Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X4: Foundations - Mount and Blade with space-ships. Now with significant Beta update

Perkel

Arcane
Watch video i posted in last 5 pages

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Sorry mate but i can't play with plastic thingy.
If you buy joystick for space game you need hotas and hotas are expansive.

There is no, and has never been a space sim which strictly required a HOTAS. HOTAS is for stuff like DCS F18 or A10C module, where precise throttle controls and a billion button mapping is essential.

But if someone wants a cheap, but decent HOTAS, I can recommend this, the Thrustmaster T 16000M. It doesn't have as many buttons and axis as a Thrustmaster Warthog, but it is enough for space games and it has a pretty good build quality, despite being plastic.
t16000mfcshotas_smart.jpg

Guess I hadn't gotten this far before I asked if this game worked with one.

This thing is great! Elite: Dangerous works flawlesslt with it. I was hoping for the same thing with X4. I'll wait on this one and see how it's patched before the winter sale.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Guys you don't even need to fly too far away from the first station to make money. I downed an enemy ship that had a piece of cargo that I sold for $100,000. I upgraded my ship engines, shield, and weapons in the first sector you start in. Basically help people out even when they don't ask for it.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Guys you don't even need to fly too far away from the first station to make money. I downed an enemy ship that had a piece of cargo that I sold for $100,000. I upgraded my ship engines, shield, and weapons in the first sector you start in. Basically help people out even when they don't ask for it.
The electronic thingamajig?

Where and how do you sell it???? I have 2.

Where do you sell any "crafting wares" for that matter?

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Land in a space station. Look for a building near those escalator thingies that has slopes into a flat pyramid and then you can sell to the guy there. It took me an hour to realise it was not scenery.

ZeniBot

Cipher
Finally got my frigate. This game just became awesome. I can captain picard my way through the game now. Number 1 Make me Free Money.
I really badly want a carrier.

One thing this game does better than any other is being able to sit on the roof of your ship and watch the stars go by. Very cool.

Perkel

Arcane
Hire someone else then and ignore him. It is 2000 not like you lost arm and leg.

Perkel

Arcane
X4 in steam sitting at 77% positive reviews and it is climbing.
It was 73% yesterday morning. First Ego game to hit 80% on release lol :D ?

Can you sent marines to board enemy ships?

If it is anything like X:rebirth and i think it is then yes.
You take marines, select ship and there should be "board command"
Once you use that command shitload of minipods will launch from your ship and attach themselves to enemy ship.
Once they are in they will spend time fighting crew and from time to time they will ask for help like destroying turrets etc to drive away part of defense etc.

They also have experience so don't expect to board capital ship left and right. You need to start small to give your crew ability to improve.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Finally got my frigate. This game just became awesome. I can captain picard my way through the game now. Number 1 Make me Free Money.
I really badly want a carrier.

One thing this game does better than any other is being able to sit on the roof of your ship and watch the stars go by. Very cool.

You will be badly disappointed. Carriers suck as personal ships. Imagine driving through an Italian village in an articulated truck. Or an oil tanker in a swimming pool.

They can't turn worth a shit, can't dock anywhere and move at a snail's pace (unless those were changed in X4) and constantly crash into EVERYTHING. They have their uses but usually that is to jump into a system you are not present in, swarm fighters, destroy everything and jump out. Or more likely as a mobile garage for all your pimped-out rides, that you will never send into battle because a single pimped-out M3 fighter costs millions to replace.

For personal ships, the M6 is where its at. Or, since X3:TC, the TM ships. Freighter-carriers that look like long versions of the normal freighters, with docking space for 2-3 fighters and a pretty big cargo bay.

And occasionally getting into an M2 (Destroyer) to destroy a pirate station or enemy capital ship.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
X4 in steam sitting at 77% positive reviews and it is climbing.
It was 73% yesterday morning. First Ego game to hit 80% on release lol :D ?

Can you sent marines to board enemy ships?

If it is anything like X:rebirth and i think it is then yes.
You take marines, select ship and there should be "board command"
Once you use that command shitload of minipods will launch from your ship and attach themselves to enemy ship.
Once they are in they will spend time fighting crew and from time to time they will ask for help like destroying turrets etc to drive away part of defense etc.

They also have experience so don't expect to board capital ship left and right. You need to start small to give your crew ability to improve.

Again, boarding has nothing to do with Stillbirth. It has been there since at least X2.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Yes.

It should be struck from the record as if it never existed.

ZeniBot

Cipher
You can capture ships using Marines, I did this earlier. I captured a small vessel and my marine became the pilot. I could imagine this being very good for stealing ships. I've not discovered how to do combat boarding though (ie. when you're in the midst of fighting and want to capture them without blowing them up).

Also on the case of carriers I thought the entire point of a carrier was to be a mobile station. The idea of being able to keep all my Mediums with me seems like it could be fun. Otherwise I'll just use a destroyer then.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
It IS a mobile station. That has significantly less hull strength and shields than an actual station. And can't produce any goods.

Like I said - portable parking lot.

Raapys

Arcane
From what I've seen so far, bigger ships actually have a higher max speed and acceleration than smaller ones... Not sure what's up with that.

Only thing that's noticeably worse with bigger ships is the strafing. It's so insanely slow it may as well not be there, which makes it harder to navigate.

cw8

Cipher
For personal ships, the M6 is where its at. Or, since X3:TC, the TM ships. Freighter-carriers that look like long versions of the normal freighters, with docking space for 2-3 fighters and a pretty big cargo bay.

And occasionally getting into an M2 (Battleship) to destroy a pirate station or enemy capital ship.

Hyperion Vanguard M6 was my personal ship in X3. It has the best for everything for a small medium ship. Best thing is I can dock 2 M3+ to protect myself.

saeci

Arcane
From what I've seen of this game is that the core systems are good but everything else is bare bones, some have been saying how you run out of things to do 20 hours in. That was the feeling I got too after couple hours of play, couldn't do more cause of bugs. This looks looks like one of those "modders will fix it" games, except adding content instead of fixing it. Right now I wouldn't buy it.

Mortmal

Arcane
From what I've seen of this game is that the core systems are good but everything else is bare bones, some have been saying how you run out of things to do 20 hours in. That was the feeling I got too after couple hours of play, couldn't do more cause of bugs. This looks looks like one of those "modders will fix it" games, except adding content instead of fixing it. Right now I wouldn't buy it.
Full AAA price and its unfinished, i was surprised at how small the map is, very few sectors . Main plot ends after 4 missions only like the first X3 without conclusion. It will undoubtly be expanded but thats not a very honest way to do business.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Full AAA price and its unfinished, i was surprised at how small the map is, very few sectors . Main plot ends after 4 missions only like the first X3 without conclusion. It will undoubtly be expanded but thats not a very honest way to do business.

X3
Land in a space station. Look for a building near those escalator thingies that has slopes into a flat pyramid and then you can sell to the guy there. It took me an hour to realise it was not scenery.

Ahhhhhhh.

You mean, go up the ramp, take the travelator to the end and look for a FUCKHUEG BUILDING WITH A SHOPPING CART LOGO ON THE SIDE. Thanks for the clear directions, do you work for the Egosoft Tutorial Department, by any chance?

ZeniBot

Cipher
Yeah the overall game feels empty like its missing stuff. What it does is impressive sure but this doesn't justify the price tag. I managed to wipe out the Xeno and now I have nothing to do. Its become incredibly difficult to find a fight now.
Avoid using the Auto-Trade functions as from what I've found they're pretty fucked. AI keeps trading for 1,000 cr. Very underwhelming. Also doesn't want to move to other sectors.

The best way to make money hands down is 1. Shooting Crystals and 2. Making First Aid Kits

Once you get a space station then Auto-Mining and Hauling is your main way to make money.

I did try out RTS mode (Ie. you can now group everything into wings and just point to where you want them to do things.) It was actually pretty fun. It would be better though if I actually had something to shoot at.

Perkel

Arcane
Time then to exterminate other factions :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom