Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WTF?! Hammer & Sickle 2/5 at Gamespy?

Whipporowill

Erudite
According to what I've heard from our russian friends, I certainly wasn't expecting such a beating for H&S. Considering they gave Silent Storm a 4 and a pretty much rave review. Either it's down to the "wrong guy reviewing it" - as it doesn't mention any specifics about the series, or that it simply put stinks.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/hammer-sickle/672687p1.html

Still, Hammer & Sickle is one of those "if only" games: if only the RPG elements had been fully developed; if only the game world were larger; if only the combat were smoother and not slow as molasses; if only the A.I. were stronger; if only the bugs and general sloppiness had been worked out. Hammer & Sickle has some nice ideas, but feels more like a rough draft of a game than a finished product.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Hehe.

Anyway, if that review is accurate, it's a pretty big blow to me. It was just about all I could seen in the horizon for decent RPGs in the 1st half of next year.

The disappointments just keep coming. Next it'll turn out that the rumor of Bioshock having a publisher will be false :(

obediah

Erudite
I guess I'll have to wait to see for sure..but I have noticed more and more reviewers "venting" on low budget titles.

It's like the get sick of overlooking all the problems in their adreviewments that when a game comes through that they can criticize, they go ballistic. You can read too reviews and from the body it sounds like the games are solid 7s, but the EA movie-tie-in gets a 9.5 and the european devel release gets a 5.

Whipporowill

Erudite
To begin with, it's not the same reviewer as the one that did the Silent Storm review, and the reviewer seems oblivious to any prior game in the series, as far as I saw. Also, I've already seen reactions to the review where a lot of people having played the game are basically scoffing at the rating. No need to give up on it yet, especially if the other games are to our liking.

Zomg

Arbiter
I'm also looking forward to H&S. I'm hoping this is partly a guy that can't handle poor localization (which I can basically chalk up to authenticity), although the technical problems (loading time, slow off-turn time, pathing) are bad news.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Ouch. I'm really suprised by the crappy rating. I'm hoping this guy is just an ass since i really want to like this RPG.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Some of those complaints apply to the original Silent Storm too. Some-what nonsensical story. Annoying issues like Civilian "allies" taking up turns to do all of nothing...

Shagnak

Shagadelic
DarkUnderlord said:
Some of those complaints apply to the original Silent Storm too. Some-what nonsensical story. Annoying issues like Civilian "allies" taking up turns to do all of nothing...
And he complains about the "tedious" combat.
To me, this means it might still have potential.
Mind you, I've only ever played the SS demo.

Balor

Arcane
Ok, it's coming from a guy (me) who completed the game in original language, so I cannot say anything about quality of translation and voiceovers (in Russian storyline and writing is superb, and voice acting is good, even surprisingly good - usually, Russian games do not excel in this area).
So, review of this review:

" The potential of Hammer & Sickle is obvious, but much of the game is muddled, sloppy, and terribly tedious. It's also very short, with few missions to complete or areas to explore."

First and foremost:
The game is NOT short. It CAN be short, but only if you'll rush the game to the 'poor' ending, so, right you are, the game will be short.
Yet, it is about the same as claiming that the game is short because you stepped on the mine, died and give up after the first minute of playing!
The game is VERY nonlinear, and you can complete the game at the very least 2 times while seeing completely different things.
I, unfortunately, due to my, ahem, personal problems haven’t beaten it more then one time, YET I've completed it with one of 'better' ways (and it wasn’t short) and I've seen players talking of quests and locations not simply completed different way as I completed them - but something I've never seen altogether!
Completely different events and storyline progression!
It lacks 'freeform' gameplay elements, but it's an incarnation of Nonlinearity, heh.

"So far, so good, but any game touting itself as an RPG better have a strong story and rich game world, and Hammer & Sickle is a mess where that's concerned. You play as a Russian commando in 1949, sent into British- and American-occupied western Germany as the Cold War starts to heat up. That's a premise rife with promise, but the story, such as it is, meanders without any sense of pacing or direction -- or even coherence half the time. It's not always immediately clear what you're supposed to be doing or why you should care. Characters and concepts seem to pop up only to be forgotten. It's hard to believe this is a real place or to care about any of the people."

No, it means that reviewer is a total dumb asshole with zero attention span (or, perhaps, something was terribly messed up during translation, see above).
The game internal logic is nigh flawless - especially having in mind its unprecedented nonlinearity.
Yet, you have to behave and think like a spy to get the most out of this game.
Means report to your command, hide incriminating evidence, don't laze around - time is VERY important, yet don't 'run&gun' - it's not Serious Sam, for Satan's sake!
And this game allows you to play a role not just in traditional way like 'slay with spell, sword or stealth'... oh, I mean, 'gun, grenade or stealth or whatever' - your actions and inactions defy what challenges you'll meet and where storyline will go.
The game challenges player to THINK what to do next, to really play the role of a spy on the enemy territory, not give you an equivalent of a shopping list, so you can run around, buying stuff... I mean, completing quests.
Anyone doubts that reviewer is dumb bastard by now?

" You don't truly get to plan where you want to go or what you want to do, but instead you usually get shunted from one little area to another after scripted events open up mini-missions like wiping out some local bandits or attacking a convoy. You might get to return to previously visited areas, but there's often no compelling reason to, other than perhaps to buy and sell loot."

Now, I think, all doubts are dispelled. He wants to have a neat list of things to do. And perhaps, like in Doom or Quake, game being laid out like a corridor where it's physically impossible to get lost or stray from the prescripted path. Moron.
And btw, there is a LOT of moments in the game where you have to return to already visited areas to progress your storyline. No wonder that this jerk found it 'incoherent'.

About AI: Well, I found it even better then in SS and SS:S, so anyone who found SS remotely enjoyable will not be disappointed.
Same goes for combat.
Yes, it's turn-based and rather slow, but there is a slider that can speed up animations, and I have NOT found it to be boring, instead, it was better then in SS, cause it is more challenging.
Yea, it often comes to numbers, but either this guy never played game before, or simply never realizes that AI, for now, unfortunately, stands for 'artificial idiot' and will inevitably lose to player intelligence... and, in the long run, it’s his ultimate purpose, heh.

About 'long load times":
I highly suspect that this idiot cannot keep his computer in semi-decent shape (if he cannot find his way in a game w/o a list of things to do... in fact, there is one, it's just not as obvious as one in Oblivion. Perhaps, for some, it's a major flaw :roll:.), and notice his RAM. 512 megs. FTW? Even dirt poor Chinese students must have at least a gig of ram right now, if they hope to play modern games with FPS above single digits!
And with poor memory and swap file management, it is more then possible the game was snail-slow on his system.
It was 'flying' on mine, and I have WORSE system specs (well, not by much, yet...), but I have a gig of RAM. And I keep it tidy and clean.

"Still, Hammer & Sickle is one of those "if only" games: if only the RPG elements had been fully developed; if only the game world were larger; if only the combat were smoother and not slow as molasses; if only the A.I. were stronger; if only the bugs and general sloppiness had been worked out. Hammer & Sickle has some nice ideas, but feels more like a rough draft of a game than a finished product."

If only the reviewer was not a moron with zero attention span and cognitive abilities of concussed mollusk, I'd give this review 5 out of 5.

But I rate this review 0 out of 100
Notice that he noted how 'kewl graphix and physix' are. Well, they are, indeed, but it's one of LESS important parts of the game, that's for sure.
There a lot of games with 'kewl graphix'.
Yet, I've yet to see games there are as detailed and nonlinear as Hammer & Sickle.
Oh, and notice it’s not ‘classical’ RPG in the strict sense. It’s a tactical RPG, more akin to games like Jagged Alliance.
Yet, its RPG elements put many other ‘classical RPG wannabes’ to shame, that’s for sure.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Whipporowill said:
Also, I've already seen reactions to the review where a lot of people having played the game are basically scoffing at the rating.
Where? I couldn't find a topic on the forums, the link in the review only pointed to the forums rather than a specific topic as well.

I did however find an entertaining thread about the Gothic 2 review.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Thanks Balor, my anticipation for the game remains unless i find out that the translation is really bad.

Reviews 3 months before a release is kind of jumping the gun too, isn't it?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I thought Silent Storm's voices were pretty good, if that's any comfort. Well, most of them. Some, like the "Texan" solder, were just awful and silly.

Balor

Arcane
Alpha:Antiterror?

Well, when it was released, all reviewers were laughing their arses off at it being very aptly named - meaning, it was so bug-ridden, underdeveloped and user-unfriendly, it easily can be qualified as alpha, indeed :).
To emphasize it, it was usually called "Beta:Antiterror" :).
However, some people do like it... yet, when you want a really good game, try Brigade E5 (when it'll come out abroad). It does not have kewl graphics and physics, yet it beats Alpha hands down when it comes to gameplay, it's a proven fact.
Well, E5 had it's share of bugs when it was released, but since it didn't force the play to replay each mission from beginning after each failure (yes, no saves for you in unpatched game), they were not as jarring.
On the other hand, after a lot of patches (huge patches, btw) were released for Alpha, so it must be in much better state by now, and I heard something of an expasion, so, perhaps, it will be playable and enjoyable by more then a bunch of not simply hardcore, but mega-hardcore people, with patience of a Buddha :)
Have not played it myself, though.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
So they still didn't fix the annoying issue of allies/neutrals taking time during turns? Damn it. That was one of the biggest reasons why I couldn't stomach the previous games. There should be an option to skip viewing the enemy/ally/neutral movements. Waiting 5-10 minutes for the enemy to make its move while you make your move in 20 seconds isn't very appealing.

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
Let's face it: clever, interesting, PC centric games are becoming too challenging for reviewers that enjoy themselves with console games.

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
Didn't gayspy give 4.something out of 5 to Doom 3?
If that's the case, you can very well wipe your ass with the review.

Moggs

Liturgist
Yeah, I too am giving little credence to this review. Both Silent Storm and Sentinels were a lot of fun (though I stopped playing SS when the PKs became a regular feature), so I have hopes for this too.

Balor

Arcane
Well, fortunately (or unfortunately :)), you'll not be battling with help a lot, and if you will, you will NOT see them as unnesessary hindrance. In fact, they can save our ass more then once.

Well, I've played on nearly 'hard' setting (custom 2.8 or somethign, so much as I recall), so I wecomed any help I could get.
And for civvies... well, unless you will want to take out a sity - you'll hardly meet a lot of densely populated areas.
And, remember, there is a slider that speeds up animations.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I stopped playing SS when the Panzerkleins appeared, too. And the laser guns. That just kinda took the fun out of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom