Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Morgoth, May 26, 2015.

1. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    You can infiltrate missions up to 200% if you use boost.

^ Top  
  2. mastroego Arcane

mastroego
    Parrots:
    You might want to try modded WotC then.
    I've had LOTS of fun with it even though I'm kind of burned out at this exact moment.

^ Top  
  3. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Parrots:
    The vanilla game sure is an unoptimized mess, with the game slowing down for no apparent reason, and conflicting with seemingly harmless mods, especially hating voicepacks for some reason, forcing me to uninstall many of them, or have the game crash isntead.

^ Top  
  4. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    And then fucking firaxis jews force you to buy the expansion to get engine improvements and bug fixes.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Parrots:
    Are the improvements that noticeable? If so, perhaps I'll consider abandoning the current campaign AGAIN (I had to do that after somehow a mod fucked up my Proving Ground projects and couldn't generate grenades, ammo or anything). That being said, I found 3 mods that seems to be a must-have for anyone wanting to play this:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=642371502

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=921154022

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=756948560

Especially the last one.

^ Top  
  6. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Very noticeable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Parrots:
    Gotta say, whatever kind of insanely powerful rounds Grenadiers use to Supress targets, I wish they used in regular combat more often. Seriously, sometimes the screen shakes so hard, that I fucked up one move action due the cursor moving slightly due the vibrations. Is there a mod to reduce this "shaking" effect?

Also, the unnoficial launcher posted here some pages ago works like a charm and does improve performance a bit.

^ Top  
  8. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    Parrots:
    Suppression is shit. With demolition you will force enemy to move and grant yourself a critical hit

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Area suppression is not shit.

^ Top  
  10. Mazisky Arbiter

Mazisky
    Parrots:
    A little question, while vanilla Xcom 2 has a forgettable soundtrack, Wotc OST is a masterpiece. Anyone knows if the composer is the same?

^ Top  
  11. Stavrophore Learned

Stavrophore
    Parrots:
    Yes its the same guy.

^ Top  
  12. mastroego Arcane

mastroego
    Parrots:
    Are you saying they kept deliberately out from vanilla both the working engine and the good music?

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Mazisky Arbiter

Mazisky
    Parrots:
    Dunno if deliberately but yes.

Wotc have little to none loading times and all the new sound tracks (i've counted at least 5 of them) are absolutely awesome.

The best soundtrack i've heard in years. Here few examples:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. mastroego Arcane

mastroego
    Parrots:
    Yeah I half joked about that but overall I can't really fault the developers.
    On balance the games are incline and are moddable for more incline (think about bioware games which are essentially un-moddable).

I have 690 hours on log with XCom 1 (Long War) and now 185 with XCom 2.
    Even though I bought the full packages with little to no discount, I still don't feel robbed honestly.

^ Top  
  15. Mazisky Arbiter

Mazisky
    Parrots:
    People seems to forget that, despite the hate for Firaxis, they raised from the dead the franchise and also they started a sort of turn based revolution by ispiring many other devs (and Gollop himself) to make Xcom -like games

• Agree Agree x 5
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Parrots:
    Alright then: After being close to the endgame with the vanilla game, I decided to reinstall it with the latest expansion hoping the game becomes less buggy: From randomly crashing mid-load, to have missions without enemies, have a soldier outside of the spawning point no matter what, or even having all of the pods in contact so that revealing one triggers ALL ENEMIES AT ONCE!!!
    In fact, I'm not sure if the last one is a bug or a game feature starting from August, as I noticed maps started being reduced into a single, central building/bunch of buildings surrounded by enemies, ensuring "very difficult" battles. This becomes worse with Bigger Pods and equivalent mods installed, as that means you're surrounded by dozens of ayyliens in a moment.

This may have something to do that I wasn't able to use the Shadow Chamber until near July due how expensive it is (along with the Psi Chamber) and how far away these not-Steam Vents were in my playthrough, forcing me to wait a long time to start playing the story missions (to the point that a Gatekeeper spawned in a random battle, outside of his standard story mission). I also don't know if I should bother with mods that add more Maps and/or Additional Mission types. The former seem fine if it wasn't due the "sole building" thing mentioned above, while the latter I had bad experiences in the vanilla game but supposedly gets better in WOTC once again.

Lastly, is adding additional enemy factions with mods worth it? As in Raiders, MOCX and the like. I'm not sure if those guys replace one of the enemy pods used in a map, or if they use their own, potentially flooding a map with bad guys if it's the latter. I liked MOCX with the EXALT skin in vanilla, theoretically the mod works better in WOTC. Your thoughts?

Anyway, I'll check which mods are recommended for WOTC while the game takes forever to install.

^ Top  
  17. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Tortor consequat id porta nibh venenatis cras sed felis. Ipsum suspendisse ultrices gravida dictum fusce. In ornare quam viverra orci. Praesent elementum facilisis leo vel. Quisque id diam vel quam elementum pulvinar etiam non quam. Urna et pharetra pharetra massa massa ultricies mi quis. Dictumst quisque sagittis purus sit amet volutpat consequat. Dictum varius duis at consectetur lorem donec massa sapien. Urna porttitor rhoncus dolor purus non. Consequat nisl vel pretium lectus quam id. Nisl pretium fusce id velit ut tortor pretium viverra suspendisse. Cursus metus aliquam eleifend mi in. Nunc vel risus commodo viverra.

Quam vulputate dignissim suspendisse in est. Est ullamcorper eget nulla facilisi etiam dignissim diam quis enim. Faucibus vitae aliquet nec ullamcorper sit amet risus nullam. Nunc scelerisque viverra mauris in aliquam sem fringilla. Convallis aenean et tortor at risus viverra adipiscing at. Suscipit adipiscing bibendum est ultricies integer quis auctor elit. Sed id semper risus in hendrerit gravida. Diam ut venenatis tellus in metus vulputate. Augue mauris augue neque gravida. Et ultrices neque ornare aenean euismod. At erat pellentesque adipiscing commodo.

Varius quam quisque id diam vel quam elementum. Nulla at volutpat diam ut venenatis tellus in. Purus ut faucibus pulvinar elementum integer enim neque. Sagittis nisl rhoncus mattis rhoncus urna. Dignissim cras tincidunt lobortis feugiat vivamus at augue. Maecenas pharetra convallis posuere morbi leo urna molestie at elementum. Auctor urna nunc id cursus metus aliquam eleifend mi in. Adipiscing bibendum est ultricies integer quis auctor elit sed vulputate. Congue mauris rhoncus aenean vel. Nunc congue nisi vitae suscipit tellus mauris. Id consectetur purus ut faucibus pulvinar. Non consectetur a erat nam at lectus urna. Lacinia quis vel eros donec ac odio.

Ut tellus elementum sagittis vitae et. Sodales neque sodales ut etiam sit. Et magnis dis parturient montes nascetur ridiculus mus mauris vitae. Pharetra massa massa ultricies mi quis hendrerit dolor magna. Quisque egestas diam in arcu cursus euismod quis viverra nibh. Quisque non tellus orci ac auctor augue mauris augue neque. Eleifend mi in nulla posuere. Tristique risus nec feugiat in fermentum posuere. Sit amet consectetur adipiscing elit. Volutpat ac tincidunt vitae semper quis lectus nulla. Dolor sit amet consectetur adipiscing elit duis tristique. Placerat in egestas erat imperdiet sed euismod nisi. Mus mauris vitae ultricies leo integer. Porttitor eget dolor morbi non arcu. Porttitor eget dolor morbi non arcu risus quis. Morbi non arcu risus quis varius quam quisque id. Elit duis tristique sollicitudin nibh sit amet commodo nulla facilisi. Porttitor rhoncus dolor purus non enim praesent elementum. Imperdiet massa tincidunt nunc pulvinar sapien.

Viverra maecenas accumsan lacus vel facilisis volutpat est velit egestas. Aenean euismod elementum nisi quis eleifend quam. Mauris augue neque gravida in fermentum. Faucibus vitae aliquet nec ullamcorper sit amet risus nullam. Nulla malesuada pellentesque elit eget. Ut sem nulla pharetra diam sit amet nisl suscipit. Sodales neque sodales ut etiam sit amet nisl purus. Scelerisque viverra mauris in aliquam. Sed nisi lacus sed viverra. A diam sollicitudin tempor id eu nisl nunc. Condimentum mattis pellentesque id nibh tortor id aliquet lectus. Velit euismod in pellentesque massa placerat duis ultricies lacus. Eu nisl nunc mi ipsum. Adipiscing elit pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Parrots:
    Finally, the mod's installation is complete and looks better and more fluid... Alas for some reason the alternate mod launcher is unable to detect the mods installed. I tried to edit the setting path to use the new exe from the WOTC version and try to force it to detect the mods manually, but no dice. Any ideas why this doesn't work?

I tried following this, but no deal: https://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/6wsrlp/fyi_workaround_to_get_the_alternative_mod/

EDIT: Nevermind, found the solution, yay!

I hope it will be less unstable than vanilla game

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Mazisky Arbiter

Mazisky
    Parrots:
    IF anyone cares, i can say at 97% that a new expansion will be announced within 2 months.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Fedora Master Arbiter

Fedora Master
    Parrots:
    That's surprising. I'm sure they'll find ways to ruin the XCOM IP even further.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Mazisky Arbiter

Mazisky
    Parrots:
    Not at all. Xcom EW and Xcom 2 are the best turn based of the modern era, even with their flaws.

Plenty of butthurt threads with the same boring sentences for every game who's not published by poor and starving russian indie devs won't change that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. GrainWetski Arcane

GrainWetski
    Parrots:
    When you're taking a dump on said franchise, it's not actually a good thing. Next you'll be praising Mythic/EA for raising Dungeon Keeper from the dead.

They certainly ruined the turn-based genre since everything is aping their garbage combat, I'll give you that.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Mazisky Arbiter

Mazisky
    Parrots:
    They didn't ruin the genre. On the contrary, they forced the genre on the market again and they are responsible for many turn based to come. You guys just can't be happy. It's part of your forum character.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Parrots:
    First XCOM became p. good later on but they did take a dump on the genre when it came out. It was dumbed down, feature poor and miserable to look at. The reason it's good today is the fans yelled and screamed, Firaxis fixed the biggest holes in the expansion and the rest was patched up with the mandatory Long War mod.

Btw the same goes for XCOM2 and pretty much every single Firaxis game since after Alpha Centauri. First pass is always sad at best and it gets better only with time, DLCs and mods.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Fixed it for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)