Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Battle Brothers :M

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Ok I have played through all of the new missions and got the bonus stuff. The missions themselves are ok, nothing special, the voiceovers are cool, if you liked the original game you will like this, if not, well... :)

Mazisky

Magister
Im pretty disappointed tbh. I like the game so i hoped for a big expansion, not random story missions outside the campaign.

I know it's sort of bonus DLC but all those resources spent on voices, assets, etc. for one-time missions unrelated to the game it's a waste.

I rather pay 50 bucks for a big expansion than having this for free if i have to choice.

I was pretty hyped for this fall cause i knew Xcom 2 expansion + Diablo 4 announce.

I got this dlc and a netflix series for the latter. I am depressed.

Last edited:

drgames

Scholar
I played this game for about 6 hours and I immediatly letf, how the hell did you guys manage to play it even more? The rng is also rigged, I tried save/load a lot of times and every single time I did my first character always missed the target (the chance to get it was like 80%). Steam reviews and game jorunalism gave this game a poisitive feedback, but it is shit.

Ethaliel

Novice
I played this game for about 6 hours and I immediatly letf, how the hell did you guys manage to play it even more? The rng is also rigged, I tried save/load a lot of times and every single time I did my first character always missed the target (the chance to get it was like 80%). Steam reviews and game jorunalism gave this game a poisitive feedback, but it is shit.
That's strange. I also played for a couple of hours and in second tutorial mission, I've been constantly hitting shots with 66% or so accuracy. I even got hits on overwatch, albeit most of them from higher ground.

Wysłane z mojego ALE-L21 przy użyciu Tapatalka

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

The game is designed to stop Save Scumming like that from happening. There's some sort of seeding mechanic where the game rolls for the shot before you take it, iirc. So if you reload the save its still going to be a miss. You have to move a character first or do something different before taking a shot to reset the calculation.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, I think the number of hits and misses is fixed - not sure if for every encounter or for the entire map - so you can never succeed every time.

Save scumming is pointless except for extreme cases when you bunch up too much with 3 or 4 dudes, and two grenades in a row wipe your entire squad in a few seconds. Even I savescum shit like this, not gonna restart 20 hours worth of campaign because of momentary stupidity.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, I think the number of hits and misses is fixed - not sure if for every encounter or for the entire map - so you can never succeed every time.

Save scumming is pointless except for extreme cases when you bunch up too much with 3 or 4 dudes, and two grenades in a row wipe your entire squad in a few seconds. Even I savescum shit like this, not gonna restart 20 hours worth of campaign because of momentary stupidity.
It doesn't work exactly like that:
The Rolls are seeded from the beginning (either when starting a campaign, or maybe when loading a map for the first time). Then each action "consumes" a roll.
But moving someone also count as an action, and consumes a roll, even though there are no random roll for moving a character.

You can succeed every time if you find the right combination. The game doesn't intentionally pre roll a hit or a miss, it's just pre-rolling a d100 and if your accuracy is above the roll then you've hit. Taking actions in any kind of a different order shakes up the dice. If we assume 6 characters are going to do 6 move + 6 shoot actions, there's literally tens if not hundreds of millions* of different possible orders with their own unique string of dice rolls, while if all 6 had 70% accuracy roughly 12% of those potential orderings will lead to all hits.

*Not actually sure how the stats work since you have to shoot after you move, but it's up there.

It doesn't work exactly like that:
The Rolls are seeded from the beginning (either when starting a campaign, or maybe when loading a map for the first time). Then each action "consumes" a roll.
But moving someone also count as an action, and consumes a roll, even though there are no random roll for moving a character.

Almost entirely sure that it's not an order of rolls, every action completely rejiggers the RNG. Character 1 moving and shooting can get a different roll compared to Character 2 moving and character 1 shooting.

LizardWizard

Cipher
I was pretty hyped for this fall cause i knew Xcom 2 expansion + Diablo 4 announce.

I am depressed.

Why would your set yourself up for disappointment in being hyped for a D4? There is zero chance that it wouldn't be cliff diving decline

Mazisky

Magister

I am depressed.

Why would your set yourself up for disappointment in being hyped for a D4? There is zero chance that it wouldn't be cliff diving decline

Because the others games in the genre suck balls too so i want something that doesn't feels like it's from 15 years ago.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, I finally bought the WotC DLC in the latest deal spree. With a handful of the most popular mods the game is great. Played through two campaigns in a row, first just Veteran, then Commander Ironman. Worth every penny. WotC might be one of the best DLCs for any strategy games period.

eXalted

Arcane
Yeah, I finally bought the WotC DLC in the latest deal spree. With a handful of the most popular mods the game is great. Played through two campaigns in a row, first just Veteran, then Commander Ironman. Worth every penny. WotC might be one of the best DLCs for any strategy games period.
This pretty much. It's exactly what a proper expansion should be.

I found a nicely done collection of mods here - https://steamcommunity.com/id/DigTh...ections&appid=268500&browsefilter=myfavorites

Used a lot of them in my playthrough.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

That is a very well arranged list. Some of the mods I've used already, others I'll check out.

Just one thing - I don't play with Better Advent on Ironman anymore. It's a great idea and most of the time it works but in a few specific moments it's not well balanced. In one of my Chosen stronghold attack missions I got 3 primes as spawns in the span of two consecutive turns (first round Archon Prime and Spectre Prime, the next round Muton Prime and Muton Infector). And the next turn the Warlock came back and started spamming Elite Priests. If you go kill a Chosen in an early-ish part of the campaign this is not doable. You WILL get wiped out. And since it's usually your best squad it's probably the end of the campaign. This couldn't happen without Better Advent, the spawns are much more balanced. So just a warning.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

Yea its kind of amazing how much WotC elevates the game. I bought XCOM 2 on release because I liked the 1st remake, but I bounced off it HARD and barely played it. Majorly regretted buying it. But got WotC recently and did a full finished campaign, sucked me right in. Hard to even say why but it made it so much more interesting. I still hate that the strategy map is covered in so much shit, but I guess thats just inevitable with appealing to "nu-gamers".

ArchAngel

Arcane

Yea its kind of amazing how much WotC elevates the game. I bought XCOM 2 on release because I liked the 1st remake, but I bounced off it HARD and barely played it. Majorly regretted buying it. But got WotC recently and did a full finished campaign, sucked me right in. Hard to even say why but it made it so much more interesting. I still hate that the strategy map is covered in so much shit, but I guess thats just inevitable with appealing to "nu-gamers".
Because you like lots of Xplosions!! , and cool heroes , and more Xplosions!!
Don't deny it, you are just are filthy casual.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
After 5 long years I gave XCOM 1 a shot. First I started a Long War campaign but forgot how LOOOONG it actually is. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Then started a normal EW Ironman Classic. First mission with Thin Men. First alien turn - a soldier behind full cover dead. A soldier behind half-cover but in smoke dead. My medic behind full cover AND smoke hit for 5, unconscious. End of campaign. Womp womp.

Either Thin Men aim is intentionally absurd or something is fucky (tho I do seem to remember they were always pain in the ass).

All in all the game aged very well. The tactical layer is obviously vastly inferior to WotC but I actually like hunting for UFO more than watching a scanning timer go round and round. Still eminently playable, even without Long War (vanilla is terrible tho, EW was as big a deal for XCOM1 as was WotC for XCOM2).

Falksi

Arcane
Whilst X-Com 2 & WoTC have better individual elements such as soldier builds, I still much prefer the Enemy Within campaign.

It's just more balanced, more fun, and less skanky.

I'm also really not a fan of the story & setup in the sequal either. Having earth feel like it's under attack is way more interesting than the poxy rebellion, which doesn't even feel like a rebellion. There's a massive lack of a "strike" feeling in X-Com 2 for a game which is supposed to be about hitting back.

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
After 5 long years I gave XCOM 1 a shot. First I started a Long War campaign but forgot how LOOOONG it actually is. Ain't nobody got time for that.

All in all the game aged very well. The tactical layer is obviously vastly inferior to WotC
You need to accept the lenght and play Long War 1.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You need to accept the lenght and play Long War 1.

I don't really mind the snappier campaign, I played enough LW back in the day. Plus I really want to play Ironman and with LW difficulty I'd have to play on Normal (which feels chumpy) to avoid throwing my comp out of the window. The game can feed you some incredible bullshit at times, like the one I described.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom