Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Xenoblade, finally a good JRPG?

Repressed Homosexual
I must admit, I was an avid JRPG player in my teens and early twenties, because of being raised on Nintendo consoles and not knowing better. In spite of now being hungry for deeper gameplay and cringing at anime tropes exhibited in JRPGs, every now and then I will crave for one. Most of the times though when trying to play one I will end up giving up on it without hours.

But there's this game called Xenoblade that has the weaboo community ablaze, with most people saying that it's among the best JRPGs of all time, best Japanese game of the generation and stuff like that. It's on Wii, but it can be emulated on Dolphin if your PC is powerful enough, and you can use a PC gamepad to control the action.

I've played it for about three hours and I must say that it shows promise. Sure, in the end it's still a JRPG, and it's still meant for teens, but I am impressed at how polished the whole experience is.

The combat system is basically a beefed up Final Fantasy XII, which is to say, MMO lite, with you only having direct control over one character at a time. You have various skills that you can level up, and you must learn how to time them correctly. It actually works surprisingly well. You can also boost your equipment with gems, which kinda works like Final Fantasy VII's materia, except you can craft the gems more.

The environments are vast, with sprawling plains and the like. Music is superb as well. The game seems to be shockful of content, many players talking about a 100+ hours experience. There are tons of MMO-like sidequests along the way that you can pick up or not. They're all very simple and fast to do, so they don't distract from the main story objectives. You can save anywhere you want. When you die, you restart at the last checkpoint, but only like one time.

As far as the story goes, it's not that far from the typical fantasy steampunk Japanese story, but so far it's not really obnoxious. It's by the creator of Xenogears, but it's nowhere nearly as anime-ish as either Xenogears or Xenosaga.

Looks like this one is definitely worth a look if you're in the JRPG mood.

Bruticis

Saw a thread on this earlier and decided to check it out. I'm running it on Dolphin and it looks fantastic (for a Wii game). I'm pleasantly surprised thus far but I've only been playing for a few hours.

Repressed Homosexual
Bruticis said:
Saw a thread on this earlier and decided to check it out. I'm running it on Dolphin and it looks fantastic (for a Wii game). I'm pleasantly surprised thus far but I've only been playing for a few hours.

It looks pretty great for what it is. My Phenom isn't fast enough for me to bump up the upscaling, aliasing and filtering very much though, and even then there's a hint of stutter here and there. Perhaps I could see if there's an easy overclocking solution.

But yeah I'm surprised at how polished and content-rich the game is, and full of interesting features too.

Bruticis

Yup, I'm not crazy about JRPGs but this one is pretty damn tolerable. What typical bugs me in JRPGs are the whiny, emo characters and convoluted combat systems. Xenoblade really doesn't have any of that (again, not that far in so maybe it changes). I was really shocked how much better Dolphin can make Wii games look
dolphin-2011-08-21-23-p8kq.jpg

Repressed Homosexual
What bugs me are the teenaged characters and lolis making jokes at one another and getting worked up over stupid stuff.

I think the only ones I can tolerate are the ones from NIS and Gust, because at least their games don't take themselves seriously, their gameplay systems are never convoluted, and they generally incorporate innovative gameplay concepts.

And I don't know, with Japanese ones sentimentality is always at the forefront, and the music is a lot more involving. There is also a lot more colorful art. It can be a refreshing change of pace once in a while (if it doesn't make you cringe to no end).

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Yeah, I've pumped about 20hrs into it - taking a break to play DX:HR now.

I've got a fairly beefy machine and @ 1080p + AA/AF in Dolphin it looks pretty damn sweet. I can make a direct comparison as I have a hacked Wii hooked up to the same monitor and it looks 10x times better on the PC.

The games pretty good too. My only real complaint is how easy the combat is after the first few character levels. Just following the MQ and completing side quests only if they occur incidentally - all the enemies you come across are either 1 or more levels below you (too easy) or 10+ or more levels above (impossible). Died a few times in the early game but haven't even come close since.

Honestly, you (the char you're controlling) doesn't even have to participate in most battles. Just target a monster and start the battle and your party members will do the rest. Perhaps it gets more challenging later on?

Other than that, the presentation, exploration and story are great (for a jRPG).

DarthBehemoth

Learned
Bruticis said:
Yup, I'm not crazy about JRPGs but this one is pretty damn tolerable. What typical bugs me in JRPGs are the whiny, emo characters and convoluted combat systems. Xenoblade really doesn't have any of that (again, not that far in so maybe it changes). I was really shocked how much better Dolphin can make Wii games look
dolphin-2011-08-21-23-p8kq.jpg

Looks better than DA2 :smug:

Mortmal

Arcane
Pfewwwww thats looks way way better than on the wii, 10X better there's no exageration, the upsclaing is very bad on wii with lot of jaggies. Its indeed better looking than dragon age 2 using that dolphin emulator. Really worth trying if you dont have mad expectations about it, its a very good jrpg,i am already at 60 hours into it and roughly at half of the game.The teenage heroes are annoying as always , i am fed up of the average video games immaturity, but i wont lie, i had lot of fun playing this.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Lets be serious here. Decent jRPG for the Wii? Sure. Best jRPG of this gen? Not even close.
Music is alright, few good pieces here and there but nothing that will stick with me. But then I'm slightly biased. After playing NIER, games are going to have to try really hard to impress me with their soundtrack.
The optional content is rubbish unless you enjoy doing MMO FedEx quests.
Combat isn't actually that great. It feels like it has a bit more substance than, say, a Tales of game which is just a straight up button masher, but even Kingdom Hearts has more interesting combat. Does not help that this game doesn't really put forth a real challenge. At least I've yet to encounter one.
Story is alright. Hard to say how much has been fucked up with the localization, but I kind of like the whole Bionis vs Mechonis thing going on. It's not as good as Xenogears, but it works.
I'm not a graphics whore, but this game looks really bad. I play it on my Wii so it doesn't have the upscaling that the PC emulator does to make it look good, but on my Wii the game looks worse than a PS2 game. In fact there are a ton of PS2 games that look much, much better than this game. I'm using FF12 as an example of a better looking game since that game also features big open areas.
Game is mediocre at best. That doesn't make it a bad game, but it's not the best game evar either.

deuxhero

Arcane
Actually, it is easily the best console jRPG this gen. That's purely because there haven't been any good console ones at all this gen though (All the playable to good ones have been on the DS or PSP, there haven't even been many ON the consoles, there were a handful that MS bought temporary exclusivity for, but that is it).

It's also not suprising Xenoblade is good, Monolith has made some fairly good jRPGs (<3 Baten Kaitos.)

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I guess Lost Odyssey and Demon's Souls weren't released this gen, then?

Edit: Forgot that Persona 4 was also released in 2008, so that counts as well.

Bruticis

I'll try just about any kind of RPG on a computer or console (fuck you portables and handhelds). If I like it, I like it... granted I hate 99% of it. I can't stand the codex part that bashes the shit of everything without trying it first (Hi Skyway). So to sum up, play first, bash second.

Ruprekt

Scholar
Final Fantasy 12 showed how to do RTWP without devolving to "press button something awesome happens". I'd rank that game higher than nearly everything out of western studios in the past decade.

Pity 13 went "full-retard".

Mortmal

Arcane
Mediocre ? No far from it, i find it comparable to FF12 , grandia or rogue galaxy if you remember that, theres nothing less in this game than the other acclaimed blockbusters, i dont remmber any new jjrgp doing anything better in fact.Its really huge, i dont remember a bigger Jrpg no, sure lot of quests are mmorpg like, but thats exactly the same in every jrpgs kill x get x , find x get back.
Combat has not enough substance true , could be better , well combat has rarely any more substance than this sadly, theres at least combos to make and skills to level up , much more stats in this than a bioware next gen game.
Lost odissey is widely considered as vastly inferior that if you read most serious reviews , not need to compare to it.
You may prefer persona or devil survivor type of jrpgs, its very different system and hardly comparable . Persona a bit (really a small bit) more mature and has true turn based combat with quite complex demon customization system, its really not on the same branch of the tree.
Putting a game like persona and xenoblade on the same jrpg label is pretty much putting witcher and wizardry 8 under the same rpg label. Its not a mediocre game it just not something for your tastes.
The sales on it are surprisingly good, not that it proves anything, since the sims still outsells it, but i think it managed to convince many jrpg fans.
Anyway its playing that or retro gaming, since i really dont find anything worth playing anymore, so its a decent alternative .

deuxhero

Arcane
Hobo Elf said:
I guess Lost Odyssey and Demon's Souls weren't released this gen, then?

Edit: Forgot that Persona 4 was also released in 2008, so that counts as well.

P4 was on the PS2 though (as was Vs. King Abaddon).

Never really heard of LO and DS is more of a Diablo clone than jRPG.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Hobo Elf said:
Didn't forget it, I just haven't played it yet so I can't comment on it.

Oh god yes, forgot about VC. Play it hobo, along with Demons Souls (more a W-ARPG made in Japan really), easily the best jRPG this gen - if you can look past the typical anime adult/child characters, it has some really great tactical TB combat and a beautiful watercolour art style.

:thumbsup:

Stinger

Arcane
What's roughly the system requirements for wii emulation?

I have 2.4 ghz quad + 2 GB RAM (yeah yeah I know it's shit) + GTX 550 Ti graphics card...would that be able to run it ok?

I'd softmod my actual wii but I'm worried I'll fuck up and brick it.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Stinger said:
What's roughly the system requirements for wii emulation?

I have 2.4 ghz quad + 2 GB RAM (yeah yeah I know it's shit) + GTX 550 Ti graphics card...would that be able to run it ok?

I'd softmod my actual wii but I'm worried I'll fuck up and brick it.

Your system shoud be fine I think. There's some tweaking you can do in Dolphin to get better frame rates (Res/AA/AF etc), but I doubt you'd need much. You know you'd easily get 3ghz (more if you're prepared to fuck around) out of that cpu and RAM is super cheap atm.... Video adapter is fine.

I just re-hacked my Wii after someone accidentally upgraded it to 4.3 :twisted: - follow this guide (to-the-letter) and it's piss easy really:

http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials-only/60921-guide-softmod-any-wii.html

Best reason for the Wii's existence is the awesome Homebrew/Emulator scene. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom