Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X4: Foundations - Mount and Blade with space-ships. Now with significant Beta update

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Sounds.. playable and quite similar to X3.Is that what it is a reskinned x3 ?
That's what it looks like.

Personally, I didn't like X3. It was...boring.

Symptomatic of the same old space game design mistake of assuming the player just wants to ferry pools of meaningless numbers from identical location to identical location or to shoot X amount of identical NPCs with zero backstories. Only now it's made even worse because it also wants to be Rollercoaster Tycoon in space.

cw8

Cipher
Saw the Xenon and Khaak appear in one of the missions in the stream. Think that confirms that there is a campaign.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
We don't know. That overhyped millennial so so terribad at playing it, all we see is base walking and circle flying.

Oh and I can see they forgot to make a menu system or even pick a nice font. Everything is just plain development-style text.

Perkel

Arcane
Ok this stream is much much much much better. And you get far more info from them.

edit: first bug - dude tried to dock and undocked to quickly which caused his engines to not work
edit2: i will be updating general with thing i find in stream.

General:
- instead of looking at map and selecting you can just click on your radar to target things. neat.
- the map is fucking awesome. It is soo easy to read and useful.
- radio chatter ! You can hear what is going on on sector just by listening to radio. People will talk with eatch other, police will scan object and talk with scanned people and you can hear them saying drop the cargo ! to which dude says nope and they start fighting. really really cool feature as far as i see. You don't need to look at radar, you will hear people fighting.
- stations are now much more hassle free and logical. docks are fairly big but every other part is accessed by elevator and rooms are small so you don't need to walk big halls like in Xrebirth. I am also fairly sure this will give ego a way to make a lot more varied rooms in future because they won't need to spend a lot of time to make stuff.
- they upgraded A LOT human models, they don't look like clones of themselves all the time. Though i am sure they are not using any character creator so there are probaly a couple of models instead that swap.
- turrets seems to automatically pick up on missiles, i saw xenon turrets on m3 fighting of slow missiles with fairly good outcome.
- stations no longer annoy you when you deal small arms fire.
- people you talk with no longer have special lines of dialogs they just say greeting and that is all, you can hire them and you can see their stats from get go unlike X-rebirth which required retarded minigame.
- music is back to being great as in X3
- E:Dangerous style docking.
- customization is done in dock, you can even put up your own png and use it in game as logo for your ship/faction
- no assists mode like in E:Dangerous
- HOTAS support
- map groups stuff into one matric when you zoom out and divides when you zoom in. neat way to deal with a lot of info. So if you will zoom out it will average out price of for example energy cells for grouped stations. So you can quickly compare prices for different regions without dealing with best price locators and so on.

Ship modes:
- scanning mode - like in xrebirth scanning ships and stations, but unlike xrebirth ship and station is in one mode. Works similar to X-rebirth but you don't need to find information panels to scan part of stations just be close to that part. Like in X-rebirth you can find missions, trade deals etc via scanning mode but unlike X-rebirth you can find also blueprints to make stations parts etc. Looks way more logical because in that mode you are trying to get into someone information network and listen to their stuff rather than stupid point you fly around.
- travel mode - super-cruise ala Elite Dangerous
- SETA mode - once craft seta, time accelerator will be ship mode instead of some equipment.
- longrange scanner - unlike X-rebirth it goes to 300km and it is fairly useful to explore now. Old Xrebirth one was barely 30-40km. So if you fly in sector without hihways or any close stations you can use this mode to pick up signals and see what is where.

UI:
- it is very rough artwise but a lot more useful now
- made for monitors not consoles like x-rebirth a lot of info on screen

Graphics and perfomance:
- no crashes on both streams
- no visible bugs and glitches for now
- performance is a lot better than X-rebirth but still not really that great though it might be stream.

So far so good. Strangely i expect at any moment game breaking but so far it didn't happen even once.

I hope they revised button mapping for joystick/pad from X-rebirth.
In X3 i could map for example L1 + DpadUP for docking and at the same time using Hold DpadUp for changing missle type.
X-rebirth removed that and you could only map buttons to singular things, i fear they still didn't fix that.

So is it another boring X game ?

Yes. Star Shitizent would love to be as good as this game lD

Oh and I can see they forgot to make a menu system or even pick a nice font. Everything is just plain development-style text.

Yeah it is very clear this UI is still being worked at. Just a moth earlier there was no this fance radar and it looked exactly like in XRebirth.

Also since they go for general look something tells me that we will be able to edit UI with mods. In X3 this was already a thing but it required some work while in X-rebirth it was hard-coded garbage.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I watched some streams of gameplay. Does nothing to me, sorry. The planets look retarded and the lighting is like the whole game is taking place indoors.

Perkel

Arcane
edit: I thought UI is very poor art-wise but it surprisingly grew on me. Though i would love a bit different font.

Watched like 3 hours of him playing it.
So far i can say it is almost bug free.
1time docking glitched out which caused his engines to not work
2 times his ships kind of gone a little bit bellow landing zone when he tried to land but it "recovered" and laded ok.
Which means only landing right now is a bit buggy but everything else seems to work really well.

kingdom part is untested so far.

I like shop upgrade system, it changes visually when you get bigger engines etc.
Weapons seems to be working on unified mounting racks so unlike X3 i think you will be able to mount any gun you can find on any ship as long as it fits size of mounting rack. But that is only mine conjecture.

Missions seems to be autogenerated as you fly by instead of Xrebirth like system.
They are put on map and not connected to stations or some sort of BBS system.
So you can fly around and you will get mission about recovering parts from destroyed ship etc.
Didn't see much mission though.

Perkel

Arcane
As of worldspace and size of the world.
One sector is size of about dozen X3 sectors and about 2-3 times bigger than X:rebirth sectors.
Most of the time dude uses cruise mode to get around system which is fairly quick.
On cruise speed goes from 180m/s to around 2500m/s.
Both i think depend on ship and upgrades.

-------------------------

Cargo seems to be divided into 3 categories much like X:rebirth
personal inventory, cargo and upgrades
but unlike X:rebirth you can buy/sell cargo without trading ship
so it works much like in X3.

I also noticed that upgrade system is much more robust now compared to X:rebirth
which only had weapon upgrades. This time when you kill stuff or buy personal inventory items
you unlock new recipes for different stuff like cooling parts for engine etc.

lol when autopilot drove dude into asteroid it said: Autopilot critical fail.
I remember Xrebirth autopilot doing that but not excusing itself lol.

Bug or a feature ?

:smug::smug::smug:

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
First crash, he was docking it docked and then it crashed.
So so far docking is only thing that seems to be buggy.

edit: it saved when he landed before crash so he didn't lose a second.

All upgrade parts for ships need station equipment.
If stations doesn't have parts it won't be able to upgrade you ship.
You can though queue ship for upgrade and let it wait for station to be restocked.

You can use layouts to outfit your ships ! Fuck yeah.
This was like 1st thing people wanted from X4.
So if you have like 500 ships and you want to upgrade them you can set them up with layout.

Last edited:

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I am waiting for all of you guys to play the game for at least 8-12 hours before I buy it.

Perkel

Arcane
I like how they basically render whole this is space gta of star citizent hook null:

Scan space
Got a ping
Flies close to it
Seems like satelite/data structure
EVA in space suit
Repairs 3-4 panels
Gets into structure
Gets loot and money

Perkel

Arcane
Dude got some data link (separate from loot and money) from that thing and it didn't do anything.
Egosoft guy in chat said that this would add stuff to encyclopedia and it will be in game on release.

Talk about features getting into game day before release.

Perkel

Arcane
I'm not getting excited for this. Not after stillbirth.

It doesn't play anything like Stillbirth.
Also unlike Stillbirth looks to be polished on release (at least beta version he is playing)

Perkel

Arcane
WTF borons are actually in game !
Ego said they won't be. Though he met one boron on mission as mission contact.
And he was floating in water.

Raapys

Arcane
After 15 minutes of play:

- Menu UI looks terrible and parts of it is very clunky to use
- Flight UI obstructs too much of the screen
- At least in my ship(Explorer), cockpit obstructed too much of the screen. Fortunately, they did provide an option to hide cockpits.
- Docking is a mess
- AI pilot agrees docking is a mess and decides instead to just slowly drive through the floor of the docking compartment
- Another AI pilot disagrees and decides to drive through the guy driving through the floor.

Perkel

Arcane
Fucking jousticks. Why hotas need to be so expensive ? :/
I am looking right now at prices and they are fucking expensive.

as of UI i think the biggest negative is that it does seem a bit laggy at times.
It is not instant like it needs to rerender at that stuff instead of it being in background.

5GB downloaded 6 more to go.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom