Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X4: Foundations - Mount and Blade with space-ships. Now with significant Beta update

asfasdf

robot
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
A return to X3 would be nice, but it is probably going to be another casual crap.

tripedal

Savant
From everything they've shown it looks like another X3-style game, don't understand why people doubt it. And Rebirth sold very badly compared to X3, so it's not like they have any monetary incentive to continue on the path of consolization/casualization.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
From everything they've shown it looks like another X3-style game, don't understand why people doubt it. And Rebirth sold very badly compared to X3, so it's not like they have any monetary incentive to continue on the path of consolization/casualization.
GTFO it looks nothing like X3. It looks like Walking Around Simulator 3000 AKA Stillbirth.

It will be casul as fuck, trust me. X3 was already casualised with all the mouse control bullshit.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
But I liked Terran Conflict, don't get offended from an obvious bait out of sudden.

cw8

Cipher
X4 Presentation. Didn't watch the whole thing but the last 5 mins of the video gives quite a lot of info.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page:

Freedom to personally fly all ships:

X4 will allow you to fly all ships personally. From small scouts over a wide range of ship classes up to the biggest carrier, everything can be piloted from the cockpit or an external view. Additionally some drones and utility vehicles in X4 can be remotely controlled by the player.

A big focus in the development of X4 has been to achieve a seamless and immersive experience when moving between ships. You can leave a ship, climb down a ladder, walk over the dock of a large space station into another ship you may have parked there and replace the pilot that was working for you just by clicking on his chair.

Modular stations and ship upgrades:

Building space stations and factories has always been a foundation of the X games. After gaining enough money through fighting or trading, most players want to establish their own economy and start influencing the universe on a larger scale. In X4, it is now possible to be completely free and creative. Stations can be constructed from a variety of modules, be it production modules, living sections, docks or many other types of parts. The powerful new map system allows you to drag and connect modules using a connection system to design your own unique creations.

Ships also offer a variety of upgrades. Engines, weapons and other equipment can be added in a graphical editor and actually seen on the ship.

Most dynamic X universe ever:

X4 will be the first X game to allow our races and factions to freely build and expand their empires; the same flexibility the player enjoys in creatively designing space stations from modular building blocks is also available to them. Races expand their empire based on supply and demand, which leads to an extremely dynamic universe where every action the player makes can influence the course of the entire universe.

Managing your empire with a powerful map:

Once you have more ships and many NPCs working for you as pilots, crew or station managers, the map will be your preferred method of managing it all. Ships can be ordered with simple clicks and through drag-and-drop operations to set their future path and commands.

Graphically plan your trade routes, coordinate attacks with your entire fleet, manage the hierarchy or send ships on remote exploration missions.

Most detailed X economy ever:

One of the key selling points of X games has always been the realistic, simulated economy. Wares produced by hundreds of stations and transported by thousands of ships are actually traded by NPCs and prices develop based on this simulated economy. This is the foundation of our living and breathing universe. Now with X4, we have taken another, massive step. For the first time in any X game, all parts of the NPC economy are manufactured from resources. Ships, weapons, upgrades, ammo and even stations. You name it. Everything comes out of the simulated economy.

Research and Teleportation:

The seamless change from ship to ship and from NPCs controlling your empire for you continues on a higher level. Once you own a larger fleet, you will be very interested in researching a technology from your HQ: Teleportation. Once you've unlocked teleportation, you can jump from ship to ship a lot quicker and experience all the critical situations your NPCs encounter first hand.

Every order you have given to a ship before turns into a mission objective when you pilot the ship yourself. The moment you leave again, your pilot takes the helm and continues with their previous orders.

Get into the game:

In X4, you can start your journey from a number of different gamestarts and as a number of different characters, each with their own role, set of relationships and different ships and technologies to start with. No matter how you start, you are always free to develop in any other direction. Focus on exploration, make money with illegal trading and theft, command large battle fleets or become the greatest entrepreneur ever. It's all up to you to decide.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It seems that punch in the face which was X Stillborn really put the company back to the right track. Let's hope they will pull this off.

Thane Solus

Arcane
X3 games:

Dat moment when you spent 500 hours to build your epic empire and notice in your first capital engagement that your fleet of capitals even with collision fix mods, cant move properly, spin around and suicide themselves.

/X3

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Dat moment when you are dumb enough to do IS combat.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I.e. it will be X3:TC with improved graphics, updated interface, a teleport script and some other content modders have made. Well, that's acceptable.

Thane Solus

Arcane
Dat moment when you are dumb enough to do IS combat.

LOLOL! I was expecting something dumb like that, what will be the point to play "Icons Turn based" on a MINI MAP? I want to be with my fleet, immerse myself into this dumb shit static universe. Tho the OOS map has lots of uses indeed.

... X3 fanboys ... as good as the Developers :)))

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
LOLOL! I was expecting something dumb like that, what will be the point to play "Icons Turn based" on a MINI MAP? I want to be with my fleet, immerse myself into this dumb shit static universe. Tho the OOS map has lots of uses indeed.

... X3 fanboys ... as good as the Developers :)))
Not a fanboy at all. If you actually read my posts you'd see that I did X3 was declined already.

Perkel

Arcane
X3 games:

Dat moment when you spent 500 hours to build your epic empire and notice in your first capital engagement that your fleet of capitals even with collision fix mods, cant move properly, spin around and suicide themselves.

/X3

While it is true X3 had pretty terrible collision AI. Mods fixed it completely and till this day it is the best space-economy-sim out there aside from EVE which is online game aka shit.

Severian Silk

I'm not a big fan of forcing the use of wormholes/gates/shortcuts versus having the option to point in the right direction and fly to your destination. Starpoint Gemini 2 has an interesting mix of travel methods, though the map is not to true astronomic scale. IWar 2 had some satisfying travel methods too, and I liked that the stations and planets were arranged in concentric orbits.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
De-retarded UI. X-rebirth had few UI patches where they deretarded A LOT UI from its consolization but pad was still center piece. This time it should be at minimum x3 style.
Oh god I hope not.
X3 UI was an abomination. Basically destroyed what could have been an awesome game. Still played it for over a hundred hours but commanding a trading empire was a nightmare, as was building larger structures.
That plus the Kamikaze AI.
:deadhorse:

Also I don't want to have to micromanage everything on the galaxy map. They really really need to get the AI right this time, including the player assistants.
If X4 turns 4X I'm out. :P

Last edited:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Previous X's were terrible and cumbersome. And making trade routes were akin to novice player facing Dwarf Fortress for the first time. Transferring energy cells to your factories were shit. Because credit limit worked crappy, profit limit fucked up transport ranges etc. etc. etc.

Idk. It looks interesting. I ofc am a longtime fan of space elite-like sims, even 4x too like MOO games. I bought X: Beyond the Frontier and X2: The Threat in their timeframes. Judging everything I know, it does look like they're backing away slightly from X: Rebirth. I wouldn't be too confident they'll keep backpedaling, but keep in mind hte modding engine has always been the saving grace for this game. As long as they keep their modding engine strong, many failures on their part can be remedied by the community.

Right now I'm playing Battlecruiser Millenium, a very old game. For old times sake. I play a lot of old games. In light of that, I'd like to say I'm impressed with the on-foot feature in X3: Rebirth and X4. X4 looks even better. The point I wnat to make is having a crew is very cool. Many space sims never had that. And being able to walk around your ships and station is equally distinct from the past. I know some of you think it's unimportant, but I like that sort of thing. I also really like their plan to link stations/ships to the resource economy and how different factions can expand and shrink. This is similarly a distinct feature hard to find in old space sims.

I'll cross my fingers. I'm also amazed X4 might release 20 years after XBTF.

Last edited:

tripedal

Savant

• Bases are now modular
  • Modules are arranged in a blueprint editor, full 3D
  • Blueprints are generated and saved, can later be modified
  • Can issue construction command for specific blueprints
  • Construction ships exist
  • Construction ships can be bought or hired
  • The AI also use this same system
  • All bases are generated
  • Bases are built progressively in the universe
  • Bases need workforce, housing modules exist
  • Some race-specific modules and bases exist
  • Bases can be self-sufficient in the sense that production lines can be used to satisfy needs
  • All bases have station managers with XP system and customizable degrees of automation

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
There is something very german about X series.....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom