Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WR - General Chit-Chatter/Tidbits

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Venerable Luther Blisset made this fine draft of the armor I wanted, it's looking good already! When it is finished, I will upload the updated demo then. :)

TIHfj.png

Previously they had the old Fallout Combat armor sprites and looked like this

kkkkk.png

nice that there is an appropriate one now!

Venerable Luther Blisset made this fine draft of the armor I wanted, it's looking good already! When it is finished, I will upload the updated demo then. :)

TIHfj.png

kkkkk.png

It's looking pretty awesome I must say. I always preferred the look of combat armor in Fallout. It looked bad ass, yet appropriate to the setting.

grotsnik

Arcane
Love the old house - the little details like the vines entangled in the fire escape are sweet!

(Wait, is that meant to be the outline of someone fallen through the snow under the tree in the foreground?)

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Love the old house - the little details like the vines entangled in the fire escape are sweet!

(Wait, is that meant to be the outline of someone fallen through the snow under the tree in the foreground?)

The vines were directly painted on the building and suck a bit, could look a bit better in hindsight. :P I Tried to directly model them in 3d but it looked even worse. There is one "corpse" behind a window there as well, but it's too small to recognize, same as the body in the foreground you mentionend, yep.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Looks awesome. It's interesting how those low-poly models can still look excellent as sprites with a bit of touch-up.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012

TIHfj.png

kkkkk.png

Wow, so the demo is really going to be out soon?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

TIHfj.png

kkkkk.png

Wow, so the demo is really going to be out soon?

There is still heaps of stuff to do and I couldnt really work on it the last months (hence the lack of updates). Hopefully by fall/winter I have more time to work on it, sorry guys.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I've finallly a bit more time lately (and before Destroid makes a smartass comment, no, everything's fine :P ) and I will be able to work on the polishing - will keep you guys up to date for the demo now! :)

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Umm...Don't really keep up with the codex anymore so sorry if I missed some big announcement, but...Is this project dead ?

Hey. The game isn't dead, it was just put to frozen state for a couple of months because of some real life crap, other team members being occupied etc. As stuff got better lately and I got a bit of a motivation "kickstart" I've just commited some new changes to the games repository and looked through my design docs after a while, I hope I can get back to churn out lots of new stuff for the game as I did months before, I was practically working 24/7 on it which was a bit unhealthy for motivation :). I was also considering to move to a different engine perhaps, as the FOnline engine I am using right now is really nice to work with, but ultimatively limtied to what I want to achieve. Still considering and looking for demo versions of other engines (Unity?) - but the demo I was talking about in a different thread will definitely released with the FOnline engine.

I was also considering to set up some ftp server on my website (that will soon go online) to put up some art (3d models, textures, music, sound) that I want to share with other people who want to do indie games etc. - if someone here can link me to some cheap service I would really appreciate it (kinda low on money right now) - it would only benefit others as I don't charge anything besides my name in the credits for the stuff I share.

Furthermore, I'll invite some people who have volunteered in the past to help me on item descriptions, lore etc. to some private conversation through the forum here so I can post stuff that I need etc. The Brazilian Slaughter for example already provided me with lots of good stuff on this.

When I am finished rendering some new assets I worked on the last months sporadically and visually upgrade some stuff on the maps and edit dialogues, I'll also send a link to the demo here. I was previously only sending it to some testers over on moddb.com but got nonsense comments about totally irrellevant stuff (romances ahoi!) there. So it's a much better idea to just publically share the link here, like Vault Dweller did with Age of Decadence - a really good idea imo.

Feels kinda good to be back on track. :)

Oh and anus_pounder - I don't know why you brofisted 25+ posts of mine in such a short time, but thank you. :D

Destroid

Arcane
Dropbox does free hosting of whatever content you want up to 2gb. You can also do various things (like be a student) to get more space, up to 8gb or so for free.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Unfortunately the raw models and textures go way beyond the 2gb mark, I usually do full HD shots when I go out making textures for example, easily going up to 6 mb per picture. Same with the audio files. I rather have large files I can always downscale than smaller files I need to mask when I do texturing etc.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Oh alright, good to know. Looking forward to this. Admittedly I'm a bit drunk on FO having just finished another run of 1 a few days ago. ;)

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I've been going through my dialogues lately to handle typos, correct some sentences and so on and I noticed it can be quite boring to always stare at the same screen during lengthy dialogues, that has been bugging me in the original Fallout too. So I thought, one could make context sensitive dialogue screens, to have some visual alterations every now and then.

For example this using the terminals in the train station:

adkjubk.gif

Ofcourse it's just graphics, do you think it would be worth to create more of these different appearances depending where the player is in, or not? Ofcourse it has to fit to the rest of the UI and the theme of the map too.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Some kind of concept I did a while ago for some junkyard/nightclub mixture.

da9jpqu.png

I eventually scrapped the design because it reminded me too much of Junktown/Gizmos etc.

Destroid

Arcane
Only you can decide if it's worth the time to do those custom interfaces, but it looks very nice.

Your game looks visually stunning. I just hope you finish it, and make the other parts good and interesting too (like gameplay, dialogue, combat, C&C etc.). About the custom interfaces, yes it brings atmosphere, but, if it will take too much time, or burn you out for working on the game, don't do them too much. But it does look very nice indeed. :incline:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Hey Surf, I've heard you're getting back on track, need any more material? Hit my inbox if you need anymore stuff!

:bro:

I'm in actually a need of some minor descriptions for armor items (military/police issue) that haven't been there in Fallout 1/2 etc. Will drop you a PM over the course of the week! :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom