Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Xenonauts 2

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Tzaero, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Tzaero DEPARTED Patron

Infinitron
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/69341191/xenonauts-2-strategic-planetary-defence-simulator

http://www.xenonauts.com

https://www.gog.com/game/xenonauts_2?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8

Show Spoiler
    So the guys at Goldhawk may be gearing up for Xenonauts 2 and this time they're going to deviate from the formula.
    At the moment they're gathering ideas in a new section of the forum, so get over there.
    Heres one thing from there.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  2. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Infinitron
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. ArchAngel Arcane

Infinitron
    All this sounds awesome! I want to play that game!

^ Top  
  4. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Infinitron
  5. Luka-boy Arcane

Infinitron
    As long as they don't simplify the tactical layer...

But yeah, these changes in the strategic layer sound good to me so far. One of my few complaints about Xenonauts is that it didn't make full use of the Cold War setting.

I feel neutral about that new air combat system. I'd need to see it in action. I liked the air combat in the original way too much to openly embrace a complete redesign instead of adding the experience/manoeuvres/upgrades to the original system. Some bits in there...
    ...remind me of the air combat in UFO Aftermath too. Of course all the other changes would make it different from U:A, but I'm just saying.

^ Top  
  6. 34scell Savant

Infinitron
    What a terrible idea. X-com only really works by being asymmetrical and this is taking even more focus away from the aliens themselves when there's already going to be purely human infiltration missions.

EDIT:

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/...e-Cold-War?s=2f1ea805ee39e3c336c661b877fe9362

^ Top  
  7. Alienman Arcane Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    What happened to the pathfinder game?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. ArchAngel Arcane

Infinitron
    I don't agree. I like to have different kind of missions and this will let it be like that. And if they expand the mechanics even more to be more like JA2 that would be awesome.

^ Top  
  9. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Infinitron
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I agree. X-com, or rather the xenonauts, should be represent all of humanity. The whole premise of it is after all the all the nations realize they can't stop the alien threat alone, and they need a combined effort.

^ Top  
  10. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

Infinitron
    I disagree. We already have dozens of games like that. Original UFO and TFTD of course, the UFO: Axx series, nuXCom and Xenonauts, not to mention the open source and mod projects. It's not a bad idea to change things around a bit like that.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. 34scell Savant

Infinitron
    Well, logically and thematically, if the aliens are trying to spark a nuclear war, then the xenonauts goal should be to prevent conflict, not helping one side dominate the other. Isn't that the point of these infiltration missions?

^ Top  
  12. Luka-boy Arcane

Infinitron
    The only way I see myself enjoying that angle is if in the end you uncover the full alien plot and both sides join for the endgame.

^ Top  
  13. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

Infinitron
    Do they have a full-time mental tap on me? Because I already thought VERY similar concepts (Aliens try to spark nuclear war between NATO and Warsaw Pact/Play as one side of the Cold to get new alien tech AND dominate the other side). Even including other rogue agents (conspiracies and tinpot dictators wanting that sweet alien tech, etc).
    Even had the idea that if nukes are launched, you get a DEFCON-style nuclear war going all over your Geoscape, the better your tech and air forces, the more you can stop/help the destruction. Complete with grisly descriptions of the nuclear war.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Elthosian Arcane

Infinitron
    Yeah this, they seem to have deleted the thread about it in their forums.

^ Top  
  15. Misconnected Savant

Infinitron
    Xenonauts 2?

.... I just came... Buckets

^ Top  
  16. MasterSmithFandango Arcane

Infinitron
    ^ Top  
  17. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Infinitron
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Overall Strategic Summary:
    • The aliens no longer have the capability to win an outright war with humanity - instead, they are secretly infiltrating our society and attempting to trigger nuclear war between NATO and the USSR.
    • The world will be divided into 10 regions, as it is in Xenonauts. However they will all be assigned to either the NATO, USSR or Non-Aligned sphere of influence.
    • There are DEFCON counters for NATO and the USSR. Alien activity in the respective territories will increase the appropriate DEFCON counter, and activity in non-aligned states is split between the two.
    • Alien activity sparks Geoscape "events", which consist of a potentially dangerous event and several solutions for the player to choose from (each choice will spawn a different ground combat mission or have an associated strategic resource cost, etc).
    • UFOs are intercepted as they try to escape Earth after having sparked an "event". Successfully shooting them down opens a ground combat mission that may unlock new alien technology and resources, but does not prevent ground missions occurring.
    http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/...3242-Xenonauts-2-Further-Strategy-Development

:bounce:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    ^ Top  
  18. Inspectah Learned

Infinitron
    Oooooooh shit
    Show Spoiler
    :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

^ Top  
  19. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Infinitron
    Not a fan of arbitrary "you can only respond to one of these events". Why can't I build a second skyranger, if its an issue of time?

^ Top  
  20. Luka-boy Arcane

Infinitron
    It doesn't say you only respond to one event, but that each event has several possible ways to deal with it.

^ Top  
  21. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Infinitron
    "I intend to limit the number of actual combat missions playable to one Global team mission and one Local team mission per "wave", as I don't want players to feel like they have to do five missions every wave (which will be time consuming and repetitive). However there will be non-combat ways for the local teams to deal with the events, and the bonuses are increased and penalties decreased if you have more soldiers in the region ... so a large team remains useful even if not directly involved in combat! Maybe some options will allow you to risk soldier death and injury in simple autoresolved combat, gaining experience if they succeed?"
    From the link. So yeah, I guess, but still. Feels a bit like a copout.

^ Top  
  22. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Infinitron
    I can sympathize with wanting to lower the number of combat missions. They are good, but too many quickly becomes tedious, and in Xenonauts not doing 2-4 missions per wave really cut your development short and put you on the losing edge rather than the winning one. Unlike X-Com and several other strategy games, I've never finished a Xenonauts game and then immediately decided to replay another, because the thought of too many ground missions really weighed things down.

All you need is a much more fleshed-out auto combat system that has both risks and rewards. The "bombing" thing in Xenonauts really had no risk or reward, it was a sort of a band-aid fix to too much battle spam with only a very minor reward. If you still have to build a 2nd skyranger (or invest in a local base, same thing), load it with people, send them out and potentially take losses or at least huge injury times and have a non-assured chance of success, it could work well.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. ArchAngel Arcane

Infinitron
    Yea, I had more than 100 ground missions done by the time I finished the game. The problem was that enemy UFO waves were too big and it was easy to dominate in air combat and as result have many ground missions to do.

But still making artificial limitation like new Xcom is bad, I want them to find a middle ground instead.

^ Top  
  24. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Sup! http://www.xenonauts2.com/

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Infinitron
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    :incline: except unity.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)