Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I'm actually astounded that you can't tell the difference but there's no accounting for taste I suppose!

Mazisky

Magister
I'm actually astounded that you can't tell the difference but there's no accounting for taste I suppose!

I know that shit-talking on modern games and praising the old ones is in fashion, but you are doing it the wrong way. Focus on gameplay rather than ashestetic if you wanna be believable.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

I know that shit-talking on modern games and praising the old ones is in fashion, but you are doing it the wrong way. Focus on gameplay rather than ashestetic if you wanna be believable.

Okay, go back to watching your cartoons dude. I'm done talking to you.

Mazisky

Magister

Okay, go back to watching your cartoons dude. I'm done talking to you.

I'll do, i'll start with the Ufo-defense cinematic intro.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Firaxis XCOM is not intended for UFO players.
Firaxis Civilization is not intended for Civ players.
It's as simple as that. These games have the name and the look but they are no true sequels.

Mazisky

Magister
It's as simple as that. These games have the name and the look but they are no true sequels.

True, they are a re-imagine, which means a similar game adapted for the modern market. I've loved both old and new.

My dream still is a Ufo:defense carbon copy with modern graphics, tho.

ArchAngel

Arcane

True, they are a re-imagine, which means a similar game adapted for the modern market. I've loved both old and new.

Mine is not. UFO still had balance problems. I would prefer something like Xenonauts but better made instead.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Didn't firaxis make Civ4? It was great
No it wasn't. That Culture shit was complete shit in how it worked.

I played it once, made a big army, walked into enemy territory and beat their best army. Then walked into middle to take best city I could find and took it. Left my units there there for 5 turns to heal and city turned around and became their again and took my troops with it.. wtf. Uninstall.exe

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Actually, I would love the old UFO Defense to get a remastered version with better UI and graphics, but it doesn't really happen for isometric games.

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister

Actually, I would love the old UFO Defense to get a remastered version with better UI and graphics, but it doesn't really happen for isometric games.

They could have done it with xenonauts, but i guess making a 1:1 clone of another game is too much to handle for the ego, even if the final result is a clone anyway.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron

I played it once, made a big army, walked into enemy territory and beat their best army. Then walked into middle to take best city I could find and took it. Left my units there there for 5 turns to heal and city turned around and became their again and took my troops with it.. wtf. Uninstall.exe
Are you aware that there is an option to turn cultureflipping to previous owner off in the game creation screen?

ArchAngel

Arcane

Are you aware that there is an option to turn cultureflipping to previous owner off in the game creation screen?
This was long time ago, I never bothered to install it again and I will not now. I usually try every new Civ game, play it for 1-2 games and uninstall it.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

This was long time ago, I never bothered to install it again and I will not now. I usually try every new Civ game, play it for 1-2 games and uninstall it.
Me too, but I am not sure it is because they get worse. To me, it is mostly because they still feel the same, and I played Civ1 to death (because Civ2 was most certainly superior).

ArchAngel

Arcane

Me too, but I am not sure it is because they get worse. To me, it is mostly because they still feel the same, and I played Civ1 to death (because Civ2 was most certainly superior).
Similar for me. It is reason why I liked Civ 5, the new combat system was at least something completely different than previous Civs and it made it exciting to try. Otherwise all Civ games almost feel like playing same game with a few more options.

okay I am playing LW2 and a million missions pop up constantly, I am used to trying to tackle every one that pops up in these games, but that is seeming to be damn near impossible in LW2. How important is it to do every mission? Do I need to try and keep up with every one that pops up? Or is it okay to ignore some of them? I mean time is hardly passing at all with all the missions popping up, its crazy.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I installed XCOM 2, and found when I don't have checked neither integrated DLC nor DLC 2, alien rulers STILL appear.

Now in comparison to them rest of enemies are drastically easy. The worst thing is they appear on random missions, thus you have a serpent strangling Mox, and alien ruler nearby. Then serpent is shot and alien ruler as reaction shot freezes both Mox and serpent.

Also is it hard to give a choice if soldier from soldier pool would use his class he has selected as preferred? Basically Now I wonder if Phoenix Point is worse than XCOM2 with alien rulers appearing randomly and basically inverting game flow.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are there any must have mods for this game?
The one that lets you have guardsman clothing.

Guardsmen as in Imperial Guardsmen?

5003A4229A4B365C38C658087D5029EC49CFFC74

Look like it.

I only did one playthrough of XCOM 2 (during the free week-end), I used one mod to show health for the enemies as numbers instead of the small health bar which weren't very readable past 10 hp, one to reduce pauses between actions and one to show if items are required for crafting/research in the black market.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom