Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder how cheap they're gonna go on production values? It seems like you gotta move heaven and earth to sell a million copies of something on Steam.

They are also gonna push modder stuff.

Well, they're Firaxis. They have that other series of games that sells a gajillion copies on Steam..what's it called, something that starts with 'C'?

If it weren't for that experience, they probably would have kept to consoles for this one too.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I have to admit, I smiled when I saw the snakeman.

Still, time will tell if this game still has the stupid 4 man squads (I expect it will be 5 man squads due to 5 classes), no inventory management and 2-move system and fucking retarded pod activation.

It probably does, and will probably be not good.

Gozma

Arcane
I didn't like the snakeman. The hood thing is too particular. It's cool if it reminds you of a snake in an alienish way, but if it gets too specific it seems like a furry or something

They need to have a sectoid on the human terrorist side wearing an adorable tiny balaclava carrying an RPG-7 to hook me

How well did Civ 5 do before price drops and that kinda stuff? I suppose I can guess from Beyond Earth, lemme look

Beyond Earth peaked at 86K according to Steamcharts, still under a million at full price if you go by the x10 thing

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Actually, looking at one of the pictures
01_x2_screens_media_thm.jpg

It seems pod activation is not necessarily a thing. Looks like the weapon has 3 pitiful shots, but there is a backpack icon next to it which seems to have 3 slots. Perhaps there will be simplistic inventory management?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Thus we would see third game. I actually didn't play the expansion aka game 2, so perhaps I should try third game instead.

Cautiously optimistic. Sounds interesting but Firaxis has not proven itself to be a learning animal.

whatevername

Arcane
Developed by Firaxis Games, XCOM 2 transports players 20 years into the future, where humanity lost the war against the alien threat that has established a new world order.
4 dudes with shit weapons and grenades rape all aliens with shit AI straight from the toilet on impossible (or whatever it's called) and suddenly humanity loses to them?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
They say the game will have (seemingly) comprehensive mod support:

CREATE CUSTOM MODS
Community-focused tools allow you to create your own campaign, tactical gameplay, aliens, classes, strategy game features, and share within the Steam Workshop.

Gozma

Arcane
Wonder if they did most of the development thinking the paid mods thing was gonna be in full swing by release

The biggest Longwar people (johnnylump and amineri I think?) have said they're gonna kickstart their own game, so it's not like XCOM has some vast community champing at the bit to do huge value-adding mods

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Actually I kinda like guerilla warfare thingy on paper. I hope Geoscape part will change mostly due to this. Attacking the least radar protected areas, deploying our own terror missions, stealing from warehouses (do aliens have warehouses ?!?), propaganda missions and etc.
This game can go places if they do it right. (they= modders )

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wonder if they did most of the development thinking the paid mods thing was gonna be in full swing by release

The biggest Longwar people (johhnylump and amineri I think?) have said they're gonna kickstart their own game, so it's not like XCOM has some vast community champing at the bit to do huge value-adding mods
How can you possibly know how many people are willing and/or capable of huge value-adding mods, given that they'll have proper tools this time around??

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Developed by Firaxis Games, XCOM 2 transports players 20 years into the future, where humanity lost the war against the alien threat that has established a new world order.
4 dudes with shit weapons and grenades rape all aliens with shit AI straight from the toilet on impossible (or whatever it's called) and suddenly humanity loses to them?
Maybe it's the fact that Earth only had all of 4 guys defending it that allowed the aliens to take over?

Gozma

Arcane
There could be good mods, I'm saying there's no reason to expect anyone will hit the ground running. The main Longwar people have said they're donezo and there's absolutely no good reason for presumption that people with that much give-a-shit will swoop in and sprinkle more pixie dust on a new game.

Longwar is probably one of the top ten or so "modder expansions" ever made.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

...and it will be up to three dudes and one chick to beat back the alien invaders! Chick takes lead and initiative. Dudes follow. Embedded in a beautifully bright, hopeful, Sid Meier-approved art style.

sid-meier-befurchtet-zu-viel-komplexitat-im-strate_p7r8.jpg

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What I would say as far as modding is concerned is that apparently Firaxis appreciated the extra life Long War provided to the product and are bros enough to actually support modding this time around.
This can only be seen as a good move imo

ArchAngel

Arcane
on xcom2 page it says you will be able to loot stuff of killed enemies and carrie you fallen comrades to extraction points to save them. Real equipment system and combat looting confirmed?

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
PC exclusive random maps. I bet there's something rotten hidden in this game.
Also, it is ironic if now aliens will roam across the map and it'll be X-COM that will be always encountered in 3-4 packs.
1440.png

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
first one was
ds
shit. Hyped for this. Not so much the Raiden sword swinger.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Maybe it's the fact that Earth only had all of 4 guys defending it that allowed the aliens to take over?
Why there were players who didn't expand squad size to 6? One HWP and 5 squaddies were much more useful than 4 rookies.

Gozma

Arcane
The original game was pretty much over as soon as you did the base invasion even on impossible, which you could do in the second month. The aliens just didn't come within a mile of scaling to the player's power growth and the last 3/4ths of the game were a victory lap, so yeah the part that mattered was played with 4~5 units. I assume EW without Longwar was pretty much the same.

It was 100% a rough draft that Longwar made into a real (although too long) game. The new versions have a mode called "Dynamic War" that lets you arbitrarily scale the length of the game to make it much shorter that was pretty fucked up in various ways the last time I played (early b15) but that has apparently been fixed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom