Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

GrainWetski

Arcane
People seems to forget that, despite the hate for Firaxis, they raised from the dead the franchise and also they started a sort of turn based revolution by ispiring many other devs (and Gollop himself) to make Xcom -like games
When you're taking a dump on said franchise, it's not actually a good thing. Next you'll be praising Mythic/EA for raising Dungeon Keeper from the dead.

They certainly ruined the turn-based genre since everything is aping their garbage combat, I'll give you that.

Mazisky

Magister
People seems to forget that, despite the hate for Firaxis, they raised from the dead the franchise and also they started a sort of turn based revolution by ispiring many other devs (and Gollop himself) to make Xcom -like games
When you're taking a dump on said franchise, it's not actually a good thing. Next you'll be praising Mythic/EA for raising Dungeon Keeper from the dead.

They certainly ruined the turn-based genre since everything is aping their garbage combat, I'll give you that.

They didn't ruin the genre. On the contrary, they forced the genre on the market again and they are responsible for many turn based to come. You guys just can't be happy. It's part of your forum character.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Not at all. Xcom EW and Xcom 2 are the best turn based of the modern era, even with their flaws.

Plenty of butthurt threads with the same boring sentences for every game who's not published by poor and starving russian indie devs won't change that.

First XCOM became p. good later on but they did take a dump on the genre when it came out. It was dumbed down, feature poor and miserable to look at. The reason it's good today is the fans yelled and screamed, Firaxis fixed the biggest holes in the expansion and the rest was patched up with the mandatory Long War mod.

Btw the same goes for XCOM2 and pretty much every single Firaxis game since after Alpha Centauri. First pass is always sad at best and it gets better only with time, DLCs and mods.

ArchAngel

Arcane
That's surprising. I'm sure they'll find ways to ruin the XCOM IP even further.

Not at all. Xcom EW and Xcom 2 Long War and Long War 2 are the best turn based of the modern era, even with their flaws.

Plenty of butthurt threads with the same boring sentences for every game who's not published by poor and starving russian indie devs won't change that.
Fixed it for you.

Mazisky

Magister

Not at all. Xcom EW and Xcom 2 Long War and Long War 2 are the best turn based of the modern era, even with their flaws.

Fixed it for you.

Longwar 2 was financed by the 2k evil publisher that everyone hate so much. They did that only to praise the same few hardcore crybabies that still shitpost about them, and they gave it for free. I guess it wasn't enough for those ugly fat princesses of my dick.

As i said, it's just the internet character they wanna show, nothing else.

I'm glad that Xcom franchise is in the hands of Firaxis.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Fixed it for you.

Longwar 2 was financed by the 2k evil publisher that everyone hate so much. They did that only to praise the same few hardcore crybabies that still shitpost about them, and they gave it for free. I guess it wasn't enough for those ugly fat princesses of my dick.

And then they "borrowed" some of the ideas from LW2, cut the support and made a worse expansion. Yea, such good company and designers LOL. All they are good for is making the base game and allowing modders to fix it. Kind of like Bethesda.

Mazisky

Magister

Fixed it for you.

And then they "borrowed" some of the ideas from LW2, cut the support and made a worse expansion. Yea, such good company and designers LOL. All they are good for is making the base game and allowing modders to fix it. Kind of like Bethesda.

That's your opinion, i think (and many with me considering steam reviews) that Wotc is a really good old style expansion. If you and few others didn't like it it's not devs fault. Deal with it.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Fixed it for you.

That's your opinion, i think (and many with me considering steam reviews) that Wotc is a really good old style expansion. If you and few others didn't like it it's not devs fault. Deal with it.
Did you miss a forum or something? By that logic Skyrim is best game ever and Avatar is best movie ever. Casual know shit about good games or mechanics or movies.

I value the opinion of Steam review casuals about as much as I value a diarrhea

Mazisky

Magister

Fixed it for you.

Did you miss a forum or something? By that logic Skyrim is best game ever and Avatar is best movie ever. Casual know shit about good games or mechanics or movies.

Steam reviews may be flawed, but so are the forum shitposting full of butthurt people who just shit on everything. So why one should consider forums opinion either?

ArchAngel

Arcane

Fixed it for you.

Steam reviews may be flawed, but so are the forum shitposting full of butthurt people who just shit on everything. So why one should consider forums opinion either?
Because most people gravitate to places where similar people come. Since I don't trust opinion of random casuals from Steam, gaming sites or RPGWatch, I am here where people that enjoy more complex mechanics come.
Why are you here?

Mazisky

Magister

Fixed it for you.

Because most people gravitate to places where similar people come. Since I don't trust opinion of random casuals from Steam, gaming sites or RPGWatch, I am here where people that enjoy more complex mechanics come.
Why are you here?

Still, it doesn't mean that people that enjoy more complex mechanics have better opinion or can't shitpos, in this forum i've read so many random shit comments without any argument so....not better than any random metacritic\steam user.

i'm here because i play pc games since 1993 and this place is heavy pc oriented.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I doubt next DLC will be DLC. In the end of WotC they teased what is coming next and if they are going to release Terror from the Deep DLC then it should be a sequel.
It should be a whole new game as Ethereals would be defeated, all factions freed and Earth is rebuilding and fending off some aquatic psi-menace. Virtually all mechanics should be either reworked or replaced. Best option as I see it is mopping opertions against ADVENT remnants, given how they still remained a force to be reconed with.

Freddie

Savant

They didn't ruin the genre. On the contrary, they forced the genre on the market again and they are responsible for many turn based to come. You guys just can't be happy. It's part of your forum character.
While I agree that Firaxis/2K revived the genre, the best thing is that there is competition. I don't think it's all good / all bad kind of situation and to degree choices in art direction for example, are a matter of individual taste.

However DLC was buggy, even on consoles there were players who needed to wait patch for game stopping bugs for months. It was IMO overpriced for what it was, which IMO comes more apparent if you imagine it without voice acting and cutscenes revolving around major villains, etc. non playable content. Engine fixes were not delivered to base game, even though same engine was used, which IMO tells a lot of how important Firaxis/2K considers long term support.

Re-imagined XCOM made things possible and myself I found them sort of fun, but really let's hope Phoenix Point for example is going to be a better game.

Mazisky

Magister

While I agree that Firaxis/2K revived the genre, the best thing is that there is competition. I don't think it's all good / all bad kind of situation and to degree choices in art direction for example, are a matter of individual taste.

However DLC was buggy, even on consoles there were players who needed to wait patch for game stopping bugs for months. It was IMO overpriced for what it was, which IMO comes more apparent if you imagine it without voice acting and cutscenes revolving around major villains, etc. non playable content. Engine fixes were not delivered to base game, even though same engine was used, which IMO tells a lot of how important Firaxis/2K considers long term support.

Re-imagined XCOM made things possible and myself I found them sort of fun, but really let's hope Phoenix Point for example is going to be a better game.

Buggy? Sure
Weird art direction? Agree
Overpriced DLC? A bit

Still, is the best turn based game of modern days.

Yeah, competition is nice, i hope many TB games will be released

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I'd say i am not happy with the course of Xcom2 and its timer abomination but I can't deny that Firaxis revitalized the genre. At least they said in stream that they realized how awful timer introduction was.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Firaxis shat up both Civ and XCOM and completely removed them from their roots. nu-XCOM was a fluke, which they themselves admitted and now they are desperately trying to chase said fluke. People didn't enjoy nu-XCOM because it was particularly good, they just like it because they were starved for turn based games. This isn't the first time this happened to a new game either, look at Dragon Age. Is it a good RPG? Not really but it came out at a time when the market was starved for RPGs. Heck, the very same happened with Baldur's Fucking Gate way back when.

UFO was about managing resources more than it was about risk avoidance. XCOM is nothing BUT risk avoidance, which comes down to playing the RNG. That's why the go-to approach was overwatch hopping, which they took away with timers. This just goes to show how little they actually understand about the games they work on. Do I even need to mention the abomination that is Civ6?

e: You know what UFO also wasn't about? Listenting to endless
HyIT0dq.png
from some alien bitches.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Firaxis shat up both Civ and XCOM and completely removed them from their roots. nu-XCOM was a fluke, which they themselves admitted and now they are desperately trying to chase said fluke. People didn't enjoy nu-XCOM because it was particularly good, they just like it because they were starved for turn based games. This isn't the first time this happened to a new game either, look at Dragon Age. Is it a good RPG? Not really but it came out at a time when the market was starved for RPGs. Heck, the very same happened with Baldur's Fucking Gate way back when.

UFO was about managing resources more than it was about risk avoidance. XCOM is nothing BUT risk avoidance, which comes down to playing the RNG. That's why the go-to approach was overwatch hopping, which they took away with timers. This just goes to show how little they actually understand about the games they work on. Do I even need to mention the abomination that is Civ6?

e: You know what UFO also wasn't about? Listenting to endless
HyIT0dq.png
from some alien bitches.
That is a very good point, but I think if they had tried to get the feel of the older one, we might have had an abomination. At least, the new one is different enough that it doesn't feel like an uncanny valley clone of the older one.

I'd rather play nuXCom and XCom2 than wait years for ideal turn-based game to arrive.

OpenXCOM exists.

But that would also defeat the idea of a faithful remake: it is not like they would make it better than the original either.

I don't think they could have made a timeless classic like the original. I think I would be much more irritated by the game if they tried to stay faithful to it. Remaking a classic is as uselessas remaking a good movie (cf Robocop) IMO.

At least, XCOM and X-COM only share most of the name.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to piss on nu-COM. I enjoyed the first one a lot but this iteration was just a lot of BS to me and I have no hope that Firaxis will improve. Hell, the fact that they support the game at all still is a surprise to me. They aren't exactly known for long term support.

e: I think this story exemplifies the fundamental differences between old- and nu-COM quite well. It derives from just a coincidental name on a random rookie and luck. A single soldier in nu-COM would never be able to do any of that.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
e: You know what UFO also wasn't about? Listenting to endless whinning from some alien bitches.

I have a mod for you: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1137638215

To be fair though, I like The Hunter's comments, he's quite Codexian in behaviour and his awkward mini-pauses and reprhasings when he boasts that he'll kill your soldiers with one shot and fail to do so where funny (at one point he outright stated "You weren't supposed to survive that!").

Avoid mods that increase enemy pods' size though, I made that mistkae to compensate for a bigger player squad, but the result is that maps inevitably become giant arenas with dozens of ayylens shoved together into cramped positions activating all at once (even the Lost at some points, making things turn into instant bloodbaths). That problem is made worse if you have the MOCX mod or things like that, as that one also adds even more units to the map.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom