Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-Rebirth

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
One small step on the slippery slope towards simulated sexual situations with smooth-skinned sultry space sluts and their shapely - sorry, got carried away there.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Here's an example of something "fresh," folks:

We want to make the game easier to understand by controlling many of the complex things you can do in an X game through conversations.

Instead of dry and hard-to-interpret text menus, you will be talking to people. You will give them commands and they will tell you about their progress - all in the form of conversations.

:lol:

This BioWarean monstrosity is what adddeed is defending, in case you aren't familiar with the actual particulars of Stillbirth. "Reading is teh hard, so we'll simplify it with CONVERSATIONS!".
Nothing wrong with adding NPCs and conversation. They were going for a more immersive experience, not the excel spreadsheets that were the predecessors.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
"Try and make something fresh," you say, but what of substance was added? In what way was any of it fresh? More neon on the space stations? Actual cockpit graphics? Man, that's revolutionary as HELL. Guess you told me! Best of luck actually explaining this baseless claim.
Did you even play the game? It played, looked, felt, entirely different than X1/2/3.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I feel bad for this company. They need to learn to go viral. They make good space games for 100 years and nobody buys them, then Elite:Faggotry comes along and millions of people buy it even though it is total trash.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I feel bad for this company. They need to learn to go viral. They make good space games for 100 years and nobody buys them, then Elite:Faggotry comes along and millions of people buy it even though it is total trash.
They deserved it. Stillbirth was worse than Hitler and aids combined. Literally!, as the millennials would say when they mean something figuratively.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Did you even play the game? It played, looked, felt, entirely different than X1/2/3.

I'm never going to buy Stillbirth, but I have watched a few hours' worth of Let's Plays, most lately this week as I was curious to see what's changed in Rebirth 4.0. Mind you, it's extraordinarily rare that I watch Let's Plays. Additionally I am aware of the game's feature list and I've perused people's threads and posts on the EGOSOFT forums.

Don't go full retard on me here and suggest that I can't possibly know until I try it.

It's BLATANTLY OBVIOUS what EGOSOFT were going for: They wanted to cash in on some of that Mass Effect magic and console megabux. Gee, guys, what does the X series need? How can we make it FRESH and NEW? I know! Let's add extensive and amateurish voice acting, focus heavily on plot and story (which has always been by far our weakest area, so clearly that should be our emphasis), add an annoying female copilot with gigantic tits who never shuts the fuck up, and... drumroll, please... NPCs with FUCKING DIALOGUE WHEELS! People can walk around on stations and shit too, in an extremely shallow way and for the sole purpose of showing off our EXCITING NEW NPC MODELS! HELL yeah! X: Rebirth is a next-gen pissbloom HD experience, and it's gonna make us rich!

0578892BA640964C10E437A1222F9BBD09FC0902

Yeah, it's pretty much like this.

There's nothing fresh or new about any of this. The game is essentially wrapped in a giant stillborn fetus skin. The Skunk is the only player-piloted ship in part because the game is balanced solely around it, but also because they just had to have an interior, even though it's tiny and not that great. They could hardly be expected to design dozens of interiors, or even eight or twelve, could they? After all, they were already spending all of their time and manpower on designing their EPIC, STORY-DRIVEN, CONVERSATION-BASED NEXT-GEN BROWNBLOOM ULTRA-HD CONSOLE EXPERIENCE.

Meanwhile, I'm reading threads right now full of people complaining that fighters in Rebirth 4.0 are way too expensive, are way too fragile especially given the cost, that there isn't even a proper fucking carrier to carry them, that they can't follow you when you use jumpdrive either, and that you're better off using drones instead.

Fuck off, retard.

The X series will NEVER sell millions, although it did sell hundreds of thousands of copies, so you'd think the small development team would be satisfied given how niche their product is. X games are complex, have a huge learning curve, are exceptionally user-unfriendly, are full of bugs for years after release, and remain full of quirks and annoyances forever even when almost all of the bugs have been squashed.

EGOSOFT did try to go viral, by releasing an EPIC, STORY-DRIVEN, CONVERSATION-BASED NEXT-GEN BROWNBLOOM ULTRA-HD CONSOLE EXPERIENCE, but failed miserably at doing what everyone else was doing because that's not what they're actually good at. Not everyone can be the fucking Beatles, even when they try their hardest to sell out.

Thane Solus

Arcane
Perkel take your brother outside he might be
possibly_retarded.png

The only good thing that X Rebirth did, is to have some nice effects, a decent cockpit and epic space vistas/backgrounds. Thats it, the rest absolute garbage because:

1) The most retarded UI and functionality ever made by man which destroys 70% of the game
2) The wannabe walk in stations which is horrible
3) Lost everything that was good in the past Xs and removed it
4) Only one ship to control...
6) The most annoying and retarded voice overs
7) Those humanoid models
8) Everything else

Its like some biotard mixed with a zenimax tard toke the worse designers and programmers from egosoft and made this abdomination.

Its PERFECT!

X3 TC or AP its a masterpiece compared to this.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
1) The most retarded UI and functionality ever made by man which destroys 70% of the game

Speaking of which, not everything changed, was dumbed down, or was removed in Stillbirth. No, some things stayed the same.

Guess what stayed the same? Here's a hint: It was a thing added in TC that absolutely no one liked, that everyone hated and complained about, but that EGOSOFT stubbornly refused to rework in any way until modders came along and fixed it.

That's right... I'm talking about THE FUCKING SIDEBAR.

df8e3801e3.png

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The most damning thing of all though is that EGOSOFT have yet to fix the retarded autopilot and NPC pathfinding AI, even in Stillbirth and even at the very end of Stillbirth's life cycle:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=393878

It seems they eventually gave up and just disabled collision damage altogether, except for the Skunk. Meanwhile, modders have (mostly) done what EGOSOFT are incapable of doing and fixed it in AP:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=295405

Results and tests I ran
Here's some test results from only some of the countless tests I ran. Enemy ships with no weapons.

6 Phoenix Vs. 300 Jaguar
Bounce off: 300 losses
Bounce on: 1 loss (one to a North Gate, and one to a Jaguar)

2 Titan Vs. 30 Hydra
Bounce off: 4 losses
Bounce on: 0 losses

1 Megalodon Vs. 200 Buster
Bounce off: 123 losses

30 Panther Vs. 30 Shrike
Bounce off: 1 loss

30 Titan Vs. 30 Titan
Bounce off: 0 loss (Oddly)

30 Shark Vs. 160 Mamba
Bounce off: 92 losses

30 Shark Vs. 160 Elite
Bounce off: 34 losses

The Jaguar results are my favorite. 300/300 Jaguars lost from bumping and crashing into the enemy ship and each other until they exploded, but a modder was able to get that number down to 1 loss.

Thane Solus

Arcane
The most damning thing of all though is that EGOSOFT have yet to fix the retarded autopilot and NPC pathfinding AI, even in Stillbirth and even at the very end of Stillbirth's life cycle:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=393878

It seems they eventually gave up and just disabled collision damage altogether, except for the Skunk. Meanwhile, modders have (mostly) done what EGOSOFT are incapable of doing and fixed it in AP:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=295405

The Jaguar results are my favorite. 300/300 Jaguars lost from bumping and crashing into the enemy ship and each other until they exploded, but a modder was able to get that number down to 1 loss.

Without bounce mod, high end game in X3 is unplayable. Big ship crashes or just fuck around and small ships went kamikaze (FUCK YOU EGOSOFT YOU PIECE OF SHIT PROGRAMMERS!) I still had problems with big ships, will see how the new version goes. I have a friend programmer that works on a homeworld alike game, man the pathfinding and collision ONE programmer made, its incredible. But he is actually is a good programmer with experience and knows math and geometry in space...

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It seems the X universe is pulling me in again, thanks to Factorio 0.15 being delayed for at least a month.

I switched to the Terran Commander start, immediately sold off the Katana of course, bought and tuned up a Valkyrie, ran the gauntlet through enemy Argon space to PTNI Headquarters (those gate camps... what is this, EVE Online? I had to shoot down or outrun so many missiles), bought and sold Energy Sells for a tiny profit to get a little bit of Teladi rank, and finally squatted for a while whoring out the corporate stock exchange to turn 7m credits into 12m credits, though sadly you only get trading rank from the corporate exchange (using SETA, which any purist would consider cheating, but they can blow me because I've done all this shit before).

Now the game actually begins. I think I'll swap the Valkyrie for a Kestrel master race at the shipyard. After I've explored a bunch of sectors and pooped out dozens of advanced satellites, I'll probably do a bunch of taxi runs to build credits and rep, then get the sector traders going.

I've never been enemies with the Argon before, and those faggots are pretty much everywhere, so I may need to go through the obnoxious process of blasting Xenon or whatever in one of their sectors.

If there's a mod that entirely disables collision in-system, I'm installing it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
They deserved it. Stillbirth was worse than Hitler and aids combined. Literally!, as the millennials would say when they mean something figuratively.
Well yeah I am sure that game sucks, but they only got to that point because they have no money.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
They had plenty of money. Even if each copy of X3 (and its iterations) sold for only $15 on average, they made many millions from it, minus Deep Silver's and Steam's cuts. While it's difficult to tell how many full- and part-time employees and contractors they have on staff, it's fairly safe to assume they're a small company.

If they needed the money that badly, then logically they'd be out of business by now, because Stillbirth sold far worse than their last game.

No, they weren't out of money; they just wanted the big money, and big money means simplifying, cross-developing for consoles, and dunking your old niche fans into the rubbish bin. It didn't work out for them.

Now that they've had their failed experiment with selling out, hopefully X4 will retain the small minority of good features in Stillbirth, ditch the rest, restore the old complexities of the proper X series, work out a lot of the kinks they never managed to work out pre-Stillbirth, and iterate the good features in a positive way by making them more expansive and versatile but simultaneously less clunky.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Nah they are clearly broke, and spend their entire time on the line of bankruptcy. There are lots of game devs out there just like that. A few hundred thousand sales is nothing in gaming, even a staff of 20 people, just the wages alone for that is well over half a million a year, and it takes at least 3 years to make a game. "Stillbirth" is stillbirth because they have no money, why else would they release such a buggy under developed piece of crap? Developing for consoles and dumbing down is what they should have done long ago, maybe then they could have had a game with the appeal of Elite Dangerous for the average gamer. But even if they did all that they still wouldn't have made good money because they don't get all over the gaming press like Elite does.

Whine all you want but you are never going to get a deep and complex space game with the tiny budgets this company has. Also their games are not even close to being complex, there are a million things I want to do which you can't do in any of their games even with mods. EVE is where you have to go for that, and that game has made good money.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

I'm never going to buy Stillbirth, but I have watched a few hours' worth of Let's Plays, most lately this week as I was curious to see what's changed in Rebirth 4.0. Mind you, it's extraordinarily rare that I watch Let's Plays. Additionally I am aware of the game's feature list and I've perused people's threads and posts on the EGOSOFT forums.
Ha, and you have the nerve to come here and argue with me. What a dumbfuk. Please just get the hell ouf of his thread, because anything you sau or post is completely useless and irrelevant. What a clown.

Cant believe im wasting energy with idiots who havent even played the thing.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
EVE is where you have to go for that, and that game has made good money.

Yeah, I played EVE from 2006-2012 (for years I thought I remembered starting in 2007, but the other day I found an account registration email dated 2006).

EVE has a ton of complexity, but the problem is that the actual mechanics are crap in most cases. I doubt you'll find anyone with a grain of sense arguing against the fact that the best part of EVE is small-gang PvP. The big-news scandals, betrayals, and high-profile power bloc warfare are cool, but for the actual participants they're usually just tedious and/or annoying. Mining, industry, trading (what little is available), fighting NPCs, and all the rest of it just isn't all that great.

But the PvP and all the complexities it entails is pretty great. Good luck establishing your own empire in EVE without thousands of players at your side.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Perkel take your brother outside he might be
possibly_retarded.png

The only good thing that X Rebirth did, is to have some nice effects, a decent cockpit and epic space vistas/backgrounds. Thats it, the rest absolute garbage because:

Nope. Previous games had even worse UI, but you learn to use it and then it becomes easy.

2) The wannabe walk in stations which is horrible
Nope, as i said, they tried something new. It isn't perfect of course.

3) Lost everything that was good in the past Xs and removed it
They removed stuff, and added stuff. Dont see a problem here.

4) Only one ship to control...
Yes, like XBTF. Sure id love to control more, but im not going to get butthurt about it.

6) The most annoying and retarded voice overs
Yes like, all their previous titles. Nothing new here.

7) Those humanoid models
Its a small studio, building a huge game with a brand new engine. I dont expect Crysis level of fidelity here, especially in a space game. Come on bro.

8) Everything else
Butthurt detected.

X3 TC or AP its a masterpiece compared to this.
Nope, they have plenty of problems and shortcomings.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

t.
Ha, and you have the nerve to come here and argue with me. What a dumbfuk. Please just get the hell ouf of his thread, because anything you sau or post is completely useless and irrelevant. What a clown.

Jesus Christ, you're dumb. I knew without even having to see beforehand that you're so incredibly fucking stupid you'd insist I have to pay EGOSOFT money for Stillbirth before daring to criticize it. Why would I do that to myself?

Meanwhile, I'm not arguing with you, because you've presented no arguments. You've only made baseless statements, and have refused to back them up in any way or to address the relatively straightforward arguments I've made. Put up or fuck off, you absolute squealing child of a fanboy.

Maybe you should start by describing, specifically, what revolutionary new features they've added to take the game in a FRESH and NEW direction?

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Why are you still here and posting? Im not describing shit for you. Next time make sure to have played a game before going in a thread trying to discuss it like a bozo.

A fresh and new direction for you is to click the close button on this thread and never come back.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
No, but you need to play before coming here trying to discuss anything. Game may or not be shit, but shitstains like you cant come and tell me that when you've only read about it. What a bunch of retards.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
No, but you need to play before coming here trying to discuss anything. Game may or not be shit, but shitstains like you cant come and tell me that when you've only read about it. What a bunch of retards.

By your logic, you have played the game extensively and are qualified to describe Stillbirth's innovative features—the ones you claim were intended to take the series it in a FRESH and NEW direction.

Yet you haven't, instead making only general and vague assertions which you refuse to substantiate, while lashing out using the exact same language as the average fanboy in the Steam review comments for some shit game... which also applies to Stillbirth, come to think of it.

If "THE UI IS BETTER THAN X3's!" is the most extensive argument you can produce (and so far, it assuredly has been), then it's very clear you know this game is trash but continue to defend it anyway, shying away from getting into specifics because you know that I'll tear you a new asshole if you ever try.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom