Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News WTF - Pillars of Eternity II is apparently getting a turn-based mode

Sentinel

Arcane
Temple of Elemental Evil's concurrent turns option.
There are folks who will say that's still not good enough because of the combat animations, and there's still quite a few long battles in there on account of the numbers. It took me over an hour to kill the balor.
It was a rebuttal to your "no one ever addresses it" comment. The concurrent turns, regardless of if "it's good enough", was an attempt to address that problem.

Puteo

Learned
because it seems most of them assume that turn-based combat is an inherently amazing feature

IT SURE IS, YOU FUCK!
REMEMBER BATTLE BROTHERS, YOU INSIPID MOTHERFUCKER
I WILL KILL YOU
HAPPY HOLIDAYS, CHEERS

An RTwP game is bad forever but a turn-based game is not automatically good, it just has the potential to be good.

The decades of failed XCom clones before we managed to reach the over-simplified above-average mediocrity of nuxcom and the semi-competent imitation of Xenonauts can attest to that.

DeepOcean

Arcane
As they are fixing the game with TB mode, could they re do the world building, the story, the quests and the characters while they are at it? Maybe it wont suck after those fixes.

All of you who have your party hats on should settle down. PoE was designed inside-and-out as RTwP--by Josh Sawyer no less. It's not going to be easy to translate all of those details into turn based. Classes like the Cipher and Chanter in particular are probably going to be royally screwed up. Lets also remember that garbage-in = garbage out. Making PoE bland and dissatisfying mechanics move slowly in a turn based setting isn't a positive.

Elex

Arbiter
Codex:
Obsidian suck. Why they didn't make PoE2 turn-based?

Also Codex:
Obsidian suck. Why are they making PoE2 turn-based?
too little too late.
they must rebalance the game from zero and redo all the combat encouter from zero.

Deleted Member 22431

Codex:
Obsidian suck. Why they didn't make PoE2 turn-based?

Also Codex:
Obsidian suck. Why are they making PoE2 turn-based?
You either make a turn-based game from scratch or you don't. Trying to force a turn-based mode on a RTwP game is just dumb. It's going to be terrible. I can't wait to see the disappointment. But then again, this is the Codex, the Obsidian fan club. Some posters here swear that White March is not filled with trash mobs. They will use any excuse to fantasize in their own dream world.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
you people are really dumb

because no one asked, why? :)

because it seems most of them assume that turn-based combat is an inherently amazing feature that will make poe2 (or, indeed, poe fucking 1) a masterpiece
I do not think TB will suddenly turn Deadfire into a masterpiece, but I do think TB will tone down some of the magic bullshit. Having two characters capable of casting empowered minolleta's concussive missiles is/was fucking stupid. In my mind, TB mode provides "upper level" creatures and encounters more of a chance against the player.

Ideally, it will break up the monotony of some of the late game encounters, because enemy creatures actually have the opportunity to cast/buff/attack, etc.

Deleted Member 22431

I do not think TB will suddenly turn Deadfire into a masterpiece, but I do think TB will tone down some of the magic bullshit. Having two characters capable of casting empowered minolleta's concussive missiles is/was fucking stupid. In my mind, TB mode provides "upper level" creatures and encounters more of a chance against the player.

Ideally, it will break up the monotony of some of the late game encounters, because enemy creatures actually have the opportunity to cast/buff/attack, etc.
Thinking about this subject made me realize that RTwP indeed has an advantage over a turn-based system. It allows you to use your skills and spells really fast, thus hiding all the flaws inherent in a bad combat system. If you implement the turn-based instead, it’s as if you removed the illusion that made that chore bearable. You will be able to see for yourself how poorly thought and superficial everything is.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
You either make a turn-based game from scratch or you don't. Trying to force a turn-based mode on a RTwP game is just dumb. It's going to be terrible. I can't wait to see the disappointment. But then again, this is the Codex, the Obsidian fan club. Some posters here swear that White March is not filled with trash mobs. They will use any excuse to fantasize in their own dream world.
I disagree. If TB mode is considered an improvement over base PoE/PoE2 combat, then there will be momentum to include it in later titles, PoE or not. I do not know if PoE3 will happen, but if it does, I would like a turn-base option from the start.

Thinking about this subject made me realize that RTwP indeed has an advantage over turn-based system. It allows you to use your skills and spells really fast, thus hiding all the flaws inherent in a bad combat system. If you implement the turn-based instead, it’s as if you removed the illusion that made that chore bearable. You will be able to see for yourself how poorly thought and superficial everything is.

You make it seem like a bad thing. If TB proves once and for all that the game is objectively flawed, does that not create a good cautionary tale for developers?

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Darth Roxor is right, the game is definitely not designed for TB combat, unless they rework how health and damage scale it will take battles very long time. Even now with fast movement and combat some battles take long time. Encounters must be reworked to be actually challenging, as the only way to lose now is not paying attention and don't pause to issue appropriate commands. Ability durations also will need rework or re-balancing. How will they do the weapons and armour recovery speeds? More attacks per turn for fast ones? To make it right they have to do a lot of work for a game that it seems didn't do that well. It will look like a bad design if the two systems have big differences and compromises must be done to not confuse people how the combat works. It's not fun to constantly check how stuff work and judging by the first Pillars (haven't played 2 yet) the documentation of the mechanics was very poor or out right missing (attack speed and recovery time), so I'm not that optimistic on that front too.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 22431

In other words, they need to design a decent combat system along with the turn-based system, which is not going to happen.

drgames

Scholar
But why implement a Turn-Based system at this point? The game lost its momentum months ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom