Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WRATH: Aeon of Ruin - new Quake engine game from 3D Realms

Heretic

Cipher
Two things to keep in mind with regards to the IGN/Gamespot footage:

- This is an early level that was made easier/more linear for showcase purposes, it's not exactly representative of how this level will be in the final game
- The people playing the game in these never played it before, so they naturally play it slower than someone who knows the game, the game is in fact quite fast paced
Then record one of you playing an unpussified level.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Graphics are cool.

Gameplay seems... Ok.

Not many types of enemies shown, but the ones that are there are lame. Kinda worrying, as the enemies in the Ion Maiden demo are generally lame as well.

Weapons look and sound nice. Just get rid of that acid thrower, that one's gay af and reminds too much of non-shooters like Unreal.

geno

Savant
MODDB interview:
Earlier this week, 3D Realms Entertainments announced WRATH: Aeon of Ruin, a new first-person shooter built using the original Quake engine. One of the most interesting aspects of the announcement, other than the seemingly huge task of transforming a classic engine for use with modern systems and tools, was the fact that the developer has turned to the Quake modding scene for help with the game, marking a true collaboration between developers and modders who are aligned to a similar classic, Quake-inspired vision.

We spoke to 3D Realms' VP Frederik Schreiber to find out more about this collaboration.

ModDB: This isn't 3D Realms' first project using an old engine, with Ion Maiden also in the works with Build. There's some fantastic dev diaries detailing new tricks that studio has implemented with Build, and I'm wondering if you have similar tricks or techniques you can reveal that you're employing with the Quake engine for Wrath?

Schreiber: Absolutely! The Quake Engine has its own set of unique challenges. Not only are we now working in 3 dimensions (compared to the Build Engine, which is not "True" 3D), the levels are also much more complex and larger than previously. We're going to dive deep into our technical approaches with Wrath in a series of Dev.Blogs, similar to those you've read from Ion Maiden.

How did you arrive at the decision to create Wrath with the help of Quake modding scene luminaries?

First of all, working with the Voidpoint crew on Ion Maiden, has been a great experience. Utilizing the best of the best, from the modding scene of that particular engine, was a wise choice for us. For the next 3D Realms game, we wanted to take the next step, and develop a game using the Quake engine. Full 3D. For this, we started with the same approach. We wanted to find some of the best Quake scene modders and mappers to join the project. After all, they know the engine and workflow in and out. While doing this, we stumbled across KillPixel, who was working on his own project alongside a friend of his. The project looked very promising, so we decided to reach out and learn more about it. Shortly after, we decided to fund the project, and extend the team from 2 to 25. And here we are! Wrath has now been revealed to the world, and we couldn't be more excited!

"We wanted to find some of the best Quake scene modders and mappers to join the project"

How did you select particular modders to bring into the project? What kind of portfolio of modding work did the team find impressive, and subsequently, what skills did you focus on looking for considering the game's use of the Quake engine?

The selection process was first and foremost based on a priority list of everyone KillPixel and I knew from the Quake mapping and modding scene, which we believed could add a ton of value to the game. Some had great portfolios to back up their experience in the Quake scene, and others were new to Quake, but showed a ton of passion and promise. We followed our reachout with individual interviews to get a better idea of their background, both in mapping/modding and personal.

Lastly, some of our higher priority hires, started right away, while others were given Test-Assignments, so we could evaluate how well they would work with the rest of the team, how feedback would be received and implemented, and how well each hire works with planned deadlines.

We've seen excellent modern editing tools made for old engines such as Trenchbroom - is the team employing any particular new tools that have been made by the modding community?

We're using both NetRadiant and a special modified version of Trenchbroom. We're so lucky to have SleepwalkR (Trenchbroom developer) on our team, so there are a range of tools the mappers use. We're also doing some pretty crazy and custom code for the consoles version of the game, which we'll most definitely dive into in a dev.blog as well.

"We're also doing some pretty crazy and custom code for the consoles version of the game"
The Quake mod scene is interesting because a strong template for good Quake levels existed in the primary content created for the base game by id Software for modders to reference and explore. With Wrath, those modders are now creating this game's primary content. What kind of direction and references were they directed to explore, and how much of their own style and signature design can be seen in Wrath's levels?

First of all, Wrath is very different from Quake. So it's a really good question. While Wrath does have similarities such as movement and air control, the way the combat flows, the types of puzzles, environments and general features we have in the game, are all very different. In order for designers to dive into mapping for Wrath, we gave them extensive documentation on all of the features of the game, so they had some context to work within. The maps are turning out great!

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
ICYMI, Wrath is playable at PAX East in Boston this week-end! You'll also be able to witness a life-sized replica of the game's shotgun.

geno

Savant
Wrath: Aeon of Ruin is a great mixture of old and new

Before Wrath: Aeon of Ruin was announced, Destructoid's CJ had teased me by saying, "This game has you written all over it." I was very intrigued, but CJ is a man of his word and did not break embargo. Even when I was speculating about the tease from 3D Realms' Twitter account, he didn't budge. Then the curtains were pulled back and I was floored. CJ knows me well.

What more can I add to his lengthy preview of the game, though? While CJ is a fan of old-school shooters, he hasn't played them as extensively as me. While other kids were digging into platformers, sports games, and action titles, I was spending my time toiling away at corridors in Doom. I begged my mom for my own PC just so I could have free reign to play all kinds of crazy shooters as a kid. Since I've been playing them for nearly 20 years, I think I have a good grasp on what makes a first-person shooter solid. Wrath is solid and could be the sequel to Hexen we've all been waiting for.

As mentioned in our preview, Wrath is going more for a metroidvania vibe. There are three hub worlds that have around five levels each. Progression through these worlds isn't entirely linear, so you'll be able to find upgrades in one level that you'll then take into another level. From the start, you'll able to select level one or two and plow through that to unlock the next three in that hub.

wrath_002-noscale.jpg

The design of these levels feels like something straight out of Turok. Forget what you know about Quake, because Wrath doesn't feel like it. The game has speed, an awesome arsenal, and some creative enemies, but the flow is very much the polar opposite of id Software's mega-hit. You'll be progressing through the levels in a much more concerted fashion, skimming the walls for hidden doors and checking each cranny for keys and items.

I suppose that isn't what everyone wants, but I was a decent enough fan of Hexen to find this setup intriguing. I also think it's a great balance considering New Blood Interactive just released DUSK, which is basically Quake with all of the fat trimmed. Trying to ape that title isn't going to happen, so why not sculpt your own vision of retro FPS goodness?

The weapons feel like a mash-up of all the FPS kings. There's a grenade launcher type weapon that feels like a mixture between Unreal's flak cannon and bio-rifle, a vampire fang launcher that is basically Quake's nail gun, and a shotgun with a wonderful risk/reward styled alternate charge blast. It's great to finally have a use for the right mouse button again instead of simply having ADS (aim down sights).

wrath_001-noscale.jpg

Since this demo was the same one CJ previewed earlier, I didn't get a look at any different enemy types. What I can say is that a lot of archetypes are represented here. There are the standard cannon fodder zombie foes, annoying ass flying bastards, and hulking brutes that will charge straight for you. The mix-up comes from the artifacts system, which could be comparable to items from Hexen. These grant temporary buffs to the player from invincibility (at the cost of reducing your health) to enemy health drain.

If you're pretty skilled, you can completely ignore these, but they also might just help you out of a tight spot. I got to the end of the level without digging into the invincibility artifacts, but then was able to bust out two in a row to clear the room with ease. That element of weighing the odds and stocking up your supply will surely lead to some clutch moments where you’re passing by the skin of your teeth.

In a particularly brutal move, Wrath does not have unlimited quick-saves. That artifact system comes into play here with you needing to utilize a specific rune to make a quick-save. Run out of those runes and you're stuck progressing through large portions of the level without a safety net. Since this demo was the second level of the game, I didn't think quick-saves were even necessary, but this mechanic should prevent players from save scumming through tough moments.

wrath_004-noscale.jpg

More importantly, it changes how you approach combat scenarios. Quake was all about tight corridors and reckless abandon, but Wrath is about open exploration and weapon mastery. The shotgun's secondary fire takes a few seconds to shoot off, so you will not be running headfirst into crowds and instantly blowing them all away. These tweaks give Wrath an identity all of its own, even if it is borrowing the tech from Quake.

I walked away from the demo very impressed. I don't think this will be my new favorite, but I'm happy that developers are starting to realize that not every shooter needs to be all action all the time. There once was a period where these games asked you to learn how their mechanics worked and how their levels flowed. Wrath captures that beautifully.

Regarding the release date, 3D Realms' Vice President Frederik Schreiber told me that they are planning for August with episode one. Despite having the "early access" moniker (which I was told was due to Steam policy), episode one will be a finalish build of the game. 3D Realms is likening this to the old shareware model, just with a price tag. Schreiber stressed that nothing from that build would feel incomplete or sloppy.

Episode two and three will be coming out at some point in 2020 with versions available for PC, PS4, Xbox One, and Switch. You can either pre-order the game on Steam to receive episode one when it's ready, or wait for the final version. Whatever your course of action, Wrath is one to keep your eye on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Full playthrough of the demo level we saw only snippets of before

The armblade lunge move looks like an essential part of your movement, so I gotta wonder whether there will be a quick melee button for it so you don't have to manually swap between weapons each time.
Also that running zombie scream sure isn't going to be grating on your ears the more you hear it...

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
That's the scream my mother made the first time she caught me skipping school.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Man, that new expansion pack for Turok looks great!

geno

Savant
WRATH NEWS! KillPixel: “Hello everyone, I have an update for you all. The summer 'taste' of WRATH has been slightly delayed, but for good reason. We've decided what we originally planned to release was simply too small, and with just a bit more time we could make it bigger and better. The new version has much more content (more enemies, levels, features, etc) and it's awesome. I apologize for the delay but I promise it will be worth it! The day of WRATH is near. -Jeremiah 'killpixel' Fox” TL;DR: WRATH is turning out better than we hoped for, so we’re making the first “taste” better as well. It’s well worth the wait! Meanwhile, behold: THE INVADER
image0.jpg

Ash

Arcane
Don't let me down. This better be good.

I don't see much innovation (I'm absolutely sure there's some), but I don't care. I always said only when we get the gameplay and overall design quality back, only then will I give a fuck about getting back good ole design innovation too.

Jezal_k23

Game looks excellent but anyway, that does sound a bit like early acess-speak.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom