Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you still be willing to play a Silent Storm mod?

Daigoji_Gai

Scholar
aweigh said:
There was a thread a while back almost exclusively about the portuguese language. Dai, would you say portuguese when spoken sounds similar to french, and when written reads similarly to spanish?

EDIT: And what are your thoughts on XUXA.

Depends on regional variances, but its all rooted in romance baby. Which is why all of my romance languages, except for my Nuyorican Spanglish, is atrocious - and all my attempts to speak them should be cut off at the head. It all gets garbled up in my head.... Let me directly answer your question - somewhat, but I say somewhat based on my own botched understanding of the romance languages and how they all collide in my head. Of course my Brazilian professor would strangle me for saying such a thing.

As for XUXA...
I will burn in hell for saying this, don't hold it against me... I don't want to talk about politics... but god damn she was HOT! Edible... How can you not want to eat her.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
suleo said:
Oh and on topic: I hate panzerkleins and I have both SS and SSS. I hated them in both, for all the reasons written here, the biggest one being that I hate sci-fi crap (and badly implemented at that) in historical settings. If you want tanks, implement tanks, not stupid robo-suits. This isn't mechwarrior.

Actually it very much is. Or rather the setting is what it is because that's how the developers apparently wanted it to be, warts and all. I'd like to see a WW2 game just like Silent Storm in terms of engine and gameplay but I don't feel any particular desire to turn my project into it. This isn't Mechwarrior, but it's not a realistic WW2 game either.

As for replacing Panzerkleins with tanks, what is the advantage? Yes, it's more accurate from a historical perspective. But in terms of gameplay you're just replacing a small tank with a bigger one, literally. The problems still apply somewhat - tanks aren't very maneuverable, are slow, awkward to control, virtually immune to most weapons... At least you can bring down PKs by shooting at the pilots whereas with a tank that's just not going to happen unless you blow up the tank.

Daigoji_Gai

Scholar
Role-Player said:
suleo said:
Oh and on topic: I hate panzerkleins and I have both SS and SSS. I hated them in both, for all the reasons written here, the biggest one being that I hate sci-fi crap (and badly implemented at that) in historical settings. If you want tanks, implement tanks, not stupid robo-suits. This isn't mechwarrior.

Actually it very much is. Or rather the setting is what it is because that's how the developers apparently wanted it to be, warts and all. I'd like to see a WW2 game just like Silent Storm in terms of engine and gameplay but I don't feel any particular desire to turn my project into it. This isn't Mechwarrior, but it's not a realistic WW2 game either.

As for replacing Panzerkleins with tanks, what is the advantage? Yes, it's more accurate from a historical perspective. But in terms of gameplay you're just replacing a small tank with a bigger one, literally. The problems still apply somewhat - tanks aren't very maneuverable, are slow, awkward to control, virtually immune to most weapons... At least you can bring down PKs by shooting at the pilots whereas with a tank that's just not going to happen unless you blow up the tank.

Have you been following the game from the Warhammer guys [edit: Relic], sounds like it just may become Silent Storm minus the issues: http://www.companyofheroesgame.com/

Company of Heroes looks damn good. I liked Dawn of War but being a player of the old table top game (I still have my hand painted miniatures) I had issues with some of the liberties they took. Granted some of them were needed to make the game work as an RTS.

I do have high hopes for Company of Heroes though.

Daigoji_Gai

Scholar
Role-Player said:
That looks very spiffy but it's an RTS :/ Only comparison with SS is the war part of the setting.

I thought one of the major complaints with SS was the turnbased element, and the horrid AP system that was handled to a far better degree in the original X-Com and the original JA series... Maybe they will add a "hot pause" system similar to Fallout Tactics and what is being planned for Jagged Alliance 3D?

Llyranor

Liturgist
Heh. Relic has already pointed out that CoH will be a fast-paced RTS akin to DoW. Twitch-fest, meh.

Pass.

Daigoji_Gai

Scholar
Llyranor said:
Heh. Relic has already pointed out that CoH will be a fast-paced RTS akin to DoW. Twitch-fest, meh.

Pass.

Lame ... *sigh* I guess it is time to build a 486 for some retro gaming then (those slowdown apps and Dos emulators don't work on my current beast)

bryce777

Erudite
Daigoji_Gai said:
Role-Player said:
That looks very spiffy but it's an RTS :/ Only comparison with SS is the war part of the setting.

I thought one of the major complaints with SS was the turnbased element, and the horrid AP system that was handled to a far better degree in the original X-Com and the original JA series... Maybe they will add a "hot pause" system similar to Fallout Tactics and what is being planned for Jagged Alliance 3D?

What about it is supposedly different?

Daigoji_Gai

Scholar
bryce777 said:
Daigoji_Gai said:
Role-Player said:

In terms of how Action Points are handled in X-Com vs. Silent Storm?
Question is unclear sir.

bryce777

Erudite
Daigoji_Gai said:
bryce777 said:
Daigoji_Gai said:
Role-Player said:

Question is unclear sir.

Yes, how is ss different than ja and xcom? The action points seemed the same to me. The only difference I can think of is burst mode (which doesn't work as well) and sniping (which is a very good addition).

Daigoji_Gai

Scholar
bryce777 said:
Daigoji_Gai said:
bryce777 said:
Daigoji_Gai said:
Role-Player said:

Question is unclear sir.

Yes, how is ss different than ja and xcom? The action points seemed the same to me. The only difference I can think of is burst mode (which doesn't work as well) and sniping (which is a very good addition).

Pacing and the cost to bank ratio. I'll write more about it when I get in tonight after "after-work" drinks with the ladyfriend (much more mature than I,so she is no "girl"friend).

To give a tease, basically I felt that the action cost to bankable action point ratio. e.g. and the costs of certain actions, were terribly flawed compared to X-Com and JA. There wasn't enough time spent on the cost per action formulas and what it would take to actually make combat more tactical, enjoyable and less (pray I have enough points to get here and pray that the wonky stat system lucks me a hit).

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
I don't think I ever heard complaints about Silent Storm's turnbased system or action points... Most complaints I heard were about Panzerkleins (zomg not realistic mkay?), performance issues and general balance problems (ie, bases stockpiling infinite ammo which in turn lessened the need to scavenge most battlefields, etc.).

bryce777

Erudite
Role-Player said:
I don't think I ever heard complaints about Silent Storm's turnbased system or action points... Most complaints I heard were about Panzerkleins (zomg not realistic mkay?), performance issues and general balance problems (ie, bases stockpiling infinite ammo which in turn lessened the need to scavenge most battlefields, etc.).

See, this is why I don't trust your bullshit TRUST ME responses ala pete hines. Which for some reason you can't seen to fathom.

If infinite ammo is your big balance concern,t hen you are fucking imbecile...not that we ddin't know that already.

bryce777

Erudite
Daigoji_Gai said:
bryce777 said:
Daigoji_Gai said:
bryce777 said:
Daigoji_Gai said:
Role-Player said:

Question is unclear sir.

Pacing and the cost to bank ratio. I'll write more about it when I get in tonight after "after-work" drinks with the ladyfriend (much more mature than I,so she is no "girl"friend).

If I recall you can just leave some unused and wait for an interrupt. No big deal, and just like in JA or xcom.

The system has a few flaws, such as being able to throw more shurikens than an SMG can fire once you get throwing over 110, but for the most part I think it is better because most of the costs, such as aiming, looking, standing, etc. etc. etc. are based on skill or stat somehow or can be improved with a perk.

So, your skills actually have a subtle but real effect on your character in the long run. You notice serious improvement, but at the same time you can't ever become rambo - unless you are a scout which has some broken issues in the first game....

Daigoji_Gai

Scholar
bryce777 said:
Role-Player said:

See, this is why I don't trust your bullshit TRUST ME responses ala pete hines. Which for some reason you can't seen to fathom.

If infinite ammo is your big balance concern,t hen you are fucking imbecile...not that we ddin't know that already.

Be nice sir. When you get angry you make errors like this:

concern,t he

You are slamming on the keyboard too hard. Relax, relate, release. Say a few Woo-sahs... will give yourself a heart attack.

Role Player:
Now then, the panzercrap broke the game... but part of the reason I was interested in your posts Role player about this mod because I was wondering if you could adjust the movement/action cost tables for all units.

I really need to go, but I will do my best to put forth a legitimate argument why, at its core, SS had horribly implemented its turn based system. It did not become apparent until the panzercrap arrived, but it became moreso apparent playing through their follow-up to SS based on the russian supernatural film Nightwatch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom