Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to piss on nu-COM. I enjoyed the first one a lot but this iteration was just a lot of BS to me and I have no hope that Firaxis will improve. Hell, the fact that they support the game at all still is a surprise to me. They aren't exactly known for long term support.

e: I think this story exemplifies the fundamental differences between old- and nu-COM quite well. It derives from just a coincidental name on a random rookie and luck. A single soldier in nu-COM would never be able to do any of that.
Indeed, the new one being much gamier and "controlled", it makes it much harder to generate original stories inside its framework.
That said, given the lifespan of a "scout" in the older X-COM, most would never have the occasion to shine like this :D

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
XCOM retrospective livestream with Jake Solomon in few hours, with "a few surprises": https://steamcommunity.com/games/268500/announcements/detail/1710695726760471762

XCOM Retrospective Livestream

7a8aad72cab7b42836dbadb5666ed6b0162b64cf.jpg

XCOM: Enemy Unknown turns six years old on October 9. We're kicking off the celebration this Thursday at 8pm CET / 3pm ET / 12pm ET with the first in a series of XCOM retrospectives. Join Jake Solomon and other devs at twitch.tv/firaxisgames! We may even have a few surprises to come.

What: XCOM Retrospective Livestream
When: Thursday, September 20 at 12pm PT / 3pm ET / 8pm CET
Where: http://twitch.tv/firaxisgames

Be sure to follow XCOM on social media to keep up to date with the latest information. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for Inside Looks at new characters and enemies, features and insights from the development team!

Mazisky

Magister
The next expansion called "TLE" will be announced this 9th october.

I know for sure (well, at 95%), that it's an expansion and not a DLC, since they are working on it for more than 1 year, it should be WOTC size.

Mazisky

Magister
The next expansion called "TLE" will be announced this 9th october.

I know for sure (well, at 95%), that it's an expansion and not a DLC, since they are working on it for more than 1 year, it should be WOTC size.

Another add on? Gotta keep milking the same game then I guess.
What does TLE mean though?

It's the name they use internally for this upcoming dlc, it may be "the last expansion" or the real acronym of the DLC, like "the last elder" or smt.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Does it matter, it is going to be shit like the last one. And worse, it might require last one to work so you will need to have those Lost and Chosen shit in the game.

Mazisky

Magister
Does it matter, it is going to be shit like the last one. And worse, it might require last one to work so you will need to have those Lost and Chosen shit in the game.

It's not a big deal:

me and many others will buy and enjoy it while u and few others will shitpost on forums. It's a fair trade

Falksi

Arcane
Any expansion of sequel is pointless until they change the very basic fact that everything boils down to "activate pod early in turn to win, activate pod late in turn to lose"

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Any expansion of sequel is pointless until they change the very basic fact that everything boils down to "activate pod early in turn to win, activate pod late in turn to lose"
That by itself is not a very big issue compared to having to make sure you never activate two pods at the same time.

ArchAngel

Arcane

It's not a big deal:

me and many others will buy and enjoy it while u and few others will shitpost on forums. It's a fair trade
Oh don't worry, I will download and play it as well so I can shitpost better here. Then I will remove it and install back my legal vanilla + LW2 or just move on to PP if it will turn out good enough.

But unlike Xcom 2, Xcom + exp was supported by LW1 so eventually I bought both.
I guess Firaxis does not want my money with their shit products.

And you are an agent of :decline: by supporting them without reservation.

Falksi

Arcane
That by itself is not a very big issue compared to having to make sure you never activate two pods at the same time.

Aye, very true.

It's sad isn't it? all that design, all those choices, all the hours gone into making the game and those basic elements are all it really boils down to.

Parabalus

Arcane

Aye, very true.

It's sad isn't it? all that design, all those choices, all the hours gone into making the game and those basic elements are all it really boils down to.

Unmodded Xcom2 has unactivated pods actively patrol away from you if engaged one already, ie. if you triggered more than one you "did something wrong".
Pretty horribly designed tbh, even just a few stragglers would add much to the feel. Chosen fit the bill somewhat, but not enough.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Aye, very true.

Unmodded Xcom2 has unactivated pods actively patrol away from you if engaged one already, ie. if you triggered more than one you "did something wrong".
Pretty horribly designed tbh, even just a few stragglers would add much to the feel. Chosen fit the bill somewhat, but not enough.
In XCOM1 long war 1, the answer to the problem was by upping the density of pods on maps AND making larger % of pods mobile. In the end you still want to "activate 1 pod early in turn" but pods are often big enough that some aliens survive your turn and then a patrolling pod comes in. It doesn't address the fundamental flaw but at least makes it less pronounced and less repetitive.

Parabalus

Arcane

Aye, very true.

In XCOM1 long war 1, the answer to the problem was by upping the density of pods on maps AND making larger % of pods mobile. In the end you still want to "activate 1 pod early in turn" but pods are often big enough that some aliens survive your turn and then a patrolling pod comes in. It doesn't address the fundamental flaw but at least makes it less pronounced and less repetitive.

For Xcom2 the "A Better Advent" series does this, it gives a noise value to your shots/abilities and aliens start patroling towards you.

Hope Firaxis themselves does something themselves but I'm not holding my breath.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Aye, very true.

For Xcom2 the "A Better Advent" series does this, it gives a noise value to your shots/abilities and aliens start patroling towards you.

Hope Firaxis themselves does something themselves but I'm not holding my breath.
Long War 2 implemented noise system, not better advent. That mod at best took it from LW2.
LW2 also has enemies see dead bodies and go aggro and search for you. Also civilians can make noise while running away and bring in more pods.

Parabalus

Arcane

Aye, very true.

Long War 2 implemented noise system, not better advent. That mod at best took it from LW2.
LW2 also has enemies see dead bodies and go aggro and search for you. Also civilians can make noise while running away and bring in more pods.

Do you get regular checks from Pavonis Interactive / Long War Studios?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I revisited WotC because I ain't got anything better to do and... Well, I must admit it isn't as terrible as I remembered it but the main issues still stand. I just killed the Hunter and the guy would. not. shut. up. I don't know what they thought when making these clowns. They aren't funny, they aren't interesting, they add nothing to the lore. Playing on Veteran the game is piss easy, too, although I suspect that has a lot to do with what research inspirations you get early on.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Try https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1492899729
I tried a few pod management mods, but the "remove activation" did not change the AI, so they would all charge into you without coordination (it could be scary at times, though), resulting in most missions feeling like: activate a pod, dig in to wheather the storm, complete the objective after all aliens are dead, or evac before getting overun.
It was fun, but it lacked finesse.
I played one of the yellow alert mods, but it didn't interact too well with WOTC when I did (I think it made the assassin not take action, or maybe I mess it up with another mod).
I'll try it again next time I feel the urge to kill some Aliens with superheroes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom