Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information X-COM: UFO Defense Retrospective Video

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tags: Tacticular Cancer; Xcom; XCOM: Ufo Defense

Resident uber-contributer sser has created a retrospective video of a sort, focused on the development of the original X-COM and the process it took to get it to markets.

Other videos focusing on future games in the series are expected in the near future.

Read the full article: X-COM: UFO Defense Development Video

sser

Arcane
Developer
Here's the article:

KUp0Upr.jpg

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Not bad. There are actually retrospective interviews that go more into detail about the beginning of the project and the cancellation phase, but unfortunately in print format.

The key thing in this case (as is with many games), is that the great game we get in the end is more of a result of several lucky coincidences. It is the evil publisher's "senseless" demands that actually made the game what it is, as Gollops vision for the game was rather narrow.

Also, the limited development time proved to be more of a blessing for the game. With all the respect for Gollops, some of their own ideas are simply stupid. Expanded interception, for example, would've not added anything of value to the game. X-Com: Apocalypse is a good example of what happens when you have a bigger budget but don't have all those luck coincidences.

Gollops post-UFO games prove that no matter how talented programmer or designer you are, a great game requires a combined effort of multiple people that can't really be repeated consistently.

sser

Arcane
Developer
IMO, an expanded interception element is the only thing missing from the X-Com formula. Gollop's first idea was to have a Star Wars-esque hallway shootout, IIRC. That fundamental idea essentially made it into the game with the singular, up-down movement of the UFO on the interception screen, you're just not in control. Julian - ostensibly - seemed to understand that an air war element was needed. I wouldn't criticize his ideas as "stupid" when the concept itself was handled by him the whole way down the pipeline; we're just looking at the author's scratchpad. Xenonauts is the only "X-Com-esque" game that has taken any real steps to developing a compelling air war. I'm still kinda amazed that the new XCOM not only didn't really even try, but amidst all the 3D and snazzy production values was actually worse than the original. I have a lot of ideas about the 'air war' aspect of X-Com and its spinoffs but suffice it to say I think everyone has done it wrong thus far.

I hope I didn't portray Microprose as evil or with senseless ideas. The Gollops seemed extremely open minded to any suggestions. Of course, they kinda had to be. I didn't include it in the video, but they had a number of other publishers lined up. They wanted Microprose and if I was to hazard a guess it was because they knew Microprose turn a game like Laser Squad into something bigger. But yeah, games that still get played decades later are definitely once in a lifetime kind of things. After X-Com... dunno. IMO, Laser Squad Nemesis and Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars are both really good games... even if nobody played them :lol:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Microprose wasn't being evil with their demands, but I wouldn't call it conscious strategic decision-making either. Based on the interviews I've read, it was more of a spur of the moment kind of a thing. But usually great things all come from such.

Unfortunately the modern AAA development has very much eliminated such risks from the picture. While "design by committee" produces fewer spectacular failures, it also kills the rare miracles of luck.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nice video, bros. The number of views is somewhat depressing, though. Maybe you should do some marketing, post it on reddit or something.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Nice video, bros. The number of views is somewhat depressing, though. Maybe you should do some marketing, post it on reddit or something.

Eh, not really worried about views. If it gets out there it gets out there. Right now I just want to get better at making videos.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Interesting.

I'd like to remind people that adding a strategic layer to a tactical game is a good way to create game addiction, which is a pretty bad thing.

Thanks God the interception minigame didn't make it in.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Interception is the one thing I think the X-Com/XCOM formula needs to expand on. So much is made of the air war only for its actual mechanics to be grossly simplistic. Obviously the idea back then was kinda lame, but its current implementation is still not very good, IMO.

7h30n

Augur
Some critique on the video of sser

Don't leave errors in the video.
It seems like you did a lot of improvising and creating sentences out of notes, I think you should have the whole script planned including the pauses and points for improvisation. This should create a smoother flow and prevent all the awkward pauses and repeats/searches of articles before nouns etc.
Regarding the footage capture, I presume you couldn't record Open X-Com at fullscreen so you opted for windowed, in that case you should hide the Windows tray panel and maybe also remove the borders of a window.

Gozma

Arcane
Interception is the one thing I think the X-Com/XCOM formula needs to expand on. So much is made of the air war only for its actual mechanics to be grossly simplistic. Obviously the idea back then was kinda lame, but its current implementation is still not very good, IMO.

Are there any super-groggy fighter plane engagement board wargames a video game could dumb down? Have two different robust tactical layers would be interesting.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
It needs a raffle IMHO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom