Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X4: Foundations - Mount and Blade with space-ships. Now with significant Beta update

Perkel

Arcane
https://www.egosoft.com/games/x4/info_en.php

https://af.gog.com/game/x4_foundations?as=1649904300

Tomorrow @ 15 CEST Egosoft will shot for first time X4 sequel to X3.

Official Twich channel where they will show somethign about X4

After X-rebirth stillbirth that tried to casualise X franchize to console masses (but it failed to release on consoles lol due to shitty performance) Egosoft is going back to their roots.

What we can expect:
- X-rebirth engine but not DX9 like it used to be but based on Vulcan. Should be fast. X-Rebirth was looking nice but run like dogshit.
- Focus on empire building instead of garbage story.
- No longer one-ship. X-Stillbirth vanishes along with its design and Ego will give you want X fans wanted. Every ship to man yourself from small to superbig.
- De-retarded UI. X-rebirth had few UI patches where they deretarded A LOT UI from its consolization but pad was still center piece. This time it should be at minimum x3 style.
- Highways system from X-Rebirth will be gone. Or it will be massively redone. Concept was interesting but it is hard use it and prone to bugs so Ego had to fake a lot of stuff (like most of trafic in it). I don't think Gate system will be back too.
- X-Rebirth stations aka best thing from X-rebirth will be back and expanded.
- small and mid sized ships. X-rebirth had those only for enemy ships and Ego patched in small sized ones year later, still after patching they were basically after thought. This time like in rest of X games you will have ability to manage everything from small m5 ships to juggernauts M7s
- All on foot stuff will be gone.
- No cockpits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Perkel

Arcane
from small m5 ships to juggernauts M7s
- No cockpits.

Decline!

Have you played X-rebirth ? or X game at all ? On foot stuff was pure garbage, cockpits are nice but they limit amount ships you can fly. In X games you can fly ANYTHING that can fly including carriers and shit. So while cockpits for all ships would be wet dream for me but it is unrealistic to assume every ship will get cockpit.

M7 was just a point. Obviosly M2 also will be in.

Perkel

Arcane
stream started but so far nothing on it interesting. Just bunch of people hanging out.

Morkar Left

from small m5 ships to juggernauts M7s
- No cockpits.

Decline!

Have you played X-rebirth ? or X game at all ? On foot stuff was pure garbage, cockpits are nice but they limit amount ships you can fly. In X games you can fly ANYTHING that can fly including carriers and shit. So while cockpits for all ships would be wet dream for me but it is unrealistic to assume every ship will get cockpit.

- Instead of improving the on foot stuff they skip it (and making any experience earned in that field void btw)
- different cockpits were a thing in all former x games and were they were missing the community fixed them back in. Instead of keeping cockpits they skip it now again (and making the 3d cockpits null and void). And that with E:D (and Star Citizen) around showing a shit load of different cockpits
- M7 just a point? Why just a point? Either they changed the numbers around or you won't be able to fly M1/M2

EDIT: NEVERMIND, announcement seems very promising :bounce:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Get rekt Egosoft. Go suck some more casul cock.

You know what they say: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you can't get fooled again.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

X2 had cockpits AND you could fly anything.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Watched the stream, it actually doesn't look to bad.
Here, have my compiled notes in an unsorted spoiler, i might write this down properly tomorrow, don't have the time today:

x4 foundations
more dynamic ai
fly every fucking SHIP, bombers, carriers, etc

horribly looking/animated NPCs

supply-demand based economy now includes ships and factories
First person experience, you can walk around in ships and outside of them (looks sorta meh atm)

NPC managment: if you want to take over a place in the ship (eg from a pilot, just click on the relevant NPC inside)
traderoute stuff and fleet managment via the map
probably can "teleport" into other ships via a click, not sure if there is a range limit on that

stations are now built piece by piece from a central core as you like
(individual pieces, bernd compares it to lego)
Living sections, production pieces etc pp

"physics based rendering", Vulkan as rendering (fucking finally, hopefully better performance)

Questions to Bernd:
starts with some gameplay
different starts available (merchant etc)
no loading interruption between sections
NPC look hillariously bad, reminds me of X2 ingame video sequences on stations
Plot is more like Albion Prelude/Terran Conflixt, less like X2/3/Rebirth

Flying around seems pretty fluid, bernd is surprised himself that its running rather well
Bernd called it "viking engine", probably an error on his side, X Rebirth VR is basically a testbed for the engine, but still using rebirth asset

Presentation shows flying around in an Argo Nova (small ship, only you and a co-pilot in there), flying around in 193 m/s.
Mentions they are trying to implement roll-stearing like in Elite Dangerous

"adaptive steering" : ship figures out itself what type roll/steering is best used with it and the input changes based on what you do.

Loading times seem pretty fast
New map using tiles to represent sectors
Addmits that organically grown interface is scary for new gamers, you can do "more" stuff now on it with less of a hassle. eg, easy trading and attacking

"Argon Prime" sector is in the game

Wants to properly bring "level design" into the space combat => eg you can destroy the jumpdrive of a capital ship (taken from rebirth)

On rebirth: "we screwed up many things"

Argon Cerberus docked with 4 novas shown on the map

Map as a gateway into the game for new players, with a lot of filterable information (showing best offers etc)
Map interface giving you a feel for the time it takes ships to get where they need to.

Teleportation: (needs to be unlocked => research) limited range first, bigger range later as you develop it further. You can only teleport to your own ships

highway streams are in the game and so are the jump gates

Xenon are in the Game (Xenon P encountered)

Peregrine is back
If you configure a ship (engines, turrets etc), its shown on the outside of the ship

Bernd still doesn't undestand the appeal in flying Capital ship, but they added it nontheless because Community wanted it.
Stations are not part of exploration, ususally only walk around inside for missions

THey don't know about Linux porting yet, he can't promise it and it depends on other people: read financial effort
Not sure if Borons will be in the game due to the way they behave.
No VR support at the beginning because they think you need a totally completely interface (doubt, sorta works in Elite Derperus)
NPCs adressing economic shortages themselves
Stations can be completely destroyed again
each gamestart has a unique mini-plot, but most big plots are playable with every gamestart
Mod support in

Perkel

Arcane
Just watched it whole.

Got damn EGOSOFT you beautiful bastards. X4 looks like proper sequel to X3 and from looks of it they took their lessons from X-rebirth and X3.

- proper management. In x3 you had some, in X-rebirth almost none but here it seems like they build a lot of ui around it.
- map is glorious. You can do everything from map point of view for empire.
- all ships flyable and they will have cockpits (probably simple ones but still better than nothing)
- on foot gameplay is expanded with ships cockpits. So you can land on your cap ship and change ship on foot.
- NPC system. Unlike X3 and following X-rebirth eveything will be based on NPC you hire. So unlike like X3 you need to buy ship AND hire pilot to fly it. X-rebirth had it but it was to simple and skills of pilots management manager etc didn't make much difference.
- Vulcan, PBR and new planetary tech so they can generate quickly huge universe (without landing on planets ofc). It really look fucking lovely and kind of shows a point why procedural planets can't beat static ones.
- From initial info probably no campaign. IT will be pure sandbox. IMO best change every. No one cared about story of X games.
- Unlike X3 and X-rebirth whole universe is sandbox and developers do not set up "borders" so your gameworld can look completely different in next 20 hours as various factions fight each other. So universe will be dynamic.
- unlike X3 and Xr station and ships also follow demand economy. So imo this means you will be able to properly fuck some faction to point where it doesn't exist.

Perkel

Arcane
Watched the stream, it actually doesn't look to bad.
Here, have my compiled notes in an unsorted spoiler, i might write this down properly tomorrow, don't have the time today:

x4 foundations
more dynamic ai
fly every fucking SHIP, bombers, carriers, etc

horribly looking/animated NPCs

supply-demand based economy now includes ships and factories
First person experience, you can walk around in ships and outside of them (looks sorta meh atm)

NPC managment: if you want to take over a place in the ship (eg from a pilot, just click on the relevant NPC inside)
traderoute stuff and fleet managment via the map
probably can "teleport" into other ships via a click, not sure if there is a range limit on that

stations are now built piece by piece from a central core as you like
(individual pieces, bernd compares it to lego)
Living sections, production pieces etc pp

"physics based rendering", Vulkan as rendering (fucking finally, hopefully better performance)

Questions to Bernd:
starts with some gameplay
different starts available (merchant etc)
no loading interruption between sections
NPC look hillariously bad, reminds me of X2 ingame video sequences on stations
Plot is more like Albion Prelude/Terran Conflixt, less like X2/3/Rebirth

Flying around seems pretty fluid, bernd is surprised himself that its running rather well
Bernd called it "viking engine", probably an error on his side, X Rebirth VR is basically a testbed for the engine, but still using rebirth asset

Presentation shows flying around in an Argo Nova (small ship, only you and a co-pilot in there), flying around in 193 m/s.
Mentions they are trying to implement roll-stearing like in Elite Dangerous

"adaptive steering" : ship figures out itself what type roll/steering is best used with it and the input changes based on what you do.

Loading times seem pretty fast
New map using tiles to represent sectors
Addmits that organically grown interface is scary for new gamers, you can do "more" stuff now on it with less of a hassle. eg, easy trading and attacking

"Argon Prime" sector is in the game

Wants to properly bring "level design" into the space combat => eg you can destroy the jumpdrive of a capital ship (taken from rebirth)

On rebirth: "we screwed up many things"

Argon Cerberus docked with 4 novas shown on the map

Map as a gateway into the game for new players, with a lot of filterable information (showing best offers etc)
Map interface giving you a feel for the time it takes ships to get where they need to.

Teleportation: (needs to be unlocked => research) limited range first, bigger range later as you develop it further. You can only teleport to your own ships

highway streams are in the game and so are the jump gates

Xenon are in the Game (Xenon P encountered)

Peregrine is back
If you configure a ship (engines, turrets etc), its shown on the outside of the ship

Bernd still doesn't undestand the appeal in flying Capital ship, but they added it nontheless because Community wanted it.
Stations are not part of exploration, ususally only walk around inside for missions

THey don't know about Linux porting yet, he can't promise it and it depends on other people: read financial effort
Not sure if Borons will be in the game due to the way they behave.
No VR support at the beginning because they think you need a totally completely interface (doubt, sorta works in Elite Derperus)
NPCs adressing economic shortages themselves
Stations can be completely destroyed again
each gamestart has a unique mini-plot, but most big plots are playable with every gamestart
Mod support in

Holy shit music to my ears. This seems like fans always wanted from X4.

Can't wait to buy some carrier and fly my own wings drop unto battle and carrier away.

Get rekt Egosoft. Go suck some more casul cock.

You know what they say: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you can't get fooled again.

X1-3 were great games. X-rebirth was fuckup and team seems to "get it" with how they aproach new X4.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I'm really hoping they will deliver this time.
Old X games really catered to a specific type of players, if they give those (us/me) something nice again, I'll be really happy.
I could do without the walking around and I'm really not sold on the crewmans whose place you have to take over (not sure how well this works during fast combat, mostlikely not at all), but those are minor complaints.
Give me back my glorious Split Ships, proper trading and exploration and I'm more than willing to throw money at them.

/edit:
Jesus, i forgot a really important thing in the Spoiler.

Releasedate is scheduled for 2018.
So, realistically early 2019 seems like a time where you can play.

Perkel

Arcane
Releasedate is scheduled for 2018.
So, realistically early 2019 seems like a time where you can play.

Oh fuck i missed 2018 rd plan. Oh man. I hope they will release it next year. My only space sim right now is basically X3AP with Xtended mod.

Tried elite. IT is nice combat game but anything other than that is shit. SC is years away and it won't be half of what X games are. And aside from that there isn't anything else.

Hopefully with X4 they will get some fat money and we will get X5 that will shame everyone else from all points.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Bah, they are making the same mistakes they did with rebirth and x3, doubling down on retarded stuff and wasting time adding half hassed "cool" things.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Holy shit music to my ears. This seems like fans always wanted from X4.

Can't wait to buy some carrier and fly my own wings drop unto battle and carrier away.

X1-3 were great games. X-rebirth was fuckup and team seems to "get it" with how they aproach new X4.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I have never seen a game series come back from konsoletardation. Quite the opposite usually.

Raapys

Arcane
New map design instead of old sectors sounds great. Research and ship upgrades(beyond X1-3's horrible 'adjust this slider here' thing) also sounds great. More thought put into AI, awesome. Vulkan freeing up some CPU resources for use with the actual gameplay simulation, another good thing. Non-Rebirth UI can only be better.

They are probably making quite a big mistake with the walking around aspect though. Seems to me a complete waste of time and resources given how bad it looks and plays. Either do it properly(and hire someone who knows what they're doing) or don't do it at all.

Thane Solus

Arcane
Well they conned Perkel with a few weird videos and announcements, did u preoder yet Perky?

Knowing how incompetent these guys are, i give 10% chance to be a decent game. Did you notice the Star Citizen vibes?:))) The walking should be removed, concentrate on cockpits, ships, dynamic universe, economy, and maybe they actually make a good collision system this time along with pathfinding and SO MUCH MORE...

Here we go again, cya on release, this is gona be epic :)))

Severian Silk

Germans make the most boring video games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Well they conned Perkel with a few weird videos and announcements, did u preoder yet Perky?

Knowing how incompetent these guys are, i give 10% chance to be a decent game. Did you notice the Star Citizen vibes?:))) The walking should be removed, concentrate on cockpits, ships, dynamic universe, economy, and maybe they actually make a good collision system this time along with pathfinding and SO MUCH MORE...

Here we go again, cya on release, this is gona be epic :)))
Can't wait for Perkele's massive denial/coping when this inevitably turns out to be shit console decline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom