Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

WTF - Obsidian and inXile acquired by Microsoft

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Wunderbar, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Big Wrangle Scholar

Big Wrangle
    Guess "independant bad" will be the popular opinion soon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I'm sure getting bought out was Fargo's holy grail!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    I am thrilled that man responsible for Rail Nomad Camp can now dedicate 100% of his time to game design.

Thrilled.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. mustawd. Arcane

mustawd.
    This actually makes me wonder if Game Pass games will have in-app purchases.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Bohr Erudite

Bohr
    Now comes the real renaissance, not that laughable indie KS thing :salute:

• Funny Funny x 12
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Viata Arcane

Viata
    I don't even care about the RPG Renaissance. Fuck this shit. Every 4 years we have an "rpg renaissance" where they release only shit rpgs, so fuck Brian Fargo. :rage:

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  7. Ulfhednar Learned

Ulfhednar
    Brian Fargo implies he is to Gamepass what the Coen Brothers are to Netflix.

Cast Iron armor for Wasteland 3 confirmed!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. TT1 Erudite Patron

TT1
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Do you think its possible that Obsidian is going back to work on Stormlands?

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    Nope, they already made Tyranny out of it and gave it away.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. ColonelTeacup Learned

ColonelTeacup
    It's amazing. I expect nothing from Josh, and yet he continues to disappoint me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. TemplarGR Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

TemplarGR
    I have a mancrush for Josh, he has made only great games i have been enjoying for decades, plus he has great taste in video games himself and is not afraid of a couple of faggots who are going to criticize him for it...

Skyrim is one of the best RPGs ever made, it is only proper that one of the greatest CRPG designers of all time played it... Deal with it butthurt brigade!

• retadred x 4
    • decline x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. anvi Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Illiterate Village Idiot Possibly Retarded

anvi
    Microsoft were a good part of gaming for a while, Midtown Madness, Ascheron's Call, etc. They invested in an MMO that could have been amazing but they ditched all PC gaming when the Xbox was decided and have barely done anything since then. They made Xbox into what it is today. Then said they want to return to PC gaming soon. I would guess they bought some companies that were cheap yet had good staff, they will use that staff to make something that will probably be good.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Age of Empires. Age of Mythology.

Microshite had a few good ones. And then they came up with MW4 and things went downhill fast.

^ Top  
  14. anvi Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Illiterate Village Idiot Possibly Retarded

anvi
    Age of Empires is back too, a new game coming soon. I want them to make an MMO that changes the whole genre because it needed to happen a long time ago but nobody else has the money to do it.

^ Top  
  15. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    AoE 3 was not as good, IIRC. It was set in the Americas. I think they were running out of ideas. I'd love another AoM, though. The single player campaign was good.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    How do you run out of ideas given the series ethos? I wish they'd done a small hop from the Middle Ages into Renaissance/pike and shot instead of trying to do the 18th Century.

Even then, I found the campaign terrible after the awesome semi-historical ones in the first two games. I mean, the way AoEs campaigns went, something like the 80 Years' War centered around narrating the quest of William of Orange, then Maurice and finally Frederick Henry practically writes itself.

Instead of jumping around from war to war, we get some odd storyline about the Fountain of Youth and Russians invading North America through Alaska with a Tsar cannon, as if it was a Europa Universalis RTS that gave no fucks about logistics and attrition.

The latter was the worst and I practically stopped the game then and there.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Considering that they did the Spanish conquest of the Aztecs in AoE2, revisiting that for AoE3 using AoE3 stuff would have been something that you'd think was pretty automatic, but...

^ Top  
  18. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    Especially considering how base building with fortifications goes perfectly well with siege dominated warfare in that period.

^ Top  
  19. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Bloody depressing how much of a missed opportunity that was, but still, if they do a better AoM, which had by far the best SP campaign of the lot, I'd be happy to buy it even if it is Microshite.

^ Top  
  20. anvi Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Illiterate Village Idiot Possibly Retarded

anvi
    I didn't like any of them much. AoE3 especially because I hated the small maps. For RTS I only play Supreme Commander series or a few of the C&C games. But gaming in general is so bad that it leaves so much scope to make big improvements.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)