Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Wow, something good for a change! Witcher Interview

Jinxed

Liturgist
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

<a href=http://www.gameshark.com/>Gameshark</a> has done an <a href=http://www.gameshark.com/home/316/p_0/The-Witcher-Interview.htm>interview</a> with Witcher Chief Designer Michal Madej yesterday. So far no fatalities.<br>There are many good snippets worth quoting, here's two: <blockquote><b>Gameshark</b>: Can you explain how combat is going to work? The Witcher is a story-driven action-RPG, so are we to assume it’s like Diablo in that sense? Or are you taking it in another direction as far as control goes? How much strategy is involved during combat or are you simply clicking on bad guys until they die?</blockquote><br><blockquote><b>Michal Madej</b>: First of all, we have to clear up a certain misconception that surfaced in your question – “The Witcher” is not an action RPG comparable to “Diablo.” As great a game as “Diablo” is, it’s best if you leave aside any preconceptions and connotations that you may have associated with it, for “The Witcher” actually has very little to do with Blizzard’s game. “The Witcher” is a classic RPG – more analogous with titles like “Baldur’s Gate,” “Knights of the Old Republic,” and even “Fallout” – though presented in a completely new, modern and fresh form.</blockquote><br>The interview sounds pretty good, until he talks about the combat:<blockquote>As for the combat system, this was one of the greater challenges we had to face in the game’s production. The fact that we were looking to merge classic tactical choices with modern dynamic action in real time, as well as with easy and intuitive controls, all the while staying true to Sapkowski’s literary descriptions, was making us wonder why we were making life so difficult for ourselves. This was especially true, since we could not draw from similar systems, for they simply did not yet exist in other games. And while we had to work literally from scratch, in my opinion it was definitely worth it. <b>Consequently, we avoided any unexciting static turn-based play, thoughtless and mind-numbing mouse-clicking, or a “click and forget” system</b>. Instead, I dare say that the combat system we created is spectacular and dynamic, as well as one that gets the player hooked by giving him liberty to tinker around with a plethora of combination possibilities.</blockquote><br> Unexciting eh? Yeah, ToEE combat was boring, static and uninspired...Damn that turn-based, damn it to hell. Anyway, looks to me like it's real time with pause.<br>Spotted at <a href=http://www.gameshark.com/>Gameshark</a>

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Jinxed said:
all the while staying true to Sapkowski’s literary descriptions
does this mean i get to gut people, watching them crawl in the mud as their bladder empties itself and their entrails slowly spill out until they horribly die?

Section8

Cipher
I wish the Witcher guys would just shut the fuck up. Everytime they open their mouths and spew forth scattergun hype like:
a classic RPG – more analogous with titles like “Baldur’s Gate,” “Knights of the Old Republic,” and even “Fallout”

I feel less inclined to play their game, lest it turn out to be a piece of shit - more analogous with titles like "Baldur's Gate," or "Knights of the Old Republic."

Far too many of the questions feature replies like, "Well we made the game like <x>, but people who like the polar opposite will also be happy because of <y>. Which is either empty hype, or a very troubling middle ground that pleases nobody.

As for the combat, it sounds something like Summoner from his description. Nothing special, but marginally better than click and forget.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"ToEE combat was boring, static and uninspired"

Describes TOEE's combat to a tea. Turn base isn't always good.

And, of course it's RT with pause. It uses the Aurora for a reason. Duh.

Jinxed

Liturgist
Section8 said:
I wish the Witcher guys would just shut the fuck up. Everytime they open their mouths and spew forth scattergun hype like:
a classic RPG – more analogous with titles like “Baldur’s Gate,” “Knights of the Old Republic,” and even “Fallout”

I feel less inclined to play their game, lest it turn out to be a piece of shit - more analogous with titles like "Baldur's Gate," or "Knights of the Old Republic."

I think he's Cherry picking elements that he thinks were worthwhile in each of these games.

Far too many of the questions feature replies like, "Well we made the game like <x>, but people who like the polar opposite will also be happy because of <y>. Which is either empty hype, or a very troubling middle ground that pleases nobody.
Comparing it to other games even if they were totally different makes sense if he is just using certain elements in those games, not the games in their whole. Besides, those games are easy to relate to for a gameshark reader as well.

As for the combat, it sounds something like Summoner from his description. Nothing special, but marginally better than click and forget.

Summoner? You actually played Summoner? I remember a time a few years ago when I had nothing to do and I played that game, man, the combat was shit.

Vol: No.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Easy combat is boring.

TOEE's combat was very static. It neve rhcnaged. Only thing close to non staticness was random encounters and those wer eusually nothing more than masses of the same monsters that you alreayd killed before. ie. Bunch of skeles, bunch of bugbears, etc., etc.

TOEE's combat was uninsipired. Oh, look at that? Another bunch of bugbears that will ignore the front line and go try to trip the mage eons down the hallway but get slaughtered as they pass the tanks.

HAHAHA!

Like I said, described to a tea.

TOEE's combat SYSTEM is awesome. It's combat sucked.

Jinxed

Liturgist
Wait a minute, don't you usually think about the combat system as well when you are talking about combat in a game? :? The quote talks about the combat system anyway.

Dunno, I didn't find the encounters to be static, enemies didn't always go for the mages, you fought against mages yourself, archers, and other monsters that tried to kill you in different ways according to their abilities. ToEE combat only got easy if you figured out the 3rd edition rules well, otherwise character development could go astray and you could end up a bit handicapped. Which is only natural, because without playing the game at least once you didn't really know what is possible in the game, and how the rules were implemented. Then again, I can't find a single RPG that remained a challange when you mastered the combat mechanics... Except JA2 Wildfire.

Section8

Cipher
I think he's Cherry picking elements that he thinks were worthwhile in each of these games.

I think you're being too forgiving. He's basically trying to say "Our game isn't Diablo. Here are some well-regarded RPGs. And then - "though presented in a completely new, modern and fresh form."

So in other words, a scattergun approach.

If you like Baldur's Gate, you'll like The Witcher.
If you like KOTOR, you'll like The Witcher.
If you like Fallout, you'll like The Witcher.
If you think those games are archaic, The Witcher is modern.
If you're sick of "typical RPGs" then The Witcher is completely new and fresh.

Comparing it to other games even if they were totally different makes sense if he is just using certain elements in those games, not the games in their whole. Besides, those games are easy to relate to for a gameshark reader as well.

I'm not talking about the game comparison here, I'm talking about shit like:

The hardware requirements for the game will not be overly demanding. In order to fully appreciate the game’s visual potential, however, higher end equipment will be necessary, nonetheless.[...]

While sensible enough, it seems like they're really hedging their bets. "It's not about high-end graphics! But if you love high-end graphics, we have those too!"

Just like they've done with combat - "It's not slow and dull like turn-based, but it's not devoid of tactics like Diablo!"

I'm making a note to avoid reading any more about the Witcher. I was sold on the idea before all the PR kicked in.

The_Pope

Scholar
The idea they are trying to convey is that the game is a real RPG with enough flashing lights to entertain the average gamer. Hopefully it's true.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
I get Section's point on this. The guy basically throws out names of popular RPGs and says his game is like that. Just more hoopla; not atcual facts.

Tyhat's ok though, hype doens't bother me. Dunno why people take it so personally. L0L

Texas Red

Whiner
Section, you are correct. I dont read anymore of that bullshit PR about the Witcher. Call me a pessimist but I dont believe in anything, absoultely *anything*, they have said so far. Im going to have to actually play the game to see the truth. Therefore I will download a "demo" myself if they dont provide one.

There are no laws in our "democratic" societies about lying to the public, instead it is called "public relations" and "marketing".

Off topic but seriously though, there is no grain of freedom in democracy. I cant believe Im the only one who sees it. Others are sheep not even trying to form their own opinion.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
You talk about 'laws' than plan to 'steal' something. L0L

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
SuicideBunny said:
Jinxed said:
all the while staying true to Sapkowski’s literary descriptions
does this mean i get to gut people, watching them crawl in the mud as their bladder empties itself and their entrails slowly spill out until they horribly die?
And casting a spell will demand similar concentration effort as farting during an official party of the noble class.

Vidder

Liturgist
unexciting static turn-based play

how about an exciting dynamic and fresh turn-based combat system then?

why do they always think that only RT-combat can be improved? (not that they really improved much in the last years in that direction)

Texas Red

Whiner
Vidder said:
unexciting static turn-based play

how about an exciting dynamic and fresh turn-based combat system then?

why do they always think that only RT-combat can be improved? (not that they really improved much in the last years in that direction)

Since the era of Biowarian RTwP combat of BG it has always been one bullshit combat system after another. Why cant anyone fucking understand this? Oh, I forgot, all of the "reviewers" are bribed/retarded and it serves no porpuse in asking these questions.

Vidder

Liturgist
i think its also a trend thing... if all mags and reviewers write that turnbased = boring/nerdy than it is for most of the players.

the whole game business is getting ridiculous. (yes i know: "getting" ha ha)

if there would be a game from a major developer with turnbased combat and in general old school gameplay and that game would receive as much hype from the publisher and game mags it would be a similar success as todays light/action rpgs.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
The Walkin' Dude said:
Section, you are correct. I dont read anymore of that bullshit PR about the Witcher. Call me a pessimist but I dont believe in anything, absoultely *anything*, they have said so far. Im going to have to actually play the game to see the truth. Therefore I will download a "demo" myself if they dont provide one.

There are no laws in our "democratic" societies about lying to the public, instead it is called "public relations" and "marketing".

Off topic but seriously though, there is no grain of freedom in democracy. I cant believe Im the only one who sees it. Others are sheep not even trying to form their own opinion.

You have the freedom of stating in public without consequence that you plan to steal something from someone else, so shut the fuck up you whiney, pathetic, retarded bitch.

Stop justifieng piracy with such bullshit arguments you little consumer whore. If those guzs dont release a demo, dont fucking buy the game.
I pirate myself very occasionaly, but at least im not trying to defend it with bullshit arguments.
You little filthy bastard, if youre not happy living in a civlized democratic country like estonia why the fuck dont you move back to that fucking shithole of russia, thats were you belong anyways you asian degenerated fucktard.

God, Im just glad we dont have such a fuckingly annoying russian minority here in Poland. My sympathies for the estonians.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
It always funny to see EE fucktards claiming "asian"(everybody to the east of Poland) nations to be degenerated and making othere retarded arguments, like connecting nationality with IT piracy, and then presenting themselfs as democratic and civilised.

I didn\t connect his nationality to IT piracy. And Russians are ok, unless they are part of a fucking minority in a different country and let themselves happiliy instrumentalize by the russian goverment to destabilize said country.

God, TWD you remind me of the fucking german minority in czechoslovakia which motivated by hitler started bitching and protesting about how bad they are treated. You fucking tool.

Hamster said:
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
I didn\t connect his nationality to IT piracy.
Why do you lie?(c)

Stop the bullshit, start the truth.

He started to bitch about how democracy is so evil and there is no real freedom, and no law forbids to "lie" to the public, yet he doesnt seem to have a problem with theft.

I was just asking him why he doesnt go back to russia if democracy is so terrible after all. Nothing else. Dont take the asian comment to seriously, I was a little angry.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Section8 said:
I'm making a note to avoid reading any more about the Witcher. I was sold on the idea before all the PR kicked in.

Probably for the best S8, I think the Fallout 3 thing is making you go into extreme cynical angry cunt overload, and we wouldn't want you to break down and leave the Codex again now would we?

MasPingon

Arcane
You have the freedom of stating in public without consequence that you plan to steal something from someone else, so shut the fuck up you whiney, pathetic, retarded bitch.

Yeah..so..I'm glad you liked an interview guys

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom