Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X2 - F.U.! (An X2 - The Threat Opinion)

Spazmo

Erudite
Psilon said:
*Why we won't get the so dearly desired FS3 or even an FS2 expansion to finish the storyline*

I think I summed that up rather neatly by saying "HERVE".

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
So, this game, is it like MW in space? Pretty but without substance?

Spazmo

Erudite
The substance is there--there's even a rudimentary dialogue system. It's better than Morrowind's search engine dialog, but it's still not much since your responses don't make a difference. It's more of an excuse not to do voiceovers for the main character. Besides that, it's a tremendous game and you can run around trading, building corporations and build a whole fleet and such, but... I don't really want to. I just don't feel any real drive to go on in the game, plotwise or the freeform stuff. In that respect, it actually is like Morrowind.

I think what really kills the game, though, is the lack of a match speed button. Dogfighting is an immense pain if you keep crashing into the other guy.

Psilon

Erudite
No "match speed" button? X-Wing had that! So did the other X-Wing games, Tachyon: The Fringe, the Wing Commander series, and the FreeSpace games.

What possible reason could they have for not including that?

EEVIAC

Erudite
It hit a sweet spot for me after about a week and I had a lot of fun with it for a while. Then I just got bored again. I had been driving myself to buy a Corvette-Class ship for ages but eventually the steam ran out on that dream. I haven't touched it since. I got good value for money out of the game though.

A lot of people seem to enjoy the empire-building aspect of it, but somehwere in my quick disenchantment with the game I realized I really didn't want an empire. I've mentioned before that my favourite part of any RPG is that transition between not being able to do anything, and becoming quite capable (read : low level adventuring.) After I get past that I get bored and start thinking about restarting the game.

Ibbz

Augur
I'm very disappointed with the combat in this game. It's sad that i find it quicker and easier to simply smash enemy ships against my carrier's hull rather than having the turret's try and shoot them down.

I'd say if your into trading in flight sims, you'll probably love this. For the combat junkie's, this game aint the best.

However, StarShatter - which should be released soon, looks like its gonna be sweet. Being able to select what sort of physics you want to play with is a huge plus, not to mention the dynamic campaigns. :)
www.starshatter.com

Flink

Liturgist
I'm thinking about getting this game as well. I kinda liked X - Beyond the Frontier. Is it a true sequel? For example, are the controlles similar to the one's in X1? or are they completely revamped?

I quite agree about Freespace2. I want to know what happened to Admiral Bosch damn it! Yet another reason to hate Interplay... Seriously, Freespace 2 was freakin awsome. Probably the best game I've ever played. Right up there with Fallout vying for first place. Is there any hope that the licence can be picked up by someone else? Kind of funny that the game company that made the two best games ever (IMO.) is now going down the toilet, huh? :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom