Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-Rebirth

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Urmom sucks. But very poorly due to her mouth being all saggy from years of black dongs.

X Stillbirth is the worst game ever made. Yes, worse than Night Trap.

The rest of the series is great and still pretty much the only single player space freedom game/economic sim out there in the modern era.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
TCAN (TC Coloured Automatic Naming) is one of the most sophisticated mods I've ever seen, although obnoxious and time-consuming to learn. It can automatically tag ships with a plethora of "aspects" using customizable strings of expressions based on the ship's class, model name, intended purpose, constructing faction, armament, cargo, type of AI pilot and related skill level, shield and hull levels, homebase, wing, etc. Tags can be customized, colored, bracketed, spaced, and rearranged nearly at will; groups of ships can be sequentially named automatically; and random proper unique names can be generated also, either individually or with a random name for each ship in a group.

It was too much for me, as I'm only midway through the game (entire universe explored, most race ranks maxed [enemies with Argon, Xenon, and pirates], 190m credits in the bank, small fleet including a TL, M7C, several M6s, several TP/TMs, and various fighters and scouts; plot finished, Xenon Hub and PHQ acquired). I installed the less-powerful but still versatile RSwE instead, mainly so that I can color-code ships by purpose:

ec78b7288f.png

Legend: Command (important/personal ships) | Navy | Police (not shown) | Scout | Logistics | Industry | Station

I also found a mod that restores Kha'ak ships to UFJD sectors in AP, so that I can capture them and their weapons and missiles. None of them can be reverse-engineered, manufactured, or purchased.

Thane Solus

Arcane
TCAN (TC Coloured Automatic Naming) is one of the most sophisticated mods I've ever seen, although obnoxious and time-consuming to learn. It can automatically tag ships with a plethora of "aspects" using customizable strings of expressions based on the ship's class, model name, intended purpose, constructing faction, armament, cargo, type of AI pilot and related skill level, shield and hull levels, homebase, wing, etc. Tags can be customized, colored, bracketed, spaced, and rearranged nearly at will; groups of ships can be sequentially named automatically; and random proper unique names can be generated also, either individually or with a random name for each ship in a group.

It was too much for me, as I'm only midway through the game (entire universe explored, most race ranks maxed [enemies with Argon, Xenon, and pirates], 190m credits in the bank, small fleet including a TL, M7C, several M6s, several TP/TMs, and various fighters and scouts; plot finished, Xenon Hub and PHQ acquired). I installed the less-powerful but still versatile RSwE instead, mainly so that I can color-code ships by purpose:

ec78b7288f.png

Legend: Command (important/personal ships) | Navy | Police (not shown) | Scout | Logistics | Industry | Station

I also found a mod that restores Kha'ak ships to UFJD sectors in AP, so that I can capture them and their weapons and missiles. None of them can be reverse-engineered, manufactured, or purchased.

The UI is from the same mod? or derivation of that UI mod thingy

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
So what's the verdict? Does this series suck?

Its mediocre, but certain mods can make it good, see x3 AP with mods.

I wouldn't say that it's mediocre per se. It's more complicated than that.

I'd instead say that it's an extreme mix of remarkably complex and powerful features alongside boneheaded (or incompetent) design decisions and less-than-ideal implementations.

There is no other spaceship game in existence that allows you to do something as simple and exciting as flying a fighter in a dogfight or trading simple wares to make a buck, but also scales up right up to commanding multiple battle fleets remotely; capturing enemy ships with your own strategies and boarding parties of trained marines or mercenaries; organizing logistics fleets with any of several types of special, trainable AI pilots; constructing your own empire of factory production complexes comprised of stations that you purchase, deploy in 3D space from a megafreighter, and assemble yourself; supplying your battle lines (with energy, missiles, replacements, etc.); and all sorts of related factory, logistics, and even battle fleet automation.

Mods definitely help to address many of the game's weaknesses, such as Litcube's Bounce for pathfinding AI, and add features that greatly enhance the game, such as UI mods, hotkey mods, Artificial Life mods, complex cleaner mods, etc.; and companion programs like Scorp's 3D Map or the Xadrian complex calculator.

For the most part, you can do whatever you want, and the more familiar you are with the game and the greater your ability to multitask and micromanage, the greater your empire can potentially be.

Raapys

Arcane
The X series suffers from lack of ambition and poor implementation. It was impressive in the first couple of games I think, back in 2000, but instead of continuing to build on what they had, they just stagnated. 17 years of development later and there's not really many new features or ideas to speak of.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Are you insane? The leap from X to X2 was YUGE. The original game from 1999 had only one pilotable ship. A tiny universe in comparison (like 12 systems).

Remotely managing factories was impossible, you had to dock. Freighters could not be controlled by remote except from inside the factory in a roundabout way. No jumpdrive (although with such a small number of systems not really needed, the SETA boost extension worked well enough.)

Sounds kind of familiar, right?

Well no, it was nowhere near as shit as Stillbirth.

Raapys

Arcane
Are you insane? The leap from X to X2 was YUGE. The original game from 1999 had only one pilotable ship. A tiny universe in comparison (like 12 systems).

Remotely managing factories was impossible, you had to dock. Freighters could not be controlled by remote except from inside the factory in a roundabout way. No jumpdrive (although with such a small number of systems not really needed, the SETA boost extension worked well enough.)
Been a while since I played it, but as I recall these changes didn't appear in X2 but in X-Tension, the expansion for the original.

Which is kinda insane when you think about it. The expansion had a development cycle of 1 year and they managed to add all that. 17 years later and the only real new shit we've gotten is a jump drive and some misc.

Last edited:

Mustawd

Been looking to try this, as i never played any games from the series. Good discussion .

I'll post my impressioms when I play it. Any must have mods for X Rebirth?

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Been looking to try this, as i never played any games from the series. Good discussion .

Check the official forums, but you can just play as it is and look for mods afterwards. Let us know your thoughts after playing.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Boring shit. Don't waste your time...

Check the official forums, but you can just play as it is and look for mods afterwards. Let us know your thoughts after playing.

LOL this dickhead dares to suggest I like shitty games when he likes Space Paint Drying Simulator....Can't make this shit up! :lol:

To quote Zarniwoop:

Who the fuck's alt are you?

Dildolos, mah nigga. No-one else could possibly shill this much for shitgames.

Ive been a member since 1999 and have played through each of their games. Rebirth is good fun. Deal with it. Or play X3 or whatever.

And no Rebirth is not wasted energy, as I am sure they will incorporate many things from it to X4, including the engine most likely.

Give it a try it's not free! :lol:

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I certainly encourage people to pirate it and find out for themselves.

Let us know when you get tired of being yammered at by shitty voice actors.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Does the demo offer a proper sampling of the rich, complex gameplay and conversing that Rebirth has to offer, though?

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

Boring shit. Don't waste your time...

LOL this dickhead dares to suggest I like shitty games when he likes Space Paint Drying Simulator....Can't make this shit up! :lol:

To quote Zarniwoop:

Who the fuck's alt are you?

Dildolos, mah nigga. No-one else could possibly shill this much for shitgames.

Ive been a member since 1999 and have played through each of their games. Rebirth is good fun. Deal with it. Or play X3 or whatever.

And no Rebirth is not wasted energy, as I am sure they will incorporate many things from it to X4, including the engine most likely.

Give it a try it's not free! :lol:
Another retard post by our resident retard. Probably also hasnt played the game. Too many dumbfuks round here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom