Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Morgoth, May 26, 2015.

1. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    ^ Top  
  2. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    Also since are talking about LW2 and LW1 here is what the devs of both had to say about it when people asked if LW2 failed compared to LW1:

^ Top  
  3. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    So, I tried Legendary\Ironman and still couldn't manage to pass first month. Mostly because 2 wounds until first retaliation=rookies during Chosen retaliation fight. Wounded hero = you are screwed during first retaliation. Assassin=retaliation is screwed as she murders all your soldiers without being able to retaliate.
    it's a game of chance to the max, pure RNG where you replay until you get unscratched in your first month.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    RNG does factor in yes but there are tactics that can help deal with RNG. Like grenades and overwatch traps. Even then it can take a few tries to do the first month with satisfactory results. You can also turn off chosen introductory mission and then you start your gatekeeper with random special soldier. Helps a bit with 1st month (also that introductory mission gets old after doing it a few times). Also you need to get a Sgt after first few missions and have a 5th squad slot unlocked. It can be done if you feed kills to one soldier (even easier to do if you start gatekeeper with Templar).

^ Top  
  5. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    I never enable Lost and Found mission and know how to play, I've beaten it on veteran\Ironman but wound times are too severe on Legendary. Well, that's Legendary for a reason.

^ Top  
  6. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    You beaten it on Veteran and that means little. Legendary is its own beast. Even the jump from Commander to Legendary is felt a lot.
    Follow my advice and you can easily beat month 1 and 2 on legendary. WotC also makes it much easier than Vanilla Xcom 2 and I have beaten both on Legendary Ironman.

^ Top  
  7. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    If you are wounded or gravely wounded in a gatekeper then you will recover in time for Chosen retaliation, but secon and lost mission wounds mean you will have to fill your retaliation with rookies. Unless maybe lost dealing 1 damage is about 9 days to recover so could make it in time.
    So far only stable way of passing retaliation is a sniper chosen, because warlock spams bombs and dominations and assassin hit and runs with near guarateed kills.
    My main problem is engeneers and wounds. If you have no engeneer then you won't make it in time with guerilla school for +1 squad size. And wounds mean you'll face chosen with rookies.

^ Top  
  8. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    It is not that hard to mostly avoid wounds. You should be restarting gatekeeper until you get no wounds and no deaths success.
    It is how it is in first month in xcom2.
    It is one of the reasons why I enjoy LW2 much more.

^ Top  
  9. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    Enduring first month is the most annoying part of replays This and inability to disable alien introductions.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    If you start with Templar and proc Bladestorm on his early bonus skills you can trivialize the beginning. Also avoid the Assassin chosen, like you said by far the worst early.

^ Top  
  11. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    I prefer to use reaper as thy allow a free 4 damage blast and super-foolproof scouting

^ Top  
  12. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    That explains your wounds. Templar guarantees kills and tanks shots more than once per mission.

^ Top  
  13. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    Templar do not guarantee a kill. They cannot even kill sectoid with melee vulnerability. They kill only with crits and thye are extremely unreliable

^ Top  
  14. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Templar are godly with bladestorm and borderline useless without.
    Bladestorm allows you to hit the target, then be sure to lend a second hit before it moves.

^ Top  
  15. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    Of course they do. You throw a grenade or have a wounded enemy and templar guarantee a kill and then they soak that one last guy's shot.

^ Top  
  16. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Started playing this. It's okay but shares many of the Nu-XCOM's flaws and then some, including bugs not patched to this day, forcing you to use mods tp fox the, :decline: . In exchange, the mod variety is impressive, although I was wondering if there was a way to make vanilla game harder to compensate for a larger squad (say 10 soldiers) without forcibly increasing the number of enemy pods appearing, as that invariably degenerates into situations like 8 sectoids cramped into a corner of an UFO, which is not okay. I know the WOTC expansion has a better mod about this, but not so much for the vanilla game. Thus, what are you recommendations to make the game harder quality-wise rather than quantity, people?

In another note, I'm glad this game came out in 2015/2016 instead of present day, as the resistance plot would pretty much make the ayylens literal Nazis and/or Trump parodies, followed by making the heroes unlikable, ridiculously Mary Sue-ish PC archetypes, as SJWenstein and Vampyr did. Perhaps the devs knew that SJW-friendly games don't sell?

For extra hilarity there's a Trump voicepack that's NOT banned so far as an available mod.

^ Top  
  17. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    Long war 2 mod of course. It does not degenerate into 8 sectopods but they added lots of stronger versions of existing aliens to challenge you.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. mastroego Arcane

mastroego
    A Better Advent also adds variants of existing aliens. Or was it A Better Campaign?
    But yeah I have the WotC version, so I don't know about vanilla.

^ Top  
  19. Stavrophore Learned

Stavrophore
    Last time i played long war 2 it had 60+ enemies on missions, sometimes 80. Talk about not swarming you with shit.

^ Top  
  20. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    Then you played badly because you should not be doing such missions.
    At most I fought 30 enemies in area Liberation mission where you assault their regional HQ.
    Also those enemies were spread all over the map in 3 to 8 man packs.

^ Top  
  21. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    I always have around 50 enemies on Liberation missions, and similar numbers can happen on Facility missions. Just now I'm defending against a counterattack on one of my liberated regions, and it's going to be 60+ easily by the time I finish it. If I finish it, as I'm starting to wonder why the hell do I bother with this. The game has long stopped being fun.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    As Infiltration goes up, number of enemies goes down to a common Xcom2 numers. But even with that LW2 is a horrible unfun mess

^ Top  
  23. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    Then you are trying to Liberate regions with too much advent strength or you didn't infiltrate for long enough.
    Also those missions let you send a lot of troops so for any challenge it needs more enemies.
    As for defending their attack, just let then have it. Then you can liberate it again for more corpses and other resources.

^ Top  
  24. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Nah, I infiltrated enough (you can't even launch these missions under 100%), and as for advent strength, once you are liberating a region it's going to be moderate at least no matter what. Missions needed for liberation are going to make sure of that. Besides, numbers don't make those missions impossible, just tedious. Oh, and I just won that counterattack mission, 63 enemies in 13 turns, though last couple of turns were just clean up. It wasn't even very difficult as I had my top squad on it, just not even remotely fun. I'm done with it.

^ Top  
  25. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    You can infiltrate missions up to 200% if you use boost.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)