Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Xenoblade, finally a good JRPG?

felicity

Scholar
Combat is worse than FF12. You can't switch party control in combat. No pause function. Skills have MMO design like cooldown timer and -0.541s CD each level. Big open area that contains nothing interesting. It's like a mix of DA:O and Oblivion and somehow they managed to make it even worse.

Overhyped 10/10

Repressed Homosexual
AlaCarcuss said:
Stinger said:
What's roughly the system requirements for wii emulation?

I have 2.4 ghz quad + 2 GB RAM (yeah yeah I know it's shit) + GTX 550 Ti graphics card...would that be able to run it ok?

I'd softmod my actual wii but I'm worried I'll fuck up and brick it.

Your system shoud be fine I think. There's some tweaking you can do in Dolphin to get better frame rates (Res/AA/AF etc), but I doubt you'd need much. You know you'd easily get 3ghz (more if you're prepared to fuck around) out of that cpu and RAM is super cheap atm.... Video adapter is fine.

I just re-hacked my Wii after someone accidentally upgraded it to 4.3 :twisted: - follow this guide (to-the-letter) and it's piss easy really:

http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials-only/60921-guide-softmod-any-wii.html

Best reason for the Wii's existence is the awesome Homebrew/Emulator scene. :salute:

Or you could just get a netbook with HDMI out and a USB gamepad and get infinitely more functionality.

I see no reason to own Wii hardware at all. There are next to no good games for it, and most of the decent one have been ported or will be ported to a real console, or eventually they will run smoothly under Dolphin.

Stinger

Arcane
AlaCarcuss said:
Stinger said:
What's roughly the system requirements for wii emulation?

I have 2.4 ghz quad + 2 GB RAM (yeah yeah I know it's shit) + GTX 550 Ti graphics card...would that be able to run it ok?

I'd softmod my actual wii but I'm worried I'll fuck up and brick it.

Your system shoud be fine I think. There's some tweaking you can do in Dolphin to get better frame rates (Res/AA/AF etc), but I doubt you'd need much. You know you'd easily get 3ghz (more if you're prepared to fuck around) out of that cpu and RAM is super cheap atm.... Video adapter is fine.

I just re-hacked my Wii after someone accidentally upgraded it to 4.3 :twisted: - follow this guide (to-the-letter) and it's piss easy really:

http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials-only/60921-guide-softmod-any-wii.html

Best reason for the Wii's existence is the awesome Homebrew/Emulator scene. :salute:

Thanks for the links, I'll try it out this weekend.

ortucis

Prophet
I want to try emulating Wii on my shitty dual core.

Can someone recommend a few JRPG's (or even other genres) for Wii emulator?

zeitgeist

Magister
ortucis said:

Same question. I completely ignored Wii's existence so far, and if I'm going to install an emulator I'd at least like to try out a couple of games while I'm at it. Gamespot's top Wii games list doesn't look very encouraging. Any tactical jRPGs that don't have the usual art style? Something more like Ogre Battle perhaps?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
ortucis said:

If it works, give Little King's Story a look. One of the best console games of this gen imo. Shit is challenging and fun.

Bruticis

ortucis said:

Xenoblade for one, also look into Monster Hunter Tri, Fire Emblem, and possibly Tales of Symphonia and Rune Factory if you can stomach that style (I absolutely can NOT so I haven't tried those two).

Ruprekt

Scholar
Torrented and not impressed + controls don't map well to a non-wii controller.

On the positive side I discovered that the two Gamecube Zelda's are now flawless on Dolphin.

mariog

Educated
Are ALL the sidequests fetch quests?

Looking around on the internet I've heard some people saying you can make choices during some of the quests - is it just fluff or do they have tangible consequences (yeah, I know I'm probably asking too much)?

Hobo Elf said:
If it works, give Little King's Story a look. One of the best console games of this gen imo. Shit is challenging and fun.

Is it that good? The concept does sound intriguing enough... is it a well done RPG/sim hybrid?

Bruticis

Ruprekt said:

On the positive side I discovered that the two Gamecube Zelda's are now flawless on Dolphin.

I was able to get everything to match up perfectly using a 360 controller. Are you mapping the controls on the classic controller? There's even a texture hack that changes the on screen buttons to match those of an xbox 360 controller.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
mariog said:
Are ALL the sidequests fetch quests?

Looking around on the internet I've heard some people saying you can make choices during some of the quests - is it just fluff or do they have tangible consequences (yeah, I know I'm probably asking too much)?

Hobo Elf said:

Is it that good? The concept does sound intriguing enough... is it a well done RPG/sim hybrid?

All I can say is try it out for yourself. Looks can be decieving, and oh how decieving they are in this game. It gets really brutal at times (TV Dinnah you cunt), and the story is actually pretty depressing, so I'm left wondering who the real target audiance for this game was but whatever, the gameplay is really fun, it's a bit like Pikmin if you've played that, and I enjoy the sim aspect of the game too. Expanding your little kingdom, using critical thinking and deciding what houses to build to get which units. You also get your own harem of princesses that hang around your castle, which expands the more bitches and whores you gather.

ortucis

Prophet
Is Wii emulation less resource hungry than PS2?

Before I bother getting the games I just want to make sure that I will at least be able to launch the games and not see them turn magically into a slideshow. :P

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Bruticis said:
Ruprekt said:

I was able to get everything to match up perfectly using a 360 controller. Are you mapping the controls on the classic controller? There's even a texture hack that changes the on screen buttons to match those of an xbox 360 controller.

Also, if you have a Wiimote (and nunchuck) + blue tooth adapter for PC, you can get the full experience.

I picked up a BT adapter for $5 on ebay and use a wireless sensor bar for both Dolphin and the Wii - works great. Basically turns your PC into a HD Wii.

As for games, Monster Hunter Tri is fun, both No More Heroes games and Red Steel 2 (forget the first one) make great use of the Wiimote for combat. Mario Galaxies are great puzzle platformers (if you can stand the art style), Zak an Wiki, Little Kings Story... RE4 on Wii is awesome with the Wiimote (although a bit easier due to more accurate shooting).

Don't forget also all the stuff available on Virtual Console (old an new) you can download as wad's and play in Dolphin as well and of course most of the GC catalogue.

Bruticis

AlaCarcuss said:
Also, if you have a Wiimote (and nunchuck) + blue tooth adapter for PC, you can get the full experience.

I picked up a BT adapter for $5 on ebay and use a wireless sensor bar for both Dolphin and the Wii - works great. Basically turns your PC into a HD Wii.

I also did this, worked fine. I paid $3 for the BT adapter and $8 for the wireless sensor bar from amazon. You really don't need to do all that for a game like Xenoblade that uses the classic controller but for anything else, I highly recommend it.

Perkel

Arcane
I picked it up.

Few thoughts:

- Absolutely amazing Art design and Landscape design. I am like 8 hours into it and honestly area wise this game seems to be much bigger than Skyrim and what is more important it feels good just to run and view landscapes. I am playing at 4xnative res + AF and honestly this games looks amazing. Sure technology wise there are no shaders and such but game definetely excells in area design and you feel like you want to traverse those mountains, plains atc.
- Character wise.. Not my favorite game currently, standard JRPG rag emo team.
- Story wise i can't say much but premise and lore looks amazing. I hope it won't end up in some hurr durr deus ex machina like almost every other Jrpg.
- Combat. I am not a fan of MMO combat design with cooldowns and such. At start i didn't really like it but it definitely grew on me much more than FF12 combat system which is similar (more or less). I think point is that combat feels simply good. Using your agro dude to make enemies attack him where you deal backstabs and try to slow and phys down effect from sides from time to time. Most of enemies are dispatched rather quickly and you don't have this "oh fucking boring" feel you have in FF12 waiting eon for every action.
- Loot wise at start i though it will be good but so far i see only reapeated (art wise) gear and most of uniques are simply gear with locked up gems. Gems themselves are interesting idea but so far i can't really make anything usefull.
- Monsterwise it's diablo with ton of repeating monsters with different levels just with different skin sets.
- Dialog wise it's a bit less JRPG but roots are there (some characters being JRPG whinny) It is definetely not strong nor character intereaction.

Honestly they could remove all combat from this game and make it sort of adventure game where your job is to find things and explore that would be amazing game considering those landscapes and exploration currently in game.

So far i am interested but if story won't pick up i will drop it because it will be like FF12 where story was weak and what was left were fedex quests.

Is it best JRPG this Gen ? So far not and i don't see option to even upgrade that status in near future. It all depends on story.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Story is alright, it's just that there's a metric ton of sidequests which will leave you overleveled and completely drained if you attempt to clear every area 100% upon entering. How far into the story are you? Because Shulk is sort of a token MC who only picks up the plot device because Dunban literally can't use it any more. I mean, he's nowhere near Vaan as far as irrelevance to the plot goes, but it's clear he takes the back seat for some part of the game.

Perkel

Arcane
Currently just after prison island.

Yeah no way i will be doing this shiton of FedEx quests. I learned it hardway after i cleared first 3-4 areas. What i am doing now only are sidequests involving named characters.

Few more thoughts:

Currently struggle to find resources to build lv2 colony 6 upgrades. That first ~water item from monster was straight up bullshit requiring me to hunt monster which are only in rain and have small drop chance. For lvl2 i have no idea where to find items beside few collectibles. This is especially annoying as every monster has like 10-20 different variants and 2-3 can be on same map in different regions and sometimes 4-5 different variants can be in same place. So if you want to find something "bunny" you have to literally search every map and kill enough those things to be sure this item doesn't drop from this variety of monster.

So far loot is complete crap. All weapons look the same, work the same and all "uniques" are downright rubbish. Usually if weapon doesn't have 3 slots for gems it's just piece of shit regardless of damage block rate and so on because you simply can't find actually better gear that actually is "better". More or less weapon progression is completely linear. 100-200 , 120 - 220 , 150 - 250 and so on. So when you beat even high level monster marked as yellow and he drops weapon you just only roll eyes.

Furthermore on combat.
"ARTS" (skills for people who don't know) at first glance looked MMOish but there is much more to it than just cooldowns. Upgrading abilities gives more damage, shorter cooldowns, better effects but more important it creates situations in which you can chain ARTS. Couple that with character movement, agro, defending, healing and you are basically playing orchestra in which everything has its place. You quickly learn how to do combat on small scale but with progress you are more and more fighting with mosnters in groups and this is where high level tactic comes to play. As character you are dealing combos and such but this is only secondary thing because you are fighting now like a robot (knowing exactly what to do without thinking "two arts in side, backslash, lessen agro, monado speed on aggro dude and so on). High level tactic on other hand involves analyse flow of combat, how many monsters you are fighting, which monster choose to deal with first, movement of squad and so on.
Combat definetely is fun on basic level as simply pulling of backslash but high level tactic definitely is taking place here and this is a bit suprising that they were able to manage to do it in real time highly action combat. Under facade of MMOish, hurrdurr action combat there is definitely ton of tactic involved in how you tackle you enemies and how you controll flow of combat or what gems you use.

Speaking about gems. This leads me to gems mechanic.
It's fucking great. Not only socketing but also gem creation mechanic is in own sense fun. Connecting it to actually character relations as better relation = more turns (in forge = better gems essentially or better extracts) has actually impact on carrot and stick to FedEx and named characters quests, couple that with crystals that come more or less from monsters which each giving you ability to craft various of gems and suddenly impact of FedEx quests is not that big as each of those quests give you pretect to hund down some monsters and getting those crystals. Naturally in the end FedEx quests are still terrible but hunting monsters for different skill gems is not terrible design. By far gem creation mechanic is where i had most fun in game as it creates this stategy where you take shitty 12% Increase Aggro weapon gem and try to make it as close to 99% but not to reach 100% (this will make gem). Get two of those at 99% and you will have 198% starting point in furnace where 200% is heat mode where it gives you same gem but one level higher(1-5 levels so it's rather big increse) get to 300% and you have Mega Heat mode and you will get two gems instead of one of higher level. So this is definitely one of the best minigames i have ever played in RPG and it is actuall minigame instead of shitty press something to continue.
Only minus i found is lack of progression on tiers as you can't make tier 1 ingredients into tier 2 so after you will find your lvl2 ingredients lvl1 becomes useless and this continues until you probably reach lvl 4-5 ingredients. It would be much better system if there would be some patters that player would be able to discover so that for example few this, this and this would create 2% extract of one level higher but different skill. Couple that with colony6 upgrade giving new abilities to furnace and game wouldn't be unbalanced (colony lvls would require further game progress) as FF8 junction system (which gave you ability to have end game spells on first area with a little grinding). IT would be amazing if for example there would be a reason to hold lvl1 ingredients as for example there are skills that can be found only with lvl1 gems and to have lvl 5 of that gem you will need to put some serious work into it.

Story.
So far game definitely picked up. As of what you said i don't agree. Main character is definitely main character and not bystander. Sure he isn't probably the best character there is in JRPGs but overall his goals, reasoning are valid and you can put yourself in his skin. It is definetely not Vaan which for FFXII story was essentially no one (literally they could cut him from game and there wouldn't be any change to story, he is just plot tool to gather Balthier, Ashe and Bash together). Coming back to story, mythos of people living on two ancient giants is definitely interesting for me and this curiosity only grows as game keeps this side of story on back-burner for events which are happening currently and the more you progress the more you see underlying machinations of someone/something which only grow as game progresses. Problem is that i have little hope that they will pull of story. I played many JRPGs with interesting lore and world but as soon as you finally grasp which is which you start to notice plot holes everywhere, idiocy of people living in that world and overall rubbishness of details which at first glance were interesting but later you found out they were shit.
So far game doesn't do that and its good considering i clocked already 32 hours. High entia characters though are terrible including your party member. Art design aside (wings out of head not respecting any even slightest sense of biomechanics ? Only in Japan !) they are basically your high elves down right to every trope in modern fantasy they have. Only difference here is that they actually have bad apples and internal politics much closer to human ones (aka believable).

Bonus.
I love idea of building nation introduced as Colony 6. It definitely caught me offguard as i literally didn't predict it which is awesome as moments like those are rare in gaming. Problem is as i mentioned finish this feature lacks. Bonus for finishing all LVL1 structures was arbitrary as hell and i don't think there will be bonus like that for lvl2 and onwards.

Summary so far of my thoughts after 32h in:

As i said earlier game has strong points from start and with progress it only added points instead of losing. I found story so far interesting as well as lore, character wise it's still bit better JRPG whiny drama but it is no typical JRPG territory. Combat grew on me and i found it to have high level tactic instead of typical rinse and reapeat scheme from other JRPGs and the more enemies you fight the more skill you need to properly control flow of battle. Art aside from design of one race is exceptional and landscape design as well as level design continues to amaze me. After trying to do everything in first few areas i learned hardway that fedex quests should be skipped and i should only focus on few important sidequests and main story. I found gem crafting one of best features of game and opposite to that i found that loot is worse that you can imagine in any RPG.

TLDR: Game is fun so far with few problems so i'll continue to play it. Usually i don't like most of "J"RPGs but this so far seems to grab me.

Avellion

Erudite
Game's story high point is in the first 2 thirds, but drop in the last third or so. But even at its worst, I still enjoyed it more than David Gaider's drivel.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Game is coming to the New 3DS. Not that I will be able to play it as I am a peasant with an Old 3DS.

Martius

Liturgist
Judging by trailer it will look even worse which is a shame. At least it will be another option to play it since even used copies of Wii version are still expensive like hell.

Perkel

Arcane
Game is coming to the New 3DS. Not that I will be able to play it as I am a peasant with an Old 3DS.

Considering main attraction of game is exploration then 3DS version will be easily 5/10 game. I can't stress enough how much game gains through proper landscape graphics.

I i just finished it clocking 90h lvl 79.

TLDR version. It is good game.

Game first looks like MMO single player game but those fetch quests grow on you and by mid game you are doing them because you want to improve societies in that world. Aside for few very stupid quests and downright "you need to look it @ web" quests most of them are definitely doable and game is packed with optional content.

For someone who is not interested in sidequests he can easily just fallow main path and grind a bit before each boss battle and he would do well. I did 1/2 of overall optional quests in game and almost no lvl 80+ special bosses i saw on my journey.

Story: Remember when i said deus ex machina ? Good damn JRPG tropes. If you are starting this game don't expect "good" as usual in JRPGs. Frankly i think game would have much better ending if it would end on Mechonis with you know who boss battle. All after that is stupid ride of typical JRPG i doublecrossed you/ betreyed and so on. Up until battle on mechonis everything was more or less logical but after that it completely lost me. Especially ending.
So storywise C-. BUT there is also the Journey. And that was excellent. Mind you ton of that was optional content. But it was fun and characters difinitely were interesting and surprisingly they were not so JRPG drama.

Combat: Game devolved at the end to one schematic and bosses became unimaginative. Support gems especially tier 6 broke the game, combine that with revive system gauge or topple/daze/breach mechanic and you have very unbalanced combat.
What really did grind my teeth was fucking obvious RUBBERBANDING. Levels are everything even if you character doesn't do any better damage, more agility, more streanght, buffs etc. In essence it means that no mather what you do you can't beat lvl10+ above you monsters because they will either deal you absolute hammering damage AND you will miss 99% of time.

Here is example. Gogol monster from Bionis ledge is in between 75 and 77 near bridge. I was trying to take them on on lvl 65. NOPE.
Now I am lvl 73 and have exactly the same gear and gems and i destroy them without anyone even close to dying.

This is the reason why i didn't try to tackle on better enemies or optional end game bosses. Because tactic doesn't matter nor your gems and strategy. What you need is magical level that is 2-3 above them and you can take them without any problems.
This was especially visible in Gadolt boss battle where i leveled literally 2 levels and suddenly from unwinable battle i won without any problem.
Combat works only if your are near lvl of enemy below his range. I like flow of battle. IT is fun but fuck it is so bad if you know mechanics...

Combat F. This is Skyrim Bullshit right here. Even FFX other mainstream RPG has better combat being almost decade old simply because it reward you for thinking and taking out hardest bosses in that game required stats and tactic instead of grinding for bigger level.

As i mentioned game is alone worth for world design and the journey. Everytime you enter new area you are fucking amazed with its design and scale and how it fits together.

There is also NG+ in which you keep LVL and gear you want so reaching overall "open up" point should take 2-3 hours considering that you can skip every scene.

Avellion

Erudite
Agility was too damn important in Xenoblade and made all other stats redundant, put Agility gems into every slot until you reach the agility cap. All other stats paled in comparison and strength and ether were particulary useless.

rbenchley

Educated
Patron
Is Wii emulation less resource hungry than PS2?

Before I bother getting the games I just want to make sure that I will at least be able to launch the games and not see them turn magically into a slideshow. :P

Dolphin is probably about even with PCSX2 when it comes to system requirements, maybe a little more optimized. To play everything at full speed, you need a dual core or better that clocks up around 4gHz, although some games are less demanding. My desktop has the i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5 gHz and I play everything at full speed, 1080p or better. If you have a slower CPU you might still be fine, but you probably won't be able to push it past 480p and you might drop frames.

Perkel

Arcane
Agility was too damn important in Xenoblade and made all other stats redundant, put Agility gems into every slot until you reach the agility cap. All other stats paled in comparison and strength and ether were particulary useless.

Yeah. I really was interested in combat system at start because FF8 like system it had really promise to deliver something good and original. Instead they didn't balance gems at all, nor stats nor even enemies hence why lvl is so important.
Gem forge minigame though is amazing considering how it ties with characters affinity, heat mechanic and so on.

Dolphin is probably about even with PCSX2 when it comes to system requirements, maybe a little more optimized. To play everything at full speed, you need a dual core or better that clocks up around 4gHz, although some games are less demanding. My desktop has the i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5 gHz and I play everything at full speed, 1080p or better. If you have a slower CPU you might still be fine, but you probably won't be able to push it past 480p and you might drop frames.

Rule of thumb for Emulation is that CPU is everything. Dolphin emulation is definetely more intensive than PS2 but at the same time it is way better than PS2 in therm of speed. Sounds like oxymoron but it is a fact. Wii runs games more complicated than ps2 and current emulator state provides playable games at ~ the same CPU as in PCSX2.

even low tier GPU will do with emulator.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom