: - Co-development of Divinity Engine with Larian Studios for Baldur's Gate III project
turn-based confirmed?

JDR13

Arcane
Mark my words, BG3 is going to be over the shoulder 3d like Dragon Age. Larian mentioned somewhere that they will not use the engine of their latest games. Plus they have a bigger team for BG3. This is also the reason why they haven't shown any screen shots yet. They didn't want to break the hype wave right at the start.

Not true. It's been stated multiple times that it's the same engine just a newer version.

Engine and graphics programmer: - Co-development of Divinity Engine with Larian Studios for Baldur's Gate III project
turn-based confirmed?

Is there supposed to be a point in there somewhere?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So, why not make a 1D game then? Or is 2D better just because extra dimenshuns?

Hilarious witticism.

Because NWN is totally BG except 3D.
And it's only worse because extra dimenshuns.

No, it's worse because everything, including the 3D which not only has no use at all, but makes the games shittier to control. What to choose between controlling the camera by just moving the mouse and controlling it with mouse movement, scroll and several keys, I wonder? Must be the latter, because 3D is always superior!

Myth was largely *made* by its incredibly detailed mechanics - projectiles following ballistic arcs, stuff bouncing and rolling around (and either hurting people or painting the terrain with gore), arrows blown of the course by explosions, duds doused by damp terrain or weather the could be blown around and possible reignited, stuff like that. And it was fucking glorious.

Yeah, and which of these can't be replicated with a heightfield terrain?
Or with a fixed camera?

2D Myth would not be Myth.

Agreed, because that's how it was made so it's part of the game's look and feel. Similarly a 3D Fallout would not Fallout either... so...

Being able to move about freely (combat included), see stuff above or below and not being constrained to looking in 4 directions only.

Neither of which has anything to do with that makes the game good.
I'd say it's just superfluous shit that serves no purpose which means that at best 3D didn't improve anything.

Kinda hard to accept the "3D is always superior" shit when in many instances it either does nothing or straight out makes thing worse.

Jeru

Novice
Those are not times when 2D had to have low-resolution sprites or when 3D had giant triangles everywhere and looked like ass. So whatever they choose is ok as long as it is well done aescethically and is coherent.

I would like though if they went more realistic and less cartoony than DOS though.

Anyway what will make or break BG3 are other non graphical things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom