Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WoW PvP servers

merry andrew

Erudite
I heard they are kind of fun. Please share your experiences with them.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Yeah they're lots of fun. Nothing says fun like being in Westfall and there are a dozen level 50 undead running about killing everyone in one shot, or being in that Northshire or whatever Horde area and being a level 15 undead vs level 40 humans from the nearby town.

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
Hey dumbass Westshire is Alliance, they cant attack you unless you attack them

Tarren Mill is contested though

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
oh noes u got me! In a generic example of a game I haven't played in months I made a small error! I'm not teh 1337 like you minigun, I should burn in shame.

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
Damnit KC if you had not played a constantly patching, constantly changing game in months then why are you saying anything?

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
MINIGUNWIELDER said:
Damnit KC if you had not played a constantly patching, constantly changing game in months then why are you saying anything?

Now, I play WoW, and I even enjoy it. But saying that it is "constantly patching" is being a tad generous.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
So the Paladin skills do this instead of that and they nerfed this skill or that skill. It's the same game with the same problems it's always had, especially with PvP.

Drakron

Arcane
In short, its no fun.

The whole thing ends up about 2 things, level and raids.

If you are 20 levels above you simply destroy the opposition that have to gang up on you with sheer numbers to kill you and you simply "one hit" kill then half of then.

Raids are pretty much the same, except you are in a group army and go beat some city for the heck of it ... Tarren Mill gets hit pretty regulary.

In PvP severs you are asking to be killed because you are PvP enabled from the start so they anyone from the opposite side can kill you and there are several quests that are in "enemy" or "contested" territory ... nothing like going to Scarlet Monastary (that is in "enemy") and get killed by some hord idiot that is camping on the Alliance entry.

In essence PvP is "fun" when you happen to have a word on that, when you flag yourself for PvP you are simply putting a "kick me" sign on your back and in PvP you are in a place were the idiots that enjoy lame PK exist in great numbers.

I also have not played for months but I doubt some of the well know raids locations have changed at all, even if they did "buff" the Mill guards and speed up their respawn rate.

Lurkar

Scholar
Usually, the public channels on the PvP servers are enough to wish Hitler had no master race, and instead wanted to just wipe the slate clean.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
I just plain have no respect for anyone over 18... months, that is :?

And the only thing I know about WoW, is Leroy Jenkins, and Serenity Now, those guys that massacred an online funeral. Borderline nasty, but still funny.

vrok

Liturgist
PvP servers are great if you're starting on a fresh server, those that actually have world PvP. The old PvP servers mostly consist of morons who should've picked PvE since most if not all PvP interested players has long since quit the game due to boring battlegrounds and raiding-endgame, which also happen to be the only thing the PvE crowd does besides idle in Ironforge/Orgrimmar.

All this goes away if you're starting on a fresh server though, because there everyone else will be doing the same thing you are, making friends and enemies while fighting for the right to level in particular areas. It's usually a great experience. Bringing your own friends into the game can save you alot of trouble though if you start to notice that most people on your faction are assholes. Soloing isn't recommended unless you truly enjoy the challenge of survival.

Don't expect to do any satisfying town raids though. When you're high enough level to take on the guards, most of the NPCs inside are flagged civilian and will give you penalties to your PvP rank if you kill them. Yep, it's as gay as it sounds. Blame the whiners that chose the wrong type of server when creating their character. The game was alot better before this change and battlegrounds went in.

So basically, if you start on a fresh PvP server it can be a great experience but eventually you'll hit 60, and even if you do enjoy the endgame, remember to quit when you're starting to get bored. To answer your question though, the game has it's good and it's bad points but in the end it's the memorable experience that makes it all worth it, and the good memories will last you alot longer than the bad ones.

Surlent

Liturgist
pvp in WoW is boring.
Servers don't change it much, it's battleground grind in the end anyway at 60.
Outdoor pvp is dead at 60 thanks to dishonorable kills and even if people managed to pull up a raid and attack the opposing faction's city, the server couldn't handle the load.
-former rank12

LlamaGod

Cipher
WoW PvP Servers are basically shittier versions of Normal DAoC servers.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It's very gear oriented at late game for WoW, I personally quit cause I can't keep up with the gear-demands and there's a lot of people wanting the same thing. I just got tired of waking up 5 am to raid a boss and then going back to sleep at 12 before going to noon class.

Even in PVP Server the incentive is just not there. You can easily do a 'proper environment' PVP with their Battleground maps that you can queue for and get better rewards. Outdoor pvp is reward is shit compared to what u get in Battlegrounds anyway. But it could be fun with a great guild, but after taking a break for a month or so, I find that I'm not actually missing any of it. So I quit :)

merry andrew

Erudite
Usually I end up playing an MMO looking for some great role-playing experience, but this time I'm considering it just as a social event and to see the sights. It's similar to why I occasionally watch television at random. I have a friend who has played for a long time so I'm assuming I'd only be soloing a lot if I wanted to.

vrok said:
in the end it's the memorable experience that makes it all worth it, and the good memories will last you alot longer than the bad ones.
That's what I'm hoping.

Why is PvP rank so important? I think I understand it rewards you with PvP-only items, but can't you find similar items from questing? It sounds like most of the people who play PvP base their self-worth on that rank so they avoid dishonorable kills like the plague. If I wanted to play a PvP game where rank was a huge deal, I'd play Guild Wars.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
The items are better, as far as I know. It's just another way to grind.

Merry, I would recommend, if you really want to play it, paying for only 1 month and playing two or three characters to about 35-40. That's the level where things really start to slow down and you start to realize you've been doing the same quests over and over, only you're killing red foozles instead of blue ones and collecting yellow dragon claws instead of green ones.

trystero

Novice
MINIGUNWIELDER said:
Hey dumbass Westshire is Alliance, they cant attack you unless you attack them

Tarren Mill is contested though

Hey dumbass, it's WestFALL :)

best,
trystero

merry andrew

Erudite
I'm gonna pick it up today, and just pay on a month-to-month basis. I don't really expect to get much enjoyment out of the core gameplay, just the player community and what they do with it. I have some friends who play often, and one of them tells me that it's the perfect MMO if you don't want to feel like you have to devote a ton of time to it to get anywhere or have fun with it. But we'll see, honestly if I wasn't on a sort of vacation for the next 3 weeks I wouldn't even have considered it.

Thanks everyone.

trystero

Novice
merry andrew said:
I'm gonna pick it up today, and just pay on a month-to-month basis. I don't really expect to get much enjoyment out of the core gameplay, just the player community and what they do with it. I have some friends who play often, and one of them tells me that it's the perfect MMO if you don't want to feel like you have to devote a ton of time to it to get anywhere or have fun with it. But we'll see, honestly if I wasn't on a sort of vacation for the next 3 weeks I wouldn't even have considered it.

Thanks everyone.

As far as PvP, I have no experience on such a server type, but I did mess around quite a bit in the three battlegrounds. Rolling a Horde character led to very short queue times when waiting for a game. Most people seemed to roll Alliance, so there were always more Alliance waiting in the queue than Horde available to fight them. So, if you want to play the Battleground PvP games, I advise rolling Horde.

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
RPPVP or PVP

one has morons the other has
a.assholes who only RP in hopes of cybering
b.in character rambos who partake in weekly 40 man raid groups to oggrimmar

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom